JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many new gun owners have you helped in 2020?

Votes: 31 31.6%

Votes: 15 15.3%

Votes: 22 22.4%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I try to scare them off first, kinda like Gary did. After explaining a gun is not to be used as a 'scare tactic', and that if you draw a gun, you will probably have to use it, I go through 2-3 scenario's of posible reasons to draw a gun, and play them out till the person either shoots, or puts the gun down as instructed (at which point I stop and tell them to NEVER get a gun). If they make it to 'I'd shoot' them, I ask them if they could live with that decision tomorrow, the next day, a year from now - because they will replay the event over and over in their minds and always wonder if they really 'had' to kill someone. Several have said they couldn't live with it, I told them to get a big dog. For those that want to continue, I'll help them as much as I can.

The 3 or 4 I've helped purchase a firearm, I've told them a gun safe is not an option - specially if they have kids at home, neices/nephews that visit, friends with kids, etc. If the gun is not 'on' them, it needs to be in a safe. Personal soap box - but I'd fight any law that requires it :).

I got to teach another 'beginner' the other day.

I started with airsoft. 'When I begin to attack, shoot two rounds in the heart and two rounds in the nose.'

I stepped forward and she ran the zipper up my torso. She weren't no beginner!

We did live fire training afterward. She will do fine.

Me?

Two - long distance. They helped other people too.

My husband helped one man. He could have helped some other people that he sees at the range on top of that too. He tells me about his range trips when I do not go with him on a regular basis. Seeing his old friends and some 'Newbies' that he may not know.

He shoots 5 to 6 days a week. More RF than CF right now but he still shoots!

Old Lady Cate

PS:

Come to think of it... my husband and I probably helped far more people since we donated the Like New 2 Savage Rascals (Black, bolt action 22lr rifles with papers, instructions and a few targets.) to our range not too long ago. (This year.)

They will be USED to help Newbies, kids, teens, senior citizens and handicapped people in various classes. Those 22lr Rascals can be easily shot sitting in a wheel chair too.

Old Lady Cate

I've helped my mom not become a new gun owner...
"Do yo think I should get a gun?"
"Would you learn how to use it and practice with it?"
"Well, probably not."
"Then you don't need a gun."

Problem is, based on where they live, I am concerned for their safety. I'd like to have said yes, but it's a lot of responsibility, and if they're not even willing to even learn and practice with it, then they're better off sticking with their mace for now.

Having been on this earth a little longer than most of you, I've seen this happen several times before. My greatest concern is a "newbie's" lack of concern for firearm safety. Many have children in their homes and the firearm is NOT properly stored. The other consideration is that the "newbie" lets everyone of his friends and neighbors know that he now has a gun. That makes the firearm a target for thieves. Criminals don't buy guns, they steal them. Then, there is the issue of forgetting that you have a firearm in your vehicle, home, etc. and it then can be stolen and you don't miss it for several days. It happened to me. I had "Old ugly" (my 1911a1" under the seat of my car when I went to the car wash. It was a full service one in Portland. The people that they hire in those places are usually in the shallow end of the labor pool. I pulled up, got out of my car and this smiling guy got in and I went inside. He started rifling through the glove box, center console, etc. and then under the seat. I'll bet it wasn't his first time. The car went through the wash with him inside wiping everything down. He got out and walked away, while other folks finished drying the glass, etc. I got in, reached under the seat, bailed out and caught him walking to his car. I showed him my badge and recovered my gun. Shame on me! PPD showed up and arrested him for theft. He was also violated by his PO. Everyone has to be careful with their guns. It needs to be the first thing that we teach our new "gun toting" friends!

I've helped my mom not become a new gun owner...
"Do yo think I should get a gun?"
"Would you learn how to use it and practice with it?"
"Well, probably not."
"Then you don't need a gun."

Problem is, based on where they live, I am concerned for their safety. I'd like to have said yes, but it's a lot of responsibility, and if they're not even willing to even learn and practice with it, then they're better off sticking with their mace for now.
I helped a preacher friend of mine the same way. He asked me what kind of pistol he should have for home defense. I asked him if he had ever owned a gun or fired one. He responded that he had not. Well, says me, you don't need a pistol. You need a single shot shotgun. I then proceeded to find him one and taught him how to store it, use it and clean it.

I helped RSO and instruct a basic pistol class today...

It boggles the mind how poorly some new gun owners are served by their LGS. Out if the 13 people there, three were older women who were sold a Glock 43 or a Sig 365, with no regard for whether their older, weaker, arthritic hands could actually run the gun. Smaller, narrower slides, stiff springs, and tiny slide stop levers do not make for a good combination...

A P238 or an M&P EZ would have made so much more sense...

I helped RSO and instruct a basic pistol class today...

It boggles the mind how poorly some new gun owners are served by their LGS. Out if the 13 people there, three were older women who were sold a Glock 43 or a Sig 365, with no regard for whether their older, weaker, arthritic hands could actually run the gun. Smaller, narrower slides, stiff springs, and tiny slide stop levers do not make for a good combination...

A P238 or an M&P EZ would have made so much more sense...

Most gun store employees are simply sales people and often not well informed ones. Most people rushing out to buy a gun out of panic give no thought to their actual ability to handle it. They are expecting the employee to present them with their talisman and be on their way.

Unfortunately that last part is also true — two of the women having problems told me they had watched a lot of youtube videos where people were telling them these are good "women" guns because they're smaller, as if that is the primary factor. So those women bought what their online research told them to but, without any actual understanding.

Here in UK, by the time the noob has bought their gun it might be a year or more after they joined the compulsory gun club that we ALL have to be members of for six months BEFORE we can apply for a Firearms Certificate. THAT can take another three to six months, depending on what county you live in.

By the time they actually have their new gun in their hands, they are pretty much experienced shooters, having been shooting everybody else's guns meanwhile, including mine. :)

If a hypothetical someone enters a LGS and simply asks for a specific gun to purchase, were I that person, I wouldn't care to be questioned about my choice...

I don't think LGS employees are mandated to verbally custom fit (if you will) the gun for the buyer, with a caveat: The buyer 'asks' for assistance in what may be their best choice.

If no assistance in choice is made, I would expect the LGS employee to help me with my selection with zero questions as long as I'm legally able to purchase my
pick.

If a hypothetical someone enters a LGS and simply asks for a specific gun to purchase, were I that person, I wouldn't care to be questioned about my choice...

I don't think LGS employees are mandated to verbally custom fit (if you will) the gun for the buyer, with a caveat: The buyer 'asks' for assistance in what may be their best choice.

If no assistance in choice is made, I would expect the LGS employee to help me with my selection with zero questions as long as I'm legally able to purchase my
pick.

I know all the LGS shop owners and they know me.... after they say they don't have what I want, I would accept any "have you see the..." type questions.

All my friends are very capable vets and they're scattered across the country. Locally, I spend time with the husbands of my wife's friends, mostly suburban white collar guys. I've been talking to them about firearms for years and now one has finally taken an interest but our progress is being stifled by the fires, so maybe we can get back to it later.

If they didn't own a gun before, their newfound desire to own one begs a few questions. Even if the answers were good, I'm not sure I'd believe them.
I see your concern here but I see some suburban people who've just never been around firearms, never had them in their family, and finally realize that suburbia might not be all that safe, and they just want to protect their families with more than a baseball bat.

I got to teach another 'beginner' the other day.

I started with airsoft. 'When I begin to attack, shoot two rounds in the heart and two rounds in the nose.'

I stepped forward and she ran the zipper up my torso. She weren't no beginner!

We did live fire training afterward. She will do fine.
Yeah, I have a couple old, broken airsofts that I keep around for training, as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top