JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.22 (rifle) outdoors is pretty reasonable without ear plugs. But since I sometimes shoot with others, I never know when someone else might uncork a centerfire round nearby before I'm prepared, so I just wear it. I always double up (plugs under muffs) indoors, and outside too with crapyourpants calibers.

Most fun weapon I recall firing recently was a suppressed full auto grease gun in 45acp. Sweet mechanical noise of the clunky action, tinkling brass behind me and a pleasing ring from various steel targets. If I only had an extra $10k lying around in the weapons budget...

Guys, being "able to hang" is no measure of toughness or combat readiness, nor is "getting accustomed to it," (like shrugging off a solid punch in the ring or something). I've had tinnitus for 10 years and I'll never hear silence again. It sucks.

Why even risk it? If you had to in a defensive situation of something similar, OK, no choice, but why when you have the option. Just one shot and things being right you may be spending a few thousand on hearing aides to hear your wife, or kids or grandkids. Forget the birds and insects anymore they are non existent........
Think about it.
No kidding.. I wouldn't do that on purpose. Most 9's people carry are short barreled and with hot hot ammo, are about as loud as a snub .357. They'll ring your bell, perhaps permanently.

.22 (rifle) outdoors is pretty reasonable without ear plugs. But since I sometimes shoot with others, I never know when someone else might uncork a centerfire round nearby before I'm prepared, so I just wear it. I always double up (plugs under muffs) indoors, and outside too with crapyourpants calibers.

Most fun weapon I recall firing recently was a suppressed full auto grease gun in 45acp. Sweet mechanical noise of the clunky action, tinkling brass behind me and a pleasing ring from various steel targets. If I only had an extra $10k lying around in the weapons budget...

Guys, being "able to hang" is no measure of toughness or combat readiness, nor is "getting accustomed to it," (like shrugging off a solid punch in the ring or something). I've had tinnitus for 10 years and I'll never hear silence again. It sucks.

I forgot to say I had Tinnitus for years up to the point of total silence. Sometimes I wish for the tinnitus back.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a suppressor for any gun any time?... even if only allowed for indoor use?
Hmmmmm....I wonder if getting an audiologist to prescribe a suppressor would be covered under Bammycare?

If you could still hear** the preceding comment...
Thank your earplugs!

**If you're a humorless realist with no imagination, that could only read the preceding comment...
.....Thank your teacher.

Hearing protection optional? You bet! So is hearing!

Back in my youth (when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, if you ask my kids), wearing hearing protection when shooting was seen as wimpy, bordering on effeminate. I wore ear plugs even though some of the guys thought that called my manhood (and sexual orientation) into question.

Fast forward to today - many of my shooting buddies from high school are now wearing hearing aids and their favorite word is "What?!?"

Even .22's can be damaging to your hearing, if you're in a place where sound is reflected (like a covered range) or if you have a genetic predisposition to hearing loss. You can't always wear hearing protection when hunting or in combat or a self-defense situation, but every unprotected shot takes a little chunk out of your hearing. Sometimes it's a tiny chunk you can't even see; other times, it's a serious bite.

It's your choice.

Jim

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a suppressor for any gun any time?... even if only for indoor use?
Hmmmmm....I wonder if getting an audiologist to prescribe a suppressor would be covered under Bammycare?

Thank your earplugs!

**If you're a humorless realist with no imagination, and could only read the preceding comment...
Thank your teacher.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a suppressor for any gun any time?... even if only allowed for indoor use?

Thank your earplugs!

**If you're a humorless realist with no imagination, that could only read the preceding comment...
.....Thank your teacher.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH K Lets not get into the blind thing ROFLMAO.
Arms start shrinking at about 45 to 50, but hearing protection wont help on that one LOL:D:D:D:D

Unless bullets are coming at you, take the time to put on ear protection. After 25 +years of playing drums and shooting I am just about deaf in the frequency range of my wife's voice. She is convinced that I am ignoring her.

In 1963, I was the first kid in Oregon to have an operation that restored my hearing loss from severe ear infections due to strep/tonsillitis.
The scar tissue in my ear canals made me 90% deaf.
The surgeon cut away the scar tissue and inserted special shaped glass tubes, so that when the healing process was over, the tissue surrounding the glass tubes resulted in perfectly formed ear canals.
The doctor made me promise him to always avoid loud noises and wear hearing protection if I couldn't, so I wouldn't ruin all of his good work..
You can't believe how wonderful it was to be so deaf one day and then two weeks later, the glass tubes were removed and then being able to hear the doctors wrist watch ticking away from three feet.
All my life I've used some sort of hearing protection.

HONESTLY, I have found that my hearing loss from falling timber when I was in my 20's is not all that bad................most of the time;)

Most people have nothing intelligent to say, and those that do will repeat it louder when I explain that I can't hear them.:D

MANY years ago I realized how LOUD the world was getting, and it bothered me.:(

Now, because I can't hear most of the noise pollution, I can handle it..........:D

But, I'm REAL CAREFUL of protecting what hearing I have left............

When she says "I LOVE YOU", I don't want to mis-interprit as "I want to get rid of you"....:rolleyes::D

In 1963,either was the first kid in Oregon to have an operation that restored my hearing loss from severe ear infections due to strep/tonsillitis.
The scar tissue in my ear canals made me 90% deaf.
The surgeon cut away the scar tissue and inserted special shaped glass tubes, so that when the healing process was over, the tissue surrounding the glass tubes resulted in perfectly formed ear canals.
The doctor made me promise him to always avoid loud noises and wear hearing protection if I couldn't, so I wouldn't ruin all of his good work..
You can't believe how wonderful it was to be so deaf one day and then two weeks later, the glass tubes were removed and then being able to hear the doctors wrist watch ticking away from three feet.
All my life I've used some sort of hearing protection.

Amazing that you got your hearing back!!!
They say I qualify for a cochlear implant but most of the research I've done most have mixed reviews and horror stories of this he battery shocking them....

Unless bullets are coming at you, take the time to put on ear protection. After 25 +years of playing drums and shooting I am just about deaf in the frequency range of my wife's voice. She is convinced that I am ignoring her.

Let me guess... if you play right handed (putting the high hat on the left), that's your worst ear?

The old story about airline pilots is that the ones that started when the airline was formed were deaf in the left ear only, whereas the ones that worked their way up from copilot were deaf in both ears.

The Captain sits on the left side of the cockpit and the Copilot sits on the right side.

Thank your earplugs!

.....Thank your teacher.

Now that one seriously makes sense.
Sound repression should actually be built into every firearm as the benefits save many $$$ in medical bills.
Even OSHA controls sound levels to protect employees :)
It is an easy fix with firearms :D

Paul Harvey, Radio Commentator, used to tell a story about a man, who was Sure his wife had lost her hearing.

One day he came into their Living Room, and there she was in her Rocker, looking out the Bay Window.

He decided to test her hear Right then.

He said, "Honey, can you Hear Me"?

No Reply, so he silently moved in closer....

"Honey, can you hear me Now"????

Again no Reply. So he went deeper into the
Living Room....

"Honey, can you hear me NOW"????

And she said, "For the Third Time, YES"!!!!!

Just saying.... I listened to that in the mid Sixties..... But my years working in a News Paper Printing Department had Already TAKEN my hearing....

True Story: When I enlisted into the Army, in 1968, I went through the medical lines for fitness...

When I did the Hearing Test.... He explained how it worked, me in the soundproof box, the button to push when I heard the Sound, everything.

He proceeded to start the test. He stopped the test... Entered the room, asked me if I UNDERSTOOD how to do the procedure.

I said "Yes". He closed the door, and proceeded with the test.... He stopped, again. Same things were asked and said.

He closed the Door... Starting the Test for the third time.

He stopped the Test. Came in and said, "I see you are Enlisting...."

I proudly replied "Yes"...

He said, "You Passed"... To this day, I swear he added the three tests Up, so I could have a Passing Score....

philipism for the day.... Wear the flipping Hearing Protection. :confused:

HONESTLY, I have found that my hearing loss from falling timber when I was in my 20's is not all that bad................most of the time;)

Most people have nothing intelligent to say, and those that do will repeat it louder when I explain that I can't hear them.:D

MANY years ago I realized how LOUD the world was getting, and it bothered me.:(

Now, because I can't hear most of the noise pollution, I can handle it..........:D

But, I'm REAL CAREFUL of protecting what hearing I have left............

When she says "I LOVE YOU", I don't want to mis-interprit as "I want to get rid of you"....:rolleyes::D

No wonder you type so loud. :D

I use the same ones Hickock 45 uses. They do very well at the range and if I am hunting,it only takes a couple seconds to fit in your ears.If you don't have 2 seconds on a big game animal,you shouldn't take the shot.
No bird hunting,if you don't have the dog to alarm you,it's kinda hard to use protection.
Only guns I won't use protection on are 22 rifles.Even if you think it ain't so bad,it's taking a toll on your hearing.The concussion is damaging also

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top