JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many new gun owners have you helped in 2020?

Votes: 31 31.6%

Votes: 15 15.3%

Votes: 22 22.4%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
There is a surge in firearms and ammunition purchases in the past few months. I am personally seeing friends and acquaintances acquire a firearm, and I am helping them with suggestions on a first purchase, ammunition purchases, training, being responsible, and more.

What about you? I've added a simple poll and set the option so you may change your response later.

I voted 6+

With that said...
My experience may be out of the ordinary.

Case in point :
This past Thursday thru Saturday I had a firearm / fur trade history display set up at a local gun shop.
I gave several talks of firearm history and safety as well as some history "lessons"
Among those talks of firearms were :
How to choose a muzzle loading firearm...
"Trouble shooting" a muzzle loading firearm....
Helping on the shooting line with new shooters...
Giving a shooting demonstration with a rifle...

So again a bit out of the ordinary , as part of my intent of the display was to help folks out.
I do try as often as I can to help out when needed or maybe even more importantly , when asked...

As for what Medic! stated...
It can be very true....someone comes to you for advice , based on your experiences...
You give good solid advice and information....
And yet :
They don't listen ...
Will argue...
Or give the classic : "Well but the expert on "You Tube" / gun store / gun blog , forum or video , etc...sez......"

Not much that you can do when that happens....other than "grin and bear it"....and do your best not to be a :
"I told you so"...when they realize that you actually did know what you were talking about.
Andy

Personal acquaintances:

Notably 2, so far. True processes followed thru on, true goods "helped out" with & suchly.

Probably half a dozen plus, less notably. Suggestions, ideas, discussions & such.

Im trying to help 2 right now. One is a new family man, completely new to firearms. The other is my buddy who is very frugal looking for the perfect subcompact carry deal. Mags/holster and possibly a case.

Helping both find an affordable firearm package deal.
Then when they are ready we are going out and doing a full safety lesson/shooting/cleaning and safe storage learning day Ill also have them clean our shooting area (Other peoples trash) to repay me for spent ammo :s0155:

0 :s0155: Due to the social distancing crap, I couldn't get close enough to that young philly to show her proper form!:s0060: Although, I will add, her form was looking quite proper from where I was standing!:s0140:

As far as follow through to purchase, I just got one friend on board. He recently picked up his 9mm from Fisherman's Outdoor and then I split a case of ammo with him.
I have however been talking with other friends in our circle and generating awareness about the current environment.

edit - should have said even my blm and antifa friends, who are generally anti-gun, are asking questions, and buying/building their first ARs.

Last Edited:
Unless they change the way they vote, I really don't care about all the people jumping on the "new gun owners" bandwagon.

I've had a decent number of antifa/BLM friends ask for help building out ARs and learning how to run them. Nice to have more in common with those folks.

This statement just solidifies mine.

Used to help a lot of friends who wanted to go shooting, learn about guns/self defense and safely enjoy the hobby. For decades.

Now that politically driven social upheaval becomes the motive for so many new purchases, I have no idea how to help people grabbing up guns as if the mere presence of a firearm in the home will magically protect them and their loved ones. Right before they go vote for more stupid new anti-gun laws because they "already got theirs."

Last Edited:
Political may have been the wrong word, but to infuse BLM/Antifa into a thread would only seem to get a rise out of folks in a thread that nothing to do with this... hope that helps.

The word I should have used was divisive.
As a community, it behooves us to be welcoming to all new shooters and first time gun owners and demonstrate excellence and stewardship of our shooting lands. I've always thought that was a great policy.
However, the 800lb gorilla in the room is that while we tend to be very welcoming as a policy to new shooters, are we unwittingly welcoming people who come here simply to be divisive or those who have acquired firearms with bad intentions and want to pick our brains? Given today's climate of extremism, perhaps we need to rethink our approach to who is allowed to participate our community. If such policies are good enough for Facebook and Twitter....just saying. Ever try getting into place like Tri Counties GC? Vetted membership for a reason I think.
But you know, free gun knowledge can be a great thing, but sometimes not so much.
Food for thought:

Couple were very concerned that those currently inciting violence and destroying public property would be a danger to them. They've since acquired "arms" and have been learning to use them with some instruction.

Is it wrong to tell them that they are too late? A lot of people asking for advice on what to get, and the answer isn't what they want to hear.... oh, that's expensive... there's no ammo?? …. I used to be able to just give my gun to somebody.... why can't I just go to the store and get one??

I went to a local pit last week.
2 guys there burning up an MP barrel and acting foolish and jumping the firing line.

I did not shoot them.

So... that's 2?

external-content.duckduckgo.com.png

I've had 3 call me and say that they don't own one and were worried about their personal safety. One is a runner and ran in city areas (V WA), and the other two were wanting home security. One is in TX and wants advice on buying and owning a gun. Will go down to vaca with them and take him out. The runner has been to the club many times and is doing much better and gets eager to go again and again.
Advice is cheap and experience the better teacher.

Maybe if their first gun is an AR-15 I'd help?

Many ''new gun owners'' have been demonizing gun owners their whole lives.
Now I want to see a little commitment from them.

No!
You can't buy a revolver, or shotgun, then later vote away my rights to own other types of guns.

I don't trust you.
And I won't help you.

If you don't have a dog in the fight.

Maybe if their first gun is an AR-15 I'd help?

Many ''new gun owners'' have been demonizing gun owners their whole lives.
Now I want to see a little commitment from them.

No!
You can't buy a revolver, or shotgun, then later vote away my rights to own other types of guns.

I don't trust you.
And I won't help you.

If you don't have a dog in the fight.

Agreed, seems a lot of people want help with something that they barely want to put any effort into making it happen.

Couple I helped bought two AR's and two pistols. I did a lot of explaining to him of how things work in terms of the laws for AR's and what constitutes a pistol vs a rifle, but I also sent him several youtube links because I wanted him to discover information he wanted for himself rather than use me as the magic 8 ball with all the answers.

One trip to the range and now he is hooked. Funny how that is.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top