JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Respectfully, the "...no ammo or guns for that matter in any store right now...." statement seems a little extreme. Sure, some things are thin but you can still find what you're looking for, if you're willing to make a couple phone calls.
While I was at Sportsmans Warehouse in Hillsboro an hour ago or so BSing with a few guys I know that work the counter. Went for a gift card for my pops.

They received about 10 calls asking for various things while I was BSing, so yes folks are calling before heading in.

They had 0:

9mm
40sw
45acp
30-30
223/556
762x39
buckshot

No

AR15s
18" or similar shotguns

Very little pistol selection mostly 380s and mouse guns. As well as single action revolvers. They had plenty of bolt actions and +20" barrel shotguns.

Sure my statement might be a little overdone. It's getting pretty stupid out there and folks are still buying.

Lately, I've been thinking more and more about the fragility of the food system and how it may be time to rectify my knowledge gaps where that is concerned.

Yeah, we replenished our secondary freezer with half a cow last week. The dogs benefited as well…
TEOTWAWKI-Bones.jpg

....while Sportsman's may be your preferred vendor, there are others....just saying. Cost may not be what you were looking to pay, but within reason it's better to have and not need than need an not have.

My guess is that most of us were pretty well prepared, and not subject to the "panic" buying that went on.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I've been snooping around regarding inventory over the past three months - and purchased three firearms from retail vendors and one from a private party, spread out over 10 weeks. I've also purchased plenty of ammo from private partys. People are selling ammo on this site and there are a surprisingly large number of folks asking fair, if not REALLY GOOD, prices.

Here's what I've found.

There's handgun inventory available. Some of the small stores (not big-box like Sportsman's), but your Local Gun Shops and pawn shops, like Northwest Armory (probably the biggest of the little guys); Keith's, and others, have some inventory of new and USED pistols available in common calibers. That inventory fluctuates weekly because they do not have the quantity in stock they normally have - so there is not an excess or wide selection - but handguns are available.

Also, online purchasing is a viable option. I just checked my daily Palmetto State Armory email ad: Sig P320 Compact in 9mm - $499 plus $18 shipping; Stoeger STR-9 Compact 9mm - $279 (great gun and great price) plus $18 shipping, are only two examples of top-tier and esoteric weapons available. If the OP's friend was coached on how to purchase a firearm online and have shipped to an FFL (like Tigard Pawn 4 More) - he could get almost whatever new weapon he desired within a week or two (plus 3 days background check - as of last week the queue on one day was 1700 - I called and checked - ouch!). As for immediate availability - harder to get exactly the NEW brand and model you want, but if you want - let's say ... a Glock, for example ... there are a bu*t-load of Glocks in 40 and 9 advertised here and within the state on ArmsList.

My two cents. YMMV.

Stay safe everyone.

There are guns out there, my point being that a new shooter or new to guns type, usually starts at a big box store.

That's how I started. That's how many I know started.

If you are able to help your friend by getting him/her in contact with a smaller shop, great!

Ah, yes, I forget, being curious about a person's motivations and life is "critiquing." :rolleyes:

I have no interest in critiquing anything. I do have an interest in understand what's there, you know, just because. Why so quick to judge and guarded, Mike?

I wouldn't have even put a response up had there not been several, or more, questions of the same type in the last month or so. So I wasn't picking on YOU specifically in any way shape or form. When "I"joined the forum, brand new to the firearms scene, looking for info, I don't think anyone said anything about getting training. Oh, somebody probably did, but I must not have taken it like I needed to get it to become a member of the "club". Or insinuating that if your going to be a gun owner you'd better get some training. I guess back then the membership figured, "Great, another gun owner". And that's all they cared about.

they are closed to the public at this point in time.

Yeah, figures.

I wouldn't have even put a response up had there not been several, or more, questions of the same type in the last month or so. So I wasn't picking on YOU specifically in any way shape or form. When "I"joined the forum, brand new to the firearms scene, looking for info, I don't think anyone said anything about getting training. Oh, somebody probably did, but I must not have taken it like I needed to get it to become a member of the "club". Or insinuating that if your going to be a gun owner you'd better get some training. I guess back then the membership figured, "Great, another gun owner". And that's all they cared about.

Ah, I recall the thread (or threads) that you're referring to...at least one of them. I was hoping my comment didn't come off that way. No, it makes perfectly reasonable sense why someone would want to rush out and get their first firearm right now. My curiosity with the situation is because, for those a little older wiser, there have been many events in the past where I'd have thought the same rush to buy a gun would have been warranted...so, why now?

Anyway, I hope all new gun owners at least watch some YouTube and make sure to stash their new found weapon away from any kids they may have. I'd hate to see an increase in AD/ND related injuries or deaths. My concern for this would be no different than if someone just bought a table-saw and was new to woodworking: watch some videos, get some practice, pocket the plastic pull-out lock if you've got kids to worry about.

I learned how to shoot by a marine handing me a 30-06 and not explaining a damn thing to me. The scope bite scar finally faded into my skin but it was there for a good long while. I'd recommend all new gun owners to not follow that path...and have better friends.

What I think is actually going to happen: we'll learn that Covid-19 has a lower death rate than previously thought and it'll become endemic, the economy will open back up, the rioting will die down, and a good chunk of the new gun owners will keep walking down the road they started on and become more staunch 2A supporters.

But, I also think a decent chunk of the new gun owner crowd will decide that they overreacted and didn't need a gun after all. I'm expecting a good opportunity to buy LNIB pistols, shotguns, and rifles and with the flood of them into the market...some really decent pressure to keep prices low :D.

Ah, I recall the thread (or threads) that you're referring to...at least one of them. I was hoping my comment didn't come off that way. No, it makes perfectly reasonable sense why someone would want to rush out and get their first firearm right now. My curiosity with the situation is because, for those a little older wiser, there have been many events in the past where I'd have thought the same rush to buy a gun would have been warranted...so, why now?

Anyway, I hope all new gun owners at least watch some YouTube and make sure to stash their new found weapon away from any kids they may have. I'd hate to see an increase in AD/ND related injuries or deaths. My concern for this would be no different than if someone just bought a table-saw and was new to woodworking: watch some videos, get some practice, pocket the plastic pull-out lock if you've got kids to worry about.

I learned how to shoot by a marine handing me a 30-06 and not explaining a damn thing to me. The scope bite scar finally faded into my skin but it was there for a good long while. I'd recommend all new gun owners to not follow that path...and have better friends.

What I think is actually going to happen: we'll learn that Covid-19 has a lower death rate than previously thought and it'll become endemic, the economy will open back up, the rioting will die down, and a good chunk of the new gun owners will keep walking down the road they started on and become more staunch 2A supporters.

But, I also think a decent chunk of the new gun owner crowd will decide that they overreacted and didn't need a gun after all. I'm expecting a good opportunity to buy LNIB pistols, shotguns, and rifles and with the flood of them into the market...some really decent pressure to keep prices low :D.

I didn't want to appear condescending in any way, and it doesn't seem like you took my response in that way at all, so...just noticed on another post that you're 33. You could be my boy. I have to wonder if when you look around you see people your age that seem dumber than crap? Constantly doing dumber than crap stuff? It looks that way to me, but hey I'm older, wiser.:D Seems like your generation can't get their GD faces out of their phones! No offence intended, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they seem like a real person.

So, he experienced some tense social upheavals during his childhood with the civil rights era, he made it through the end of the Cold War, watched as L.A. burned during the riots...yet never felt the need to own or become proficient with a gun.

By almost all metrics, the protesting and rioting occurring now is of a lesser volatility then during the civil rights years...So, why now?

Don't take my question the wrong way - I'm glad that he's learning...I'm just very curious to understand the psychology behind this decision...because it makes little sense to me why a man who has experienced so much without feeling the need to have a gun now suddenly does.
I am seeing several people I know, many of whom are my age or older, now seeking out getting a gun. The past was often "seen" far differently. Civil Rights era we did not have 24/7 news, Police were not told to stand down and allow looting and burning.
Cold war few really believed we were going to be fighting a war where troops landed on our soil.
LA riots 24/7 news was getting a foothold and had a lot to do with the riots. They kept showing an edited short version of what happened to get people fired up, and it did work. Since it was pretty much contained to one county and only a small part of that county, few cared much if they did not live there.
Now we have several cities where looting and riots are not only allowed, the 24/7 news makes excuses, or claims they are not happening as something is on fire behind them. Police are hunted and the 24/7 news pretends it is not happening or makes excuses for it. They are watching as criminals are freed from jail by the same people who threaten them with jail if they leave their home. This has finally gotten quite a few people who for a long time looked at me like maybe I needed a foil hat to stop and wonder if I may be correct.

Wow! Didn't know it was that bad. I haven't visited any place locally in a while, but I don't get the sense of much panic over here.
Cheap ammo is still "harder" to find but so far I am seeing no gun shortage either. Range I go to weekly has a good size store you pass through on the way to the range. It is NEVER empty of people any more but I see lots of guns on the walls and in the cases so far. Every time I go now there is people at the door waiting to get in.

I didn't want to appear condescending in any way, and it doesn't seem like you took my response in that way at all, so...just noticed on another post that you're 33. You could be my boy. I have to wonder if when you look around you see people your age that seem dumber than crap? Constantly doing dumber than crap stuff? It looks that way to me, but hey I'm older, wiser.:D Seems like your generation can't get their GD faces out of their phones! No offence intended, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they seem like a real person.
I can be your boy too? ;)

If a drive down to Salem is reasonable for your friend, I recommend he check out Tritac.

Basic Handgun level 1, which they do, is a great beginner class which doesn't cost too much ($125+rental, if need be). No firearm needed, they will rent your friend one if he so wishes.

This is a class for folks with ZERO experience, however others are welcome.

Goes into safety, how to charge a magazine, and how to take down particular handguns for cleaning. Really basic stuff, but great for the beginner.

Limited live fire, again either with a rental, or perhaps he allready bought something.

Now, if your friend seems a bit more advanced (ex: has gone out with you a few times), then this likely would not be the class for him.

No idea on similar entry level classes further up PDX way, plus it's been a long long while since we took the basic pistol class there as well.

Mayhaps someone else on board has a more recent review of beginner classes there??

NB: good on ya for asking around for your friend, and SUPER GOOD on him for not just buying something and putting it up on a shelf untried.

I have to wonder if when you look around you see people your age that seem dumber than crap? Constantly doing dumber than crap stuff?

You have no idea. IMO, the millennial generation is split in two. I sling code for a Fortune 200 company. A lot of my coworkers are in my demographic. We've all got kids, mortgages, car payments, and are pretty much just trying to make our way in the world. The younger half of this gen, however, seems to have a few screws loose. I'm still trying to figure out the societal events that may have impacted that difference.

If a drive down to Salem is reasonable for your friend, I recommend he check out Tritac.

Basic Handgun level 1, which they do, is a great beginner class which doesn't cost too much ($125+rental, if need be). No firearm needed, they will rent your friend one if he so wishes.

[This is a class for folks with ZERO experience, however others are welcome.
That sounds about his level. He's completely new to it, just as I was a few years ago. I'll pass the info on to him. Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top