JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a NIB aero slick upper and (also nib) 16" lw Aero/BA 1/7 if you are interested, could meet up. I can lap the aero upper if you want, to improve accuracy.
I have your ad open in another tab as I've debated reaching out. But I'm not in need if the upper, and I like the idea of an 18"

I have your ad open in another tab as I've debated reaching out. But I'm not in need if the upper, and I like the idea of an 18"
Understood, and agree on your thinking. I have an 18" for sale but it's a target-oriented HBAR and likely not what you need or want.

The AR game is so wonderful because you can tailor it so well, much like the 1911 game. I've shot both since the '70s and both STILL finds ways to be educational, challenging, and fun. I NEVER thought, for decades, I'd want a heavy 20" target barrel - then I took a CMP class last spring and now that's all I think about. Lots of angles to enjoy.

If I were wedded to the 18" idea and wanted intermediate range excellence at a good price, I'd go with the Faxon match gunner in 223 wylde.

https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-mat...16r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension-ar-15/

OTOH, if you aren't trying to push out past 200 yards or more, 18" or 16" doesn't matter so choose what is cost effective. In Tacoma there are places to shoot to 200yds, and not too much further (Auburn) far to go shoot further if you want. But that takes time, expensive ammo to do effectively. If you aren't committed to shooting 200 yds+, IMO 16" is a nice next step given what you have. I would recommend skipping the 14.7 + pinning unless you are REALLY into retro/cloning. I am, and still skip that.

Thanks to those who have contributed and mostly confirmed my thoughts for what route to go. I'm going to go the 16 or 18 5.56/wylde based on what I might find as a deal on a barrel, or upper to trade.

Now I have a follow up regarding optics/sights

I have a 10.5 AR SBR 300blk (primary suppressor host) that's got a 1.5-4x 20 Leupold on it currently. It's my primary shooter and go to gun in general.

I have a Ruger Ranch 300blk with a Sig Whiskey 3-9x40. Don't shoot it much, but like having a bolt gun that matches my primary caliber.

12.5 5.56 AR pistol with a Sig Romeo MSR with Juliet 3 magnifier. This is my secondary shooter.

Now working on this new build.

I'm thinking about pulling the Whiskey 3-9x40 off the ranch for the new build. I was thinking going fixed x2/3 or red dot on the Ranch. Or moving the MSR/ magnifier to the Ranch and doing just irons on the 12.5 5.56. Thoughts?

Thanks to those who have contributed and mostly confirmed my thoughts for what route to go. I'm going to go the 16 or 18 5.56/wylde based on what I might find as a deal on a barrel, or upper to trade.

Now I have a follow up regarding optics/sights

I have a 10.5 AR SBR 300blk (primary suppressor host) that's got a 1.5-4x 20 Leupold on it currently. It's my primary shooter and go to gun in general.

I have a Ruger Ranch 300blk with a Sig Whiskey 3-9x40. Don't shoot it much, but like having a bolt gun that matches my primary caliber.

12.5 5.56 AR pistol with a Sig Romeo MSR with Juliet 3 magnifier. This is my secondary shooter.

Now working on this new build.

I'm thinking about pulling the Whiskey 3-9x40 off the ranch for the new build. I was thinking going fixed x2/3 or red dot on the Ranch. Or moving the MSR/ magnifier to the Ranch and doing just irons on the 12.5 5.56. Thoughts?
OK, I thought through this as an exercise and do have an opinion. Just my opinion that suits my tastes. Preface is, past hobbies/sports (sailing, skiing, horses, etc.) give me a bias for lightweight, robust solutions and as little extra weight/clutter/gear as necessary.

First off, here's what I have, 5.56 unless noted:

- 300blk pistol, 8.5". Light reflex dot + Diamondhead style flip sights
- 2 x 16" Carbines with A2/M4 profile barrels, A2 carry handles. One is optimized for distance, floated bbl and narrow post and small dia. Rear aperture.
- 16" Carbine, LW midgas bbl, Sig Romeo 7S + mbus rear sight
- 20" rifle, NM Wylde heavy bbl, 1-4 x 20 LPVO.
I have a 3-9x40 I just can't find a use for.

If I had your equipment, I'd
- just use irons on the 10.5", or with another MSR or 7S.
- 12.5": sound good as-is
- Ranch: Move Leupold here.
- Put Whiskey on a longer bbl, presuming a larger, heavier weapon long-range weapon is what you want and not agility.

The 10.5" 300 isn't going to easily hit precision long range. I keep mine like this in my car and it's to be no-fail. An LPVO adds complexity and range capability I don't need in an emergency. Flip/A2 type sights used correctly can provide speed and close-in practicality as well as distance precision.

The 12.5" sounds good. PSA has the 7S routinely for $99 which is why i chose that, not a bias against MSR. But for the extra very few $, I like the 7S a lot more (also against the SPARC and SPARC Solar I have used at much more $).

The Ranch sounds a little over-scoped for a 16" bbl 300 to my tastes. (Again, my tastes). The Leupold would be much more at home here in my mind.

So overall, my lengthy think-through matches up with yours in the end, pretty much, it appears.

I NEVER thought, for decades, I'd want a heavy 20" target barrel - then I took a CMP class last spring and now that's all I think about. Lots of angles to enjoy.
The AR-15, 20 inch US 'Service Rifle' dominates CMP Highpower competition. With a 20 " floated heavy barrel the
AR-15 rifle is capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards. Scopes are allowed up to 4.5 power.
1671891628509.png

In Tacoma there are places to shoot to 200yds, and not too much further (Auburn) far to go shoot further if you want.
The Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup, WA goes out to 600 yards. They now use electronic targets for the matches.
That is Paul in the background. Most are shooting a 'Match Rifle' here some with iron sights.

Not cheap, but I went with a Criterion 20", AR, "Pencil" Contour, 1x8, Chrome Lined, Threaded, Match Quality, from Fulton armory. I have a Whiskey 3 scope on it as well.

View attachment 1334730
In the future, I want to build an A1 clone (actually XM16E1) with that barrel or one very much like it. I will use a free float tube to keep the looks, use a RR -2-stage trigger, and an A2 nm aperture on the rear windage screw.

The Criterion in those specs of yours would be an outstanding barrel for a lot of uses.

The Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup, WA goes out to 600 yards. They now use electronic targets for the matches.
That is Paul in the background. Most are shooting a 'Match Rifle' here some with iron sights.
I plan on coming to a match there next spring/summer. I am looking forward to it and if this all "clicks," may consider joining as the distance is far but not excessive. Thanks for the pic as that looks inviting/collegial/etc. Impressed you have electronic targets; used them the first time (below) and wow - what a great thing.

Here's a pic from our CMP shoot at Douglas Ridge in OR. This was practice/tutoring. The taller of the two teenagers in the pic is Mason White, the 2021 Nathan Hale Trophy winner at Camp Perry. (He was our squad coach, the other is my step-son). The 2022 Daniel Boone Trophy winner is out of the frame two stations to the right, Jarod McGaffic. Lots of Talent was around that day (others, too).

56D96D10-C5F2-41CB-82D8-1E8E49BCADB9.jpeg

I plan on coming to a match there next spring/summer. I am looking forward to it and if this all "clicks," may consider joining as the distance is far but not excessive. Thanks for the pic as that looks inviting/collegial/etc. Impressed you have electronic targets; used them the first time (below) and wow - what a great thing.

Here's a pic from our CMP shoot at Douglas Ridge in OR. This was practice/tutoring. The taller of the two teenagers in the pic is Mason White, the 2021 Nathan Hale Trophy winner at Camp Perry. (He was our squad coach, the other is my step-son). The 2022 Daniel Boone Trophy winner is out of the frame two stations to the right, Jarod McGaffic. Lots of Talent was around that day (others, too).

View attachment 1334926
I like Paul Bunyan they let you camp overnight for the 2 day matches. I am planning to shoot the 'Leg' matches next year there.
Great picture Mason is a good kid. I have shot with him for many years.

Oregon's Mason White Sets Records and Wins Big at CMP Camp Perry, 2021

8/7/2021

white-1.jpg
Oregon's Mason White Sets Records and Wins Big at CMP Camp Perry, 2021 (CMP photo)

Mason White, a junior shooter from Sandy, Oregon, served up an outstanding performance at the 2021 CMP National Matches. Topping the list was the high overall civilian and junior for the national individual service rifle match. Mason took home the Nathan Hale Trophy (High Civilian) and the Golden Eagle Trophy (High Junior) in grand style by setting BOTH National Records with a 498-15x. Congratulations Mason!!

The CMP matches are a weeklong ordeal and Mason performed well all week.
  • Mason was 35th overall in the 2400 aggregate with at 2347-101x, just 2Xs off the first-place winner. Mason was in the top 20 of each 800 aggregate days and got better each day. He started at 19th, then 15th, then scored 10th overall.
  • Mason was 54th in the Presidents 100 and has earned a P-100 tab.
  • Across the various positions of prone, sitting, standing Mason maintained in the top 10 juniors in the nation. An outstanding performance! And when placed against the entire civilian field he was 9th place in rapid sitting, just 3 points off but 2Xs better than the leader.
Congratulations to Mason!
Job Well Done!

I like the 18" AR, just a bit longer than a 16" and a bit shorter than a 20"
A Rifle gas system with a rifle action makes for a smooth shooting gun too.

I used a Wilson Combat 18" fluted barrel with their 15" handguard.
Weighs in at 7.5 lbs nekid, 9.25 lbs with a 2.5-10 scope.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top