JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not wanting to hi-jack anyone else's thread thought Id start this one:
Im interested in the board's thoughts on Hi-Points in general and in the carbines they sell. Considering a 9mmP for The Old Woman, she's a bit weight, noise and recoil sensitive. The short AR's- too much noise/blast, the full size AR's, too heavy, AK's out of the question due to weight. Have also considered a plastic .22 auto but don't know of any under production at the moment. (Used to own a plastic Remington .22 but alas it is long gone).
So, Hi-Points- Aye or Nay?

Well when I worked in the pawn shop , I saw a lot of Hi-Point pistols try to come in for a loan or outright sale.
We turned away most of them because of abuse or due to the fact that the pistol did not work any more.

In all fairness this could be due to fact that folks wanting to pawn or sell . weren't really "gun guys".
But seemed more like folks who wanted a gun to go Bang! , but really didn't know much about the care and feeding of said gun.

The carbines on the other hand , seemed to be more robust and when they did become ours they did not last long on the shelf.

The carbine ( in .9mm ) I shot , handled well.
It shot accurately and was easy to operate.
Noise and recoil was on the lower end of the scale.
It fed both the FMJ and Hollowpoint ammo we had , without a hitch.

I just don't care for them ( the pistols or carbines ) , they both feel "cheap".
Cheap as in shoddy not cheap as in inexpensive.
That said , the targets we shot that day , didn't seem to care if they were hit by the carbine or my friends Luger...
Andy

The HiPoint carbine is essentially the pistol with a long barrel and a lot of plastic wrapped around it. Kind of a pain to takedown to clean. My main problem with the HiPoint is they use the firing pin as the ejector.

I have a Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol for the recoil sensitive in the house to use. It has a 10" barrel and takes Ruger BX-25 magazines. Hopefully before the end of the year I can fabricate a "legal" suppressor can to go on the threaded barrel, slap a laser and flashlight on the pic rails and your are in business.

I've owned one pistol and 2 carbines. The pistol (.45acp), for what it's worth, functioned 100% reliably and was very accurate, so no complaints there. It can take some practice to rack the slide at first, you just have to get used to it. And yes, it's a pain to take down, but honestly, you shouldn't have to do that often, even by Hi-Point's recommendations, you can do most clean and lube you'll need without taking it down. Use something like a spray CLP and you're pretty darn good to go.

As for the carbines, I have a slightly higher opinion. For the $$, they are hard to beat for a budget gun. They would be a great choice for someone that's recoil sensitive. They don't really present much of an option for upgrades or modifications, but most folks don't buy them to build something better.

All Hi-Points are kind of ugly, few would deny that. But my biggest issue is the single-stack magazines. I get that they developed these to be compliant during the Clinton AWB years, but it's time to make a double-stack option available. If you can get past those things and want to save some $$, they are not a horrible option.

Here's some video of a Hi-Point carbine used for self-defense in a home-invasion robbery in Detroit a few years ago. This story has some bad commentary by the "news" agency that put it out - calling the Hi-Point an "assault weapon" that was "legally registered" (they just can't pass up a chance to throw that crap in there). But the story shows the Hi-Point was an effective deterrent that this woman used to protect herself and her children. Skip to 1:00 in to bypass some of the commentary:

Not me, I know nothing of Michigan gun laws. But being a strong anti-gun Dem enclave, I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of 'registration' weren't the law of the land.

JMHO but I like the Hi Points being in the market place. Personally I have looked at the carbines over the years but never at their pistols. Ugly-Smugly the things go bang and they have a very low cost point. For a certain part of the population this is all they want and that's OK. Long live the Hi Point! Who would we kick around if they weren't available? "_____?_______" Fill in the blank for your own funny comment. :) Need more coffee now.

I have shot the C9 pistol. It works. Not my cup of tea. However i owned a 995ts for a couple years before trading for something else. My first impression of it was that it is heavier than I expected. Not so heavy that it was uncomfortable to shoot though. It was a really fun range gun. My kids really enjoyed it. Recoil was very light and it went bang every time. I wouldn't mind owning one again. It is kinda of a pain to clean though.

Last Edited:
Im interested in the board's thoughts on Hi-Points in general and in the carbines they sell. Considering a 9mmP for The Old Woman, she's a bit weight, noise and recoil sensitive. The short AR's- too much noise/blast, the full size AR's, too heavy, AK's out of the question due to weight. Have also considered a plastic .22 auto but don't know of any under production at the moment. (Used to own a plastic Remington .22 but alas it is long gone).

As others have said the carbines are in my opinion worth every dime you pay for them. If you want a small carbine that uses pistol caliber ammo (PCC) and don't want or can't spend a lot, these fill the bill. For $300 you get a rifle that works. If you can and or want to spend about twice that you can get much better. The HP will work, and work well. In 9mm almost anyone should have no trouble using one. In 9mm they are the cheapest of all calibers to use too unless you want to reload. Bottom line of course there are "better" options but for the price point on these they are a very nice gun.

I like the idea of a carbine at that price point. Behind the truck seat, in the Jeep, whatever. The only reason I haven't bought one is the single stack mag. If they made one that used Glock 9mm mags, I would be all over it!!!

Difficult to say. If that is all that you can afford, then go for it. Just keep in mind that it is not a quality firearm.

Hickok45 did an informative review of them here, including showing how difficult and tedious it is to disassemble for cleaning:

Compare how negative his above HiPoint carbine review was, to his review down below of the Beretta CX4 Storm:

I think the difficult take down and lack of cleaning by "illegal" possessors in the hood is what gave HiPoint a reputation as a one-shot wonder. Any firearm is going to have problems with a chamber gummed up with carbon and a dull firing pin.

I had a TS995 and it was 100% reliable. More accurate than I could shoot it too. There is some info out there about only using HP mags otherwise they have a lifetime warranty. For the money they are almost impossible to beat but being an inexpensive gun, they do look and feel a bit cheap.

My 9mm carbine was a wreck when I got it. It was in a wet trunk of a car and I almost didn't buy it for $75.00.
After calling Hi-Point and talking to the machine shop foreman, he sent me all new parts except the sear and receiver for free with no shipping charges.
I did spend $10.00 for the stock upgrade and yes, they are kinda cheap looking, but that carbine was a tack driver.
Put a good red dot on one and you'll not be disappointed.

I like the idea of a carbine at that price point. Behind the truck seat, in the Jeep, whatever. The only reason I haven't bought one is the single stack mag. If they made one that used Glock 9mm mags, I would be all over it!!!

I have LONG said that was the one design flaw I never understood with these HP's. Why they decided to use a proprietary single stack mag. Many have said the ban but that makes zero sense. As soon as the ban started every manufacturer was making 10 round versions of their mags. If they had made those things to take Glock mags they would have easily doubled sales. It is what it is though. For what you pay you can't touch them with anything else yet. Back when they were selling for $150 I almost bought one a few times just because they were so damn cheap and fun. The mags was the only reason I did not. There are plenty of PCC's out there and in current production that were smart enough to not use a proprietary mag though. Of course you are hard pressed to find one for $300.

I've shot 2x 9mm hi point handguns came away very impressed with how accurate they shot. I had just purchased a taurus millennium pro 9mm and was excited to shoot it. My taurus sucked and my brother in laws hi point shot so much better that I sold the taurus a week later and got something else. The carbine shoots the same as the handgun but of course has more to wrap around. I always tell people to not knock them til you try one. The only thing I hate about them, really, is the take down. You have to literally hammer out a pin to remove the slide and the pin does not just slide out, you have to really bang it out.

I have the C9. It shoots fairly accurate with almost no malfunction. Interesting design. Interesting trigger. Hipoint's warranty service is very good, so I know I wouldn't worry in case something goes wrong. For the price, I think this gun deserves a good rating.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top