JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was the SW 422 a cheap gun back in 1989 when my dad traded in his 38 special revolver for it?:p

View attachment 346828 View attachment 346829

Gun manuals LONG ago went anti lawyer just like OTC medicines. While back I read some Doc lamenting this. He said OTC meds now come with a warning label 5ft long. The problem then is some times there is something in there important to some. Everyone just tosses them now. Gun manufacturers of course are doing the same thing. When I read someone trying to say this is a "cheap gun" thing I figured it was pointless to start taking cuts from PDF's since every gun manual is available in PDF now. This is the kind of thing where someone is going to tell you the sun will not rise tomorrow just to argue. Everyone is trying to keep the bottom feeders away by saying "See we told them not to get hurt with our product".

Chiming in to say had a 995 for years, it sat in the trunk and sometimes came out for plinking. Over maybe 6 years we probably put 5-6k rounds through it and cleaned it only rarely. I can't remember it ever having issues and seeing as it was a freebee from a friend who's wife said he wasn't allowed to have guns anymore (apparently she confiscated his balls and common sense as well).
Had friends who had their pistols, they got made fun of.

Like a lot.
Rather than ever buying one of their pistols I'd just suggest saving for another paycheck or two and getting something a little nicer and a lot less fugly. The warranty may be great, the gun may be ok most of the time but the question is...........

How Much is Dignity worth ?

HiPoint's are the Volvo 240's of firearms. Yes, they are big, boxy and clunky but they are basically good. Let's not forget that they are affordable. I plan on adding their .45ACP carbine to my collection at some point, or whenever some one throws one at my general direction. Nobody is forcing anyone to give up their Sig or Glock for a HiPoint. There's plenty of room for all firearms in the ammosexual economy.

Very cool. I like the guard to allow left handed shooting.
While I'm ambidexterous, my tendency is to shoot from the left side, so I would welcome that little guard with open arms!
Looks like a nicely thought out, inexpensive piece. I hope they sell a boatload of 'em.

Dean

I have thought about getting a .380 or a .45 as a sidearm for my archery bear hunt this year. Seem to get decent reviews and while not the highest quality, the lifetime warrenty is nice and it still shoots a bullet and that's what I need it to do.

HiPoint's are the Volvo 240's of firearms. Yes, they are big, boxy and clunky but they are basically good. Let's not forget that they are affordable. I plan on adding their .45ACP carbine to my collection at some point, or whenever some one throws one at my general direction. Nobody is forcing anyone to give up their Sig or Glock for a HiPoint. There's plenty of room for all firearms in the ammosexual economy.

I agree! I hear so many people talking about the uglyness of the Hi-Point! I feel the same way about the number uno, favorite handgun in the world today.....The Glock. To me they are Butt ugly. No doubt they are a very reliable ,well made gun.They are also not on the cheap end of handguns. The Hi-points are ugly as well,but are cheaper than a Glock and for the money will do what is expected of them. If you want a pretty handgun,buy a revolver or a 1911 style gun. They were the best looking handgun ever made in most opinions.
We own a Hi-Point and it sits on a night stand along with another, and I know it will do the job if I do mine.
Check out the ultimate test on the Hi_point by the Iraqveteran on youtube

I agree! I hear so many people talking about the uglyness of the Hi-Point! I feel the same way about the number uno, favorite handgun in the world today.....The Glock. To me they are Butt ugly. No doubt they are a very reliable ,well made gun.They are also not on the cheap end of handguns. The Hi-points are ugly as well,but are cheaper than a Glock and for the money will do what is expected of them. If you want a pretty handgun,buy a revolver or a 1911 style gun. They were the best looking handgun ever made in most opinions.
We own a Hi-Point and it sits on a night stand along with another, and I know it will do the job if I do mine.
Check out the ultimate test on the Hi_point by the Iraqveteran on youtube

And then the final test!

I am amused by people who fault Hi-Points because they aren't pretty.
I feel the same way about the previous first lady but I'll wager she is perfectly "functional!"

Sheldon

I have thought about getting a .380 or a .45 as a sidearm for my archery bear hunt this year. Seem to get decent reviews and while not the highest quality, the lifetime warrenty is nice and it still shoots a bullet and that's what I need it to do.
No disrespect intended here, but if I were going to rely on a handgun for personal defense in the woods while bowhunting for bear, I would want something MUCH bigger than a .380 and MUCH higher quality and lighter weight than a Hi Point.

I am amused by people who fault Hi-Points because they aren't pretty.
I feel the same way about the previous first lady but I'll wager she is perfectly "functional!"

Sheldon

LOL, I was alive for Jackie and I get smiles when I tell people this is the first FLOTUS I have thought of as hot, the one we have now.
As for the HP's I don't own one and have no intention of buying one of the pistols. It is funny as hell to watch the people acting like this is some personal affront to them that they are made. I will admit the first time I saw one I was sure it would not work. I was wrong. While I have no plan to buy one if I was suddenly broke and had no gun one would look great. If I had a choice of no gun at all and could afford one, hell yes I would buy one. If the choice was wait weeks or months to save up for something else? I would still buy one. After I had one It would then start working on getting something better later. Some keep wanting people to watch what Hickok said. The must have not bothered to watch what he said. When I did he said the same thing. He said he can't imagine someone buying several of these but if it was all you could have it was better than nothing by a long way. I guess those who "think" he agree's with them never bothered to watch the review he did. It's like some here feel they have some religion that is offended that HP's are allowed on the same market as "their guns". <sigh>
Same with the rifle they make. If someone wants something for fun, why not. If they want it for home defense and it's what they can buy today? Hell yes. Not my choice but it does't set me off that they made that choice as it seems to do here. This reminds me a lot of the caliber arguments that get this insane.

Marginally

First Ladies.jpg

What I will say about Hi Points is that if I were ever in the market for an inexpensive, pot-metal, blowback action weapon with a heavy slide and a low capacity magazine, I would absolutely choose a Hi Point over a Davis, Lorcin, Jennings, Raven or Bryco. The Hi Points are superior to the "ring of fire" guns in terms of quality and lifetime warranty. But I am at a point in life now where I choose quality over quantity. My gun collection may be relatively small compared to others, but it does not include anything made by Hi Point, Kel Tec, Taurus, or any other "budget" brand.

If weight and recoil are an issue for the OP's wife, a better choice for home defense might be a youth model 20-gauge shotgun by Remington or Mossberg. Compared to the Hi Point carbine they are better quality, far more effective in terms of close range stopping power, and can use low brass birdshot for light recoil target practice/weapon familiarity and buckshot or slugs for home defense. All in the same price range as a Hi Point carbine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Back Top