JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't want to appear condescending in any way, and it doesn't seem like you took my response in that way at all, so...just noticed on another post that you're 33. You could be my boy. I have to wonder if when you look around you see people your age that seem dumber than crap? Constantly doing dumber than crap stuff? It looks that way to me, but hey I'm older, wiser.:D Seems like your generation can't get their GD faces out of their phones! No offence intended, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they seem like a real person.

Settle down old-timer. I'm sure your folks thought your generation was dumber than bricks as well.

Shoots, look at the world that you've left us. It's your generation running the world, not the youngsters.

Yeah, we replenished our secondary freezer with half a cow last week. The dogs benefited as well…
View attachment 711775
You need to add an old shoe.
1592465875934.png

Tell him he can get something from Raz up at the CHAZ/CHOP in former Seattle. Apparently in the CHAZ/CHOP, WA state and US laws regarding transfers and background checks don't apply.

So a guy comes here wanting to help a friend who feels he's ready to make his first firearms purchase, and gets all sorts of crap from some people?
We should be doing everything possible to encourage this new person into firearms ownership, and not denigrating him for taking so long to make this decision. We should also be trying to ensure he gets the best advice, and assistance possible. If you don't have anything positive to add to it, why not just keep silent?

I am turning 65 in a few days.
I completely understand the why now thoughts of your friend, at 65 you start to realize your cloak of invincibility is starting to become tattered around the edges and you start to feel more vulnerable.
I would highly recommend the S&W EZ slide, 380 only because ammo is still a bit more attainable, I myself prefer the 9mm.
I think SafeFire in Camas does some nice training classes and they are affordable.

My old shooting pal, Reg, had to give up shooting last year to concentrate on looking after his aging parents, both of whom are hale and hearty, if a mite frail, and in their late nineties.

Reg had to learn to drive at age 76, never having needed to do so before. He and his parents live in the village 900m from the range, and he has long used the village store as a source of most everything he needs. A neighbour used to take him into the nearby town of Oundle to do a big shop once a month, and then the neighbour died. So now Reg has to do some driving.

He came by the range a while back, about six months after leaving, in his new little car, proud as can be, but he admits that he's taken some ribbing in the local pub, where he's been a stalwart in the darts team since the late fifties, about leaving it so long to learn.

He passed his test first time, too, and scored the maximum points on the multi-choice part, AND he can read a license plate at 25m without squinting.

You have no idea. IMO, the millennial generation is split in two. I sling code for a Fortune 200 company. A lot of my coworkers are in my demographic. We've all got kids, mortgages, car payments, and are pretty much just trying to make our way in the world. The younger half of this gen, however, seems to have a few screws loose. I'm still trying to figure out the societal events that may have impacted that difference.
Wifey, at 57, has a hard time finding people from 18 into their 30s that will show up for 5 shifts in a row. Granted the grocery biz isn't all glamorous and high paying, but they don't seem to need the money? They all have these problems that keep them from coming to work for more that 4-7 shifts in scheduled period! They all seem to be either lazy, or lairs!

Settle down old-timer. I'm sure your folks thought your generation was dumber than bricks as well.

Shoots, look at the world that you've left us. It's your generation running the world, not the youngsters.

Read the above, the younger generation should try actually working, all the work, even the stuff that doesn't take a college degree and pay $70,000.00 a year to start. Now I know you work you butt of and you're whole family has work and earned every penny. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. And I know there are a lot of smart, hard working millennial and Gen-Z ers. But seems to me that too many of those two generations only want to have kids and the newest device. What the heck, the gov will pay for it!

WHAT'S THAT YOU'RE FLIPPING IN YOUR AVATAR ???

That's my Dad, always the jokester. My bro and I bought Mom and Dad an all expense paid night out to one of the finest steakhouses in the Salt Lake Valley for a Christmas present a couple years before he passed in 2010. He was having fun in the back of the limo. I doubt he EVER used that gesture for real.

So a guy comes here wanting to help a friend who feels he's ready to make his first firearms purchase, and gets all sorts of crap from some people?
We should be doing everything possible to encourage this new person into firearms ownership, and not denigrating him for taking so long to make this decision. We should also be trying to ensure he gets the best advice, and assistance possible. If you don't have anything positive to add to it, why not just keep silent?

There's no crap being flung here IMO. Just some questions. We really are a friendly bunch.

I am turning 65 in a few days.
I completely understand the why now thoughts of your friend, at 65 you start to realize your cloak of invincibility is starting to become tattered around the edges and you start to feel more vulnerable.
I would highly recommend the S&W EZ slide, 380 only because ammo is still a bit more attainable, I myself prefer the 9mm.
I think SafeFire in Camas does some nice training classes and they are affordable.

You and I were born a couple/three weeks apart in different parts of the country. Happy 65th!

Hey, the OP is one a the guys here.. and his name isn't Karen.

It seems to me the most important thing by far for any new gun owner is to know, believe, and never violate the four rules of gun safety.

After that the next most important is to know what situations u can legally use a gun and what situations u cant.

then what ramifications come if using a gun, especially keeping Portland location in mind.

after knowledge of those three things then learning how to use a gun effectively. Imo if a person doesn't have a good grasp of the first three items they could get themselves in trouble. Too many people imo go right to the mechanics of how to hold and shoot a gun but neglect the most important things.

Good basic gun training, like others said above, should cover those first three critical things. Also this assumes of course he/she gets a carry permit which kind of goes without saying if it's a carry weapon. Just my opinion but almost every gun related incident I see or hear of could be avoided if the owner simply knew and honored the four rules of gun safety.

Read the above, the younger generation should try actually working, all the work, even the stuff that doesn't take a college degree and pay $70,000.00 a year to start. Now I know you work you butt of and you're whole family has work and earned every penny. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. And I know there are a lot of smart, hard working millennial and Gen-Z ers. But seems to me that too many of those two generations only want to have kids and the newest device. What the heck, the gov will pay for it!

Well understood. I'm from what they refer to as Gen-X.

The point I meant to make was that while a goodly part of the onus falls upon the youngest generation to get their crap together, a significant portion of the responsibility also falls upon their parents (and their parent's parents), and how they raised them.

I think it's a pretty common want for parents to provide a better life than the one that they may have had growing up. As a result, it may lead to a sense of unhealthy entitlement for kids. Once they get weaned from mommy and daddy, have families of their own, the strong ones will buck up and rise to the challenge. I believe that this applies to most all generations. The popular adage about hard times, easy times/strong men, weak men comes into play.

IE. the so-called 'greatest generation' didn't get that label before they endured the challenges that were bestowed upon them. They acquired the moniker after they rose to the challenges and prevailed. Most 20-somethings(college-aged kids in the 1930s and 1940s were likely as clueless, until the hardships of life happened. The experiences that they endured, and the sacrifices that they made were as a much a necessity as a choice-- as it related to the overcoming of carefree attitudes common among youth transitioning to the responsibilities of being adults(which includes hard work).

I think it easy for someone from an older generation (w/ a lifetime of hard work behind them) to pass judgment on the youngest generation. It's also easy to forget that they were young, dumb and full of cum at one time too.

Last Edited:
I did not know that you could still get in at age 35. I would not like to be age 35 and go through Marine training. It wasn't real pleasant at age 18. The old man in my boot camp platoon was age 22.
You can't. As I previously posted in this thread: it is still 28.

What is this alleged crap you speak of? Care to point it out? I for one I'm not much into people telling me what I "should" do.

Wifey, at 57, has a hard time finding people from 18 into their 30s that will show up for 5 shifts in a row. Granted the grocery biz isn't all glamorous and high paying, but they don't seem to need the money? They all have these problems that keep them from coming to work for more that 4-7 shifts in scheduled period! They all seem to be either lazy, or lairs!

That's my Dad, always the jokester. My bro and I bought Mom and Dad an all expense paid night out to one of the finest steakhouses in the Salt Lake Valley for a Christmas present a couple years before he passed in 2010. He was having fun in the back of the limo. I doubt he EVER used that gesture for real.

There's no crap being flung here IMO. Just some questions. We really are a friendly bunch.
PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY ... I CAN BE A CLONE AT TIMES... I THOUGHT IT WAS YOUR DAD TYPING... HE DOES HAVE THE BIGGEST SMILE GOING ON...
I KNOW YOU MISS HIM... MY DADS 89 AND I MISS HIM AND HE'S ONLY IN ARKANSAS... ONCE AGAIN I APOLOGIZE... BOB
SEMPER FI

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top