JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really having a dog in this fight so to speak...
Could the warning for having a gun with a empty chamber or not loading be for "safety" issues , rather than a mechanical fault or flaw?
Just asking ...
Andy
I'm pretty sure the Hi Point owners manual said not to chamber or load their gun until you are ready to shoot the gun.

Last Edited:
Not really having a dog in this fight so to speak...
Could the warning against having a gun with a empty chamber or not loading be for "safety" issues , rather than a mechanical fault or flaw?
Just asking ...
Andy

Thing I noticed about all the cheap guns I used to sell is the instructions forbid the loading of ammo until the gun is ready to be fired.
I prefer to think the safest way to handle a modern gun worth less than $200 in brand new condition is to not load it at all :eek:

Only fair for me to say that many of my clients loved their Hi Point pistols and rifles

Was the SW 422 a cheap gun back in 1989 when my dad traded in his 38 special revolver for it?:p

20170303_182131.jpg 20170303_182125.jpg

I bet it cost less than $200 when he bought it :eek:
The S&W 422 was definitely an economy model
I'd bet that everything was significantly cheaper back in 1989. $80 SKS, $50 Mosin Nagants, $100-150 M1 Carbines... $200 Winchester 30-30s......... and that was for the collector grade ones I bet ;)

A post on the SW forums indicates that a guy paid $225 for a used one back in 2009, and the previous owner had paid about the same 17 years before then; but that was when they were in production. I see on Gunbroker that they're right about $330 or more without original box and magazines. My dad has like 5 magazines and everything for it, including holster (Uncle Mike's), and that one all-important orange thingamajig to help disassemble the thing.

EDIT: To date, this thing is far more accurate than any of my dad's other handguns.... even with econobox ammo

Well, Ive seen enuff.. if Hickok45 has issues with it, I need go no further. It would be too bulky and big for The Old Woman. She doesnt need a weapon that she has to argue with to get it into battery with a live mag... If I have to monkey with a pistol to shoot it, well that's one thing, been around the block a few times dealing with jams and heavy cocking etc.. not good for a "starting out" piece... Thanks for the responses, guys!

Last Edited:
I'd bet that everything was significantly cheaper back in 1989. $80 SKS, $50 Mosin Nagants, $100-150 M1 Carbines... $200 Winchester 30-30s......... and that was for the collector grade ones I bet ;)

A post on the SW forums indicates that a guy paid $225 for a used one back in 2009, and the previous owner had paid about the same 17 years before then; but that was when they were in production. I see on Gunbroker that they're right about $330 or more without original box and magazines. My dad has like 5 magazines and everything for it, including holster (Uncle Mike's), and that one all-important orange thingamajig to help disassemble the thing.

EDIT: To date, this thing is far more accurate than any of my dad's other handguns.... even with econobox ammo
I've still got my thingamajig too but use a spent .22 shell.
good gun

Well, Ive seen enuff.. if Hickok45 has issues with it, I need go no further. It would be too bulky and big for The Old Woman. She doesnt need a weapon that she has to argue with to get it into battery with a live mag... Thanks for the responses, guys!
It's just one guy who calls himself a Subject Matter Expert.
THe fact is, it IS about the same weight as an AR, and a little bit bulkier due to the fat stock. I would recommend finding a Nylon 66 or similar .22 semiauto rifle.... a .22 WMR might be better but that's harder to find I think.

Here is the big problem I can think of right away.
weight
SHe wants a lightweight something, right?

recoil
one without much if any recoil?

The Hi Point 995 is heavy for its caliber, BUT it has very negligible recoil, because of the weight/mass absorbing most of that recoil...

the AR, being pretty light for its caliber, has a more pronounced recoil, for some, BUT if it is too heavy for her, then that pretty much preclude everything but a .22 rifle.

Well, Ive seen enuff.. if Hickok45 has issues with it, I need go no further. It would be too bulky and big for The Old Woman. She doesnt need a weapon that she has to argue with to get it into battery with a live mag... Thanks for the responses, guys!
Hickok45 likes Glocks. Get her a G19 and a 33 round mag and call it good. should run about $300.
lol

It's just one guy who calls himself a Subject Matter Expert.
THe fact is, it IS about the same weight as an AR, and a little bit bulkier due to the fat stock. I would recommend finding a Nylon 66 or similar .22 semiauto rifle.... a .22 WMR might be better but that's harder to find I think.

Here is the big problem I can think of right away.
weight
SHe wants a lightweight something, right?

recoil
one without much if any recoil?

The Hi Point 995 is heavy for its caliber, BUT it has very negligible recoil, because of the weight/mass absorbing most of that recoil...

the AR, being pretty light for its caliber, has a more pronounced recoil, for some, BUT if it is too heavy for her, then that pretty much preclude everything but a .22 rifle.

Have you seen the newer, spring loaded buttstock models yet?--Very Tactical

Have you seen the $75 assembled Anderson AR-15 lowers??
You could assemble a good shooting AR very inexpensively these days

Have you seen the newer, spring loaded buttstock models yet?--Very Tactical

Have you seen the $75 assembled Anderson AR-15 lowers??
You could assemble a good shooting AR very inexpensively these days
Oh I know. I built two ARs for under $600 each. The newer 995 with spring loaded buttstock is okay but still heavy. Unless you were talking about the AR?
OP already said his wife says the AR is too heavy for her.:confused:

I'll never own a Hi Point. For any reason. That's that.
Thats your right. Doesnt mean no one should :rolleyes:

In general?...they're low cost and do the job. Available to even the least heeled of citizens and don't pretend to be anything more. As good as the price allows.

In particular? ....they sure aren't relying on their looks!

Oh I know. I built two ARs for under $600 each. The newer 995 with spring loaded buttstock is okay but still heavy. Unless you were talking about the AR?
OP already said his wife says the AR is too heavy for her.:confused:

Thats your right. Doesnt mean no one should :rolleyes:

I never said it did. :rolleyes:

I bought my .30-30 for $90 in '89....of course I also got it in a parking lot....OOPS, I wasn't supposed to mention that...well, gotta go, some men just got out of a black SUV and are pounding on my door...gee, wearing sunglasses at night is apparently still popular.....

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top