JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes, but from what Ive read I don't want to search with the WML but use the handheld. I think for me what I need to learn is the transition from handheld to turning on the WML once the target is identified. Ive always just practiced the Harris technique, thus why I'm not certain I need a WML. My buddy and I were talking about practicing some low light shooting within that half hour after sunset window sometime this summer, why Im considering adding a WML.
Just remember, there may be a time you'll also have a cell phone (for LE, one hand on a radio mic) in one hand.

Having a WML is a good idea, two biggest names and best choices (IMO) are Streamlight and Surefire.

Streamlight TLR HL is my preference for pistol lights and everyone makes a holster for it assuming you are using a common pistol.

Pro Tip: Make absolutely sure you can find a holster you like for your gun/light combo BEFORE you buy the light.

There are tons of lights out there. But as you move away from Surefire and/or TLR 1/2, the holster options drop off pretty quickly. And doubly so if you've got a less common pistol.

Good choice. I've got a TLR2 on my 'what the he!! was that' Glock, and it's a dandy. The adjuster screws froze up (many years old) so it made the trip back to Streamlight. They fixed the problem, did several battery contact upgrades and the difference is very noticeable in brightness. Free of charge, no headaches. Perfect customer service. One of my boys has a TLR1-HL and it's brighter than heck.

Lots of Olight hate out there, but on a whim (and for a good price) I put an Olight PL-Mini2 on my G23. It fits well, locks up solid, bright as heck (for its size), and the magnetic recharger is pretty cool. Is it 'better' than a Streamlight or the SureFire.....of course not. But, for the price I find it to be trustworthy and it's not going anywhere. As they say, one man's opinion......

I think for a first light the Streamlight has a good reputation, customer service and popular enough to have good holster selections. We will see where having a WML light will take me now, i look forward to reading up on techniques and getting some practice in this summer.

I think for a first light the Streamlight has a good reputation, customer service and popular enough to have good holster selections. We will see where having a WML light will take me now, i look forward to reading up on techniques and getting some practice in this summer.
Technique's are basically like this:

Use gun as you regularly would.

Don't use gun flashlight as a flashlight for general illumination, use a separate flashlight as a flashlight and if the need arises that you need your gun, you then have an additional option to use the gun light which would free up a hand to have better grip on gun.

Technique's are basically like this:

Use gun as you regularly would.

Don't use gun flashlight as a flashlight for general illumination, use a separate flashlight as a flashlight and if the need arises that you need your gun, you then have an additional option to use the gun light which would free up a hand to have better grip on gun.
Yup, thats the basics but I need to get the transition from handheld to WML into some basic muscle memory skills and thats where I need to do some reading, viewing and practicing.
I haven't really started but will now that the hardware is on the way. I need something simple and basic to start with.

Yup, thats the basics but I need to get the transition from handheld to WML into some basic muscle memory skills and thats where I need to do some reading, viewing and practicing.
I haven't really started but will now that the hardware is on the way. I need something simple and basic to start with.
Transition depends on if the gun is drawn and at ready or if gun is still in holster. Generally either way you could simply drop the flashlight if the need arose to utilize both hands for gun handling.

I try not to over think it. If there is a perceived deadly threat, light on gun being used for illumination is warranted. You could high index the trigger finger for that additional moment of thinking to avoid shooting something you don't want to.

Most of these gun lights are so bright that you can point them at the floor or ceiling and still illuminate nearly any room in a house.

Transition depends on if the gun is drawn and at ready or if gun is still in holster. Generally either way you could simply drop the flashlight if the need arose to utilize both hands for gun handling.

I try not to over think it. If there is a perceived deadly threat, light on gun being used for illumination is warranted. You could high index the trigger finger for that additional moment of thinking to avoid shooting something you don't want to.

Most of these gun lights are so bright that you can point them at the floor or ceiling and still illuminate nearly any room in a house.
I'll be doing some reading on it otherwise I'm just guessing. This is the thing with adding gadgets to guns it requires new levels of training otherwise its just being tacticool. Ive never put much emphasis on low light training, unfortunately, just the basic Harris technique and I keep the gun holstered while searching the few times Ive heard bumps in the night. I do think it will be fun to learn more here.

I'll be doing some reading on it otherwise I'm just guessing. This is the thing with adding gadgets to guns it requires new levels of training otherwise its just being tacticool. Ive never put much emphasis on low light training, unfortunately, just the basic Harris technique and I keep the gun holstered while searching the few times Ive heard bumps in the night. I do think it will be fun to learn more here.
Oh yea! Bump in the night and I'm inside my house. Gun is presented and I use the weapon light to search.

Oh yea! Bump in the night and I'm inside my house. Gun is presented and I use the weapon light to search.
This would be a good time to define "bump in the night"?
My teen scared the crap outta me one night when she was scared, so I never draw until I have positively identified a threat. If I felt strongly enough there was someone else in my house Im barracaiding the family and calling 911, has been what Ive rehersed. The few bumps in the night have never turned up anyone, I think a possum on the back porch knocked something over, kids "heard something".... things like that.

My teen scared the crap outta me one night when she was scared, so I never draw until I have positively identified a threat. If I felt strongly enough there was someone else in my house Im barracaiding the family and calling 911, has been what Ive rehersed. The few bumps in the night have never turned up anyone, I think a possum on the back porch knocked something over, kids "heard something".... things like that.
It's just me and my wife. So situation obviously dictates.

Yep, plenty of teens have been shot sneaking back into the house by a parent who responded to, "bumps in the night."

Not just teens but Ive heard or read in the news (sadly...) several scenarios where a gun didn't need to come into play so I'm keeping mine in a holster untill needed. I dug out an old paddle holster that easily slips on for bedstand duty.

It's just me and my wife. So situation obviously dictates.
Same here. Around here, its me and my wife, and a bunch of little dogs that sleep in the bedroom with us. If I hear something in the house I'll go look, but if its outside and more than a raccoon or other critter looking for dinner, we'll hunker down and call 911. Garbage cans are in the garage, so pretty much no foraging going on.

I've had several Streamlight products fail on me, won't own another one. Save a few more nickels and get a SF X300U or be content with a substandard WML.
What I like about your reviews is I know when you give one it will be a darn solid choice.
Unfortunately for my project I'm not ready to spend the extra money on one. I'm still on the fence if I even need a WML but I know that if it turns out I see the clear advantage I will be remembering your recommendations for a Surefire.

What I like about your reviews is I know when you give one it will be a darn solid choice.
Unfortunately for my project I'm not ready to spend the extra money on one. I'm still on the fence if I even need a WML but I know that if it turns out I see the clear advantage I will be remembering your recommendations for a Surefire.
Almost every gun that I would most likely use in a SD situation has WML mount to it, including rifles, shotguns and handguns. The notable exceptions are small guns intended it highly concealable, such as my S&W 442 and G43.

Here is my 3rd and final issue with a failed Streamlight...
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/laser-light-combo-for-glock-19.354610/#post-2815904

Almost every gun that I would most likely use in a SD situation has WML mount to it, including rifles, shotguns and handguns. The notable exceptions are small guns intended it highly concealable, such as my S&W 442 and G43.

Here is my 3rd and final issue with a failed Streamlight...
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/laser-light-combo-for-glock-19.354610/#post-2815904
looks like I will have to go easy on the Streamlight I ordered today.
Im curious what kind of paces you put your guns thru, I trust your experience and knowledge but my light probably wont get a lot of heavy use it just needs to be functional to learn WML tactics.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top