JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another thread about Mini 14s people have stated they sometimes don't wear plugs.
I've had others shoot before I'm ready:mad::mad::mad:. I've probably done the same.:cool:

Apparently the mini is an ear drum destroyer.:eek:

Loudest thing that hurt my ears/hearing was a 44 magnum snubbie at the Range. Had my plugs deeply seated and was two spots away and it was still painful! I HAD to move way away and so did everyone else.

So who shoots without? What do you shoot and why? It's good to know it's possible in a need to shoot quick situation I guess but......
What are the quietest center fire rifles/handguns and calibers I wonder? Does this affect your choice for self defense or shtf weapons.

Ooh! Good topic!
Whenever I go shooting I wear earplugs. I always bring a box of those cheap foam ones in case someone in my group forgot theirs.
I wear those transparent plastic ones made by surefire. Very comfortable and easy to use. I've been using them for 8 years now.
When I go hunting I don't wear ear pro. I need to be able to hear to hunt and also not get shot by another hunter.
When I was in the infantry it was mandatory to wear ear pro on the range. We didn't wear ear pro overseas though. If you were on a Stryker like me only the vehicle crew and air guards had headsets.
When you dismounted the air guards would leave their headsets behind. Squad leaders had radios while on dismount.
Totally doable to shoot in a sustained gunfight without ear pro but you suffer for it later. I have minor hearing loss in my right ear and severe hearing loss to a specific frequency range in my left. What that means is when some people speak to me if they have the right voice it sounds like they are mumbling and I have to turn my head slightly to understand them.
If ear pro is available and you know ahead of time then wear it. I even wear a noise canceling headset when I mow the lawn. It allows me to play music from my phone at a low volume and actual hear it.
I plan on trying to shoot with it sometime soon.

Also, any of my 9mm's seem fine without earplugs. My 1911 is downright painful to shoot without ear pro.
My 7mm Rem mag is ok as is the 30-30. But my ar15 is just fine.
But I know there is more hearing damage being done so I wear ear pro while target shooting.

Not wearing ear-pro when shooting any caliber is, without any doubt at all, doing damage to your hearing. Incrementally for most, to the point that you don't notice the decline in sensory perception from damage to damage, but even .22lr from a carbine will do cumulative damage.

I sure as bubblegum regret not wearing ears shooting my M16A2 in the army - a significantly quieter weapon to the shooter than the mini-14, as well as 9mm from a handgun. My tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear are my punishment for my stupidity.

I'd shoot .22 shorts and cb's out of a rifle without plugs.
For most big game hunting I won't wear mufflers but there's a lot of times when you easily can.
If it's a defensive situation you just shoot.. fast and accurate.
I've had tinnitus since I was sixteen or so and once I realized the damage, I've been quite careful ever since.. doubling up on the range and whatnot.

All so true! Jimi Hendrix and fireing 105mm Howitzers didn't help any either! It never does come back and I protect what's left fananticly! Unfortunatly my wife is one of those quiet gals, I say speak up and she says she's bellowing! I say what a lot! You younger gals and guys, please, listen to us older guys! Every single loud decibel event, no matter how short, does damage!

One of the worst things I ever heard? A darned .30 carbine in a 6" Ruger revolver! :confused: Aaakkkk!!!

The only thing I'll shoot without hearing protection is a .22 rifle, and I mean 22 rimfire. Gonna shoot a 22 handgun? My ear muffs go on.
My grandpa and uncles were loggers and sawmill workers. Those guys can't hear worth a damn. I decided as a teenager that I was going to protect my hearing as much as possible.
I did used to shoot a rifle occasionally without protection. That's the only time I heard a Mini 14 when I wasn't wearing protection. No doubt they are loud! Not a big boom, but a very sharp crack that hurt my ears then.
All of the hearing protection lessons were really set in place when I shot 5 rounds thru a 41 Mag without putting my muffs on. My ears rang for 2 days!

One of my friends has an Automag in 30 Carbine. I could tell thru the muffs that it was a "cracker".

Anyone else can choose to shoot without hearing protection, but I ain't gonna!

Hunting is a different issue. No hearing protection, but with as few times I've shot in the field, it really doesn't matter.:(

All so true! Jimi Hendrix and fireing 105mm Howitzers didn't help any either! It never does come back and I protect what's left fananticly! Unfortunatly my wife is one of those quiet gals, I say speak up and she says she's bellowing! I say what a lot! You younger gals and guys, please, listen to us older guys! Every single loud decibel event, no matter how short, does damage!

One of the worst things I ever heard? A darned .30 carbine in a 6" Ruger revolver! :confused: Aaakkkk!!!
Lol. There sure is a lot a loud stuff out there. Maybe for me it was a 12" full-auto HK G3K .308.

lots of late 70s rock concerts:s0022: where you'd have temporary hearing loss after. Also decades of working in metal fab shops and my hearing is still pretty good!
Don't want to risk any more damage but the crazy in me wants to at least try 5 or 6 rounds outta my 9mm without protection.

I use my ears with everything I shoot. My great uncle is pretty much stone deaf but then again, hes been on the other side of a arty barrage or three.

I believe hearing loss starts at about 84db. Which in reality is not that much. We're talking about the exhaust in motorcycles, blenders, hammers, etc. those are all well over the hearing loss threshold.
A gun regardless if caliber is going to be over 85db's.

You'll regret the tinnitus, which has no cure and will be with you until you die.

My hearing loss is severe and was not due to not wearing hearing protection (viral infection). But i always wear HP now since loud noises really hurt my ears (think emergency sirens).
Tinnitus 24/7 and affected by loud noises and diet (too much Salt)....
Go figure.....

Not wearing hearing protection is a prescription for guaranteed hearing loss if not total deafness.
Mine began when I was young, but while on the rifle team in the Corps, I shot so much that damage occurred and hearing protection then was cigarette filters.
They didn't even know what it was.
Afterward I shot more than most and used improvised hearing protection and then the real stuff.
3/4 of my hearing was lost in the military.
After that ,....Off and on I got caught without hearing protection and that was a big mistake.

One of the trips with the Mini 14 and it finished my hearing off totally. I had a silent trip home and that is something you would never forget.

WEAR THE DAMNED HEARING PROTECTION OR I GUARANTEE ONE DAY YOU WILL SEVERELY REGRET IT.

lots of late 70s rock concerts:s0022: where you'd have temporary hearing loss after. Also decades of working in metal fab shops and my hearing is still pretty good!
Don't want to risk any more damage but the crazy in me wants to at least try 5 or 6 rounds outta my 9mm without protection.

Why even risk it? If you had to in a defensive situation of something similar, OK, no choice, but why when you have the option. Just one shot and things being right you may be spending a few thousand on hearing aides to hear your wife, or kids or grandkids. Forget the birds and insects anymore they are non existent........
Think about it.

While duck & goose hunting you can bet on getting muzzle blasted. I use the noise canceling ear pro & just watch my dog, she lets me know when something is flying!!!

I'll tell ya that it really SUX being hearing challenged, everyone sounds like Charlie Browns teacher and I am not being funny one bit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top