JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a good friend who lives in Portland. He's never been into firearms, but with the current situation he's now thinking it might be time to learn about 'em and perhaps acquire one for home and personal protection.

I advised him to seek an "Intro to firearms" class at a local indoor range where he will be instructed on safety, basic operations, and where he can possibly rent different models to see what works for him.

I live in Spokane, and I know where to go for this training here, but where's a good place for this in Portland?

But I'd have to think it's flocked up for public access just like everything else is in the crap hole area.

Threat Dynamics, in Tualitin. There are some classes still available after June 25th. they fill up fast. He will be required to wear mask follow CDC rules. They use live fire as well as a simulator.

So, he experienced some tense social upheavals during his childhood with the civil rights era, he made it through the end of the Cold War, watched as L.A. burned during the riots...yet never felt the need to own or become proficient with a gun.

By almost all metrics, the protesting and rioting occurring now is of a lesser volatility then during the civil rights years...So, why now?

Don't take my question the wrong way - I'm glad that he's learning...I'm just very curious to understand the psychology behind this decision...because it makes little sense to me why a man who has experienced so much without feeling the need to have a gun now suddenly does.

So, he experienced some tense social upheavals during his childhood with the civil rights era, he made it through the end of the Cold War, watched as L.A. burned during the riots...yet never felt the need to own or become proficient with a gun.

By almost all metrics, the protesting and rioting occurring now is of a lesser volatility then during the civil rights years...So, why now?

Don't take my question the wrong way - I'm glad that he's learning...I'm just very curious to understand the psychology behind this decision...because it makes little sense to me why a man who has experienced so much without feeling the need to have a gun now suddenly does.

I lived 55 years of MY life without feeling the need to, really, get into guns, just because. Why do people "feel the need" to critique a persons desire to get into the firearms culture?

I agree with taking a course, when I bought my first gun I had no clue what to look for and didn't have anyone but the shop to ask. You might offer to go with and help your friend pick out a gun. It can be an intimidating experience knowing nothing about something.

I lived 55 years of MY life without feeling the need to, really, get into guns, just because. Why do people "feel the need" to critique a persons desire to get into the firearms culture?

Ah, yes, I forget, being curious about a person's motivations and life is "critiquing." :rolleyes:

I have no interest in critiquing anything. I do have an interest in understand what's there, you know, just because. Why so quick to judge and guarded, Mike?

I don't have an answer for you other than he and I are very similar, and I myself only got into guns 3 years ago at 55. Never felt the need before that. I lived in what I felt were safe areas, didn't venture out much, and had other interests. I trusted the police to be there but didn't think about the illogic of that trust.

We've built ourselves a very safe and stable society that allows people the option of securing their own protection or trusting the system. For most of us the system seems to be enough, but for others, we eventually see the flaws and decide it's time to act autonomously.

I don't feel the need question my friend about the "Why now?" paradox. I'm just glad to see him joining the party. Now we'll have another shared hobby to talk about.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Better Late Than Never.

Last Edited:
I agree with taking a course, when I bought my first gun I had no clue what to look for and didn't have anyone but the shop to ask. You might offer to go with and help your friend pick out a gun. It can be an intimidating experience knowing nothing about something.
Yeah, I'd love to but I live in Spokane and he's in Portland. Also, I have no desire to ever be in Portland… or Seattle for that matter.

Still, I think keeping in touch as he goes through this process will allow me to offer some support.

But I'd have to think it's flocked up for public access just like everything else is in the crap hole area.

they are closed to the public at this point in time.

I was born into an enviroment that guns existed in. I never remember a time except in the barracks where guns werent auailable. I enjoy guns but as far as making a lifestyle decision i dont remember making a concious decision about gun ownership it was more like breathing.

There must be something closer to him, but the folks out in Camas at SafeFire run a good range, and have good training. My wife and her daughter are going to be taking the "ladies only" intro to firearms class at my suggestion. They're looking forward to it. I've heard from others that have taken training there they really liked the programs. Easy to recommend.

Well considering there is no ammo or guns for that matter in any store right now.

First bit of advice would be buy more or wait. If this goes away, like most things have, he may not even need it. If it fires south, better get in that freaking store today and buy something off what is left to buy.

Well considering there is no ammo or guns for that matter in any store right now.

First bit of advice would be buy more or wait. If this goes away, like most things have, he may not even need it. If it fires south, better get in that freaking store today and buy something off what is left to buy.
Wow! Didn't know it was that bad. I haven't visited any place locally in a while, but I don't get the sense of much panic over here.

Respectfully, the "...no ammo or guns for that matter in any store right now...." statement seems a little extreme. Sure, some things are thin but you can still find what you're looking for, if you're willing to make a couple phone calls.

I don't have an answer for you other than he and I are very similar, and I myself only got into guns 3 years ago at 55. Never felt the need before that. I lived in what I felt were safe areas, didn't venture out much, and had other interests. I trusted the police to be there but didn't think about the illogic of that trust.

We've built ourselves a very safe and stable society that allows people the option of securing their own protection or trusting the system. For most of us the system seems to be enough, but for others, we eventually see the flaws and decide it's time to act autonomously.

Thank you for sharing. Your point about the flaws in the system is interesting. I was born in 1987: the cracks in the system that have left an impression on me are very different from the ones that you've seen, or your friend has seen for that matter. These are the macro events that I'm referring to, not to say anything of the personal events that shape us. I suppose we all eventually notice that the system will fail us or can fail us when it comes to personal protection. Lately, I've been thinking more and more about the fragility of the food system and how it may be time to rectify my knowledge gaps where that is concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Better Late Than Never.

Damn straight.

Wow! Didn't know it was that bad. I haven't visited any place locally in a while, but I don't get the sense of much panic over here.

There was a solid ammo run due to Covid-19. My preferred vendor, Target Sports, took 3 weeks to get me an order. They seem to be back to normal shipping times but are completely out of any FMJ 9mm...they only have JHP to spare. So, some ammo is hard to find, some not so bad.

I posted this thread after the riots got going: Any Uptick in Panic Buying After Riot/Shenanigans?

Seems there was another big run after the riots in some places. I have not been into a Sportsman's in a few weeks but last I was there, they had a few handguns and people buying them. Ammo was still sparse for the stuff you'd expect to go in a panic.

Definitely call ahead and, unfortunately, be prepared to create a list of gun options instead of deciding on that "one perfect gun" because it may not be there.

65 is the new 45, but unfortunately the maximum age to join the Marines is 35.
Are you sure about that? It was 28 for for decades. This must be something new.

Edit:

"Must not have reached 29th birthday upon start of recruit training"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR