JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone likes to spend other people's money, so here is my invitation on opinions for how to spend mine!

I'm looking at going with a different barrel on my third upper, it's currently a 10.5 5.56 build, but it's redundant so I want to change to something else, so I ask you what barrel to replace it with.

For the sake of this conversation, I currently run:
10.5" 300blk SBR w/ 1.5-4 LPVO- primary suppressor host
16" Ruger Ranch 300blk w/ 3-9 optic (old rotory mag style that cannot be updated to the pmag version)
12.5" 5.56 pistol w/ red dot and 3x flip magnifier
The above mentioned 10.5" 5.56 upper, no optics

I'm thinking a rifle length 5.56 (in NFA meaning, so 14.5" P/W, 16", 18") is probably the best way to round things out for now. Thoughts? I don't want to add another caliber right now. I have SBR and rifle length 300blk so I don't think blackout is the way.

Last Edited:
Does this 3rd rifle have an intended utility?

I like mid-length and rifle length gas systems. When I looked at 14.5 p/w in the past I was very underwhelmed with what was achieved. The length difference seemed insignificant to a regular 16" upper rather than just going down to a 11.5" or 10.5"

Bullpup choices are better, in my opinion, than going short 5.56 anyway, and that is my preference for the regular rifle not intended to be in any DMR role.

Just depends on what you want it to do. I enjoy the 18-20" rifle length gas systems, but for most people shooting at most distances they shoot at, it wouldn't make a difference over a 16" barrel with a midlength (recoil impulse is different though).

If you want the best bang for your buck/best value (IMO) assembled upper, this is next to impossible to beat at the current sale price of $199.99 + s/h.
Doesn't include BCG or charging handle.

Primary Arms - Precision Defense™ AR-15 Barreled Upper Receiver - 16"

Deal is exceptional when you consider you're actually getting a quality barrel in the assembled upper, not some generic Bear Creek Arsenal barrel.
Has standard mil-spec upper receiver, slightly better than average 15" handguard, average gas tube, gas block & muzzle device.

I just received one of these today (haven't shot it yet). I paid $180 a couple weeks ago, but even at $200 I am VERY impressed with what you get.

1671092703518.png

Specs:
Barrel: Rosco Manuf, 16" Bloodline Barrel, 5.56 NATO, 4150 CMV, gov't profile, 1/7 twist, mid-length gas system, nitride finish
Upper Receiver: Standard Mil-Spec Upper Receiver with forward assist - Cardinal Forge marking
Handguard: 15" M-Lok, decent quality. Handguard weighs 10.5oz, ID 1.37"
Gas Block: .750" low profile, two set screws, nitride finish
Gas Tube: Mid-length Stainless Steel
Muzzle Device: Standard A2 flash hider

Last Edited:
It really does depend on what you want it to do for you. Looking at what you got... have you considered a longer barrel... say 20"-21" 5.56 for more distance accuracy? Like a varmit/small game rifle? .308 might be nice, but you mentioned you don't want to add a caliber.

It depends too on your upper. What would marry well to it, I mean. If you go with a distance rifle and the upper isn't on par with your barrel then accuracy might be pretty difficult to dial in. Kind of counter productive to spend a wad on a really good barrel if your upper can't lock it in tight'n'straight. KWIM?

Again.... it just really depends on what your goal is.

Does this 3rd rifle have an intended utility?
Before I build or buy a gun/upper I define the intended purpose and go from there, every time. I don't just build or buy for for the sake of doing it, there is a reason.

I like mid-length and rifle length gas systems. When I looked at 14.5 p/w in the past I was very underwhelmed with what was achieved. The length difference seemed insignificant to a regular 16" upper rather than just going down to a 11.5" or 10.5"
Typically, I'll always recommend new shooter/builder start with a 16" barrel because it is more flexible and gives the opportunity to experiment until they figure out what they really want/need. That said, I much prefer my 14.5" guns over my 16" guns. True there isn't a huge difference in OAL (only 3/4"-1" difference) but there is a significant difference in the balance of the weapon especially when you start adding lights/lasers/illuminators. I am currently working on a dedicated night fighting carbine that will be built around 13.9" Criterion barrel.

Bullpup choices are better, in my opinion, than going short 5.56 anyway, and that is my preference for the regular rifle not intended to be in any DMR role.
IMO, their advantages are greatly overshadowed by their disadvantages. I am an ambidextrous shooter so I hate most Bullpup designs. Depending on whether I'm working on the left or right side of a barricade, vehicle or corner I want to be able to transition shoulders as required to minimize my exposure to the threat.

Before I build or buy a gun/upper I define the intended purpose and go from there, every time. I don't just build or buy for for the sake of doing it, there is a reason.

Typically, I'll always recommend new shooter/builder start with a 16" barrel because it is more flexible and gives the opportunity to experiment until they figure out what they really want/need. That said, I much prefer my 14.5" guns over my 16" guns. True there isn't a huge difference in OAL (only 3/4"-1" difference) but there is a significant difference in the balance of the weapon especially when you start adding lights/lasers/illuminators. I am currently working on a dedicated night fighting carbine that will be built around 13.9" Criterion barrel.

IMO, their advantages are greatly overshadowed by their disadvantages. I am an ambidextrous shooter so I hate most Bullpup designs. Depending on whether I'm working on the left or right side of a barricade, vehicle or corner I want to be able to transition shoulders as required to minimize my exposure to the threat.
Good feedback, but traditional rifles are always front heavy because the barrel and mag and the majority of the weight is always forward of the grip. If 1.5 inches of barrel (a few ounces maybe) significantly impacts the balance of the rifle I wonder if there are other ways to mitigate that.

I've not found the Tavor to slap my face with brass regardless of if I shoot it left or right, and during the times I've purposely tried to whack my face with brass I haven't found it to be a big deal. The mag being toward the rear helps it naturally balance rearward as well.

Definitely to each their own. People seem to love or hate bullpups. Since I'm not using suppressors I also like the difference in sound with longer barrels compared to shorter barrels.

I don't have a specific intended use per se. Just looking to give myself a different option. Also, the ability to drop a 16+" upper on my SBR to go across state lines without telling big brother would be nice, and is probably my main driving factor. I tend to like short OAL setups, but don't feel like I have much utility for a 10.5 in 5.56. I'm kind of thinking a medium distance build with a 3-9 or so optic on it may be an option.

The upper is an Aero standard upper.

If you're just looking for a barrel, I like the Hanson Profile/Series from Ballistic Advantage.

There are some good deals out there right now, even direct from BA when using coupon codes.
Definitely not the most expensive/high end barrel, but super solid and a great value IMO.

Well for something completely different for you AR platform, you could purchase a Unitah Precision bolt action upper with a 20" barrel in 223 / 556 or a 45 caliber black powder muzzle loader.

18" barrel, 1-8 twist. Everything else is too subjective
This is not a bad idea. 1/8, 1/7, something to handle heavier bullets.

I was about to build a 18" rifle gas (already bought the barrel), then switched to longer make a distance competition gun. Put a thread protector on a lightweight 18" barrel and it's barely longer or heavier than a 16." No muzzle device of course, but an option.

I have a NIB aero slick upper and (also nib) 16" lw Aero/BA 1/7 if you are interested, could meet up. I can lap the aero upper if you want, to improve accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top