JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you everyone!. It sounds like I am not alone in this hearing loss issue. at age 46 now, I am not going to even mess with more loss. I ordered electronic/shooting muffs last night. I am not sure how many here are LEO, but how do cops go through discharges while on duty and not suffer ruptured ear drums?. It is not like they have time to put on "ears" when they are in a life or death situation. ?.
It's kinda like hunting and doing a quick shot, your adrenaline is up and somehow your body takes over the protection. Sounds a little out there but I never have a ringing in my ears when taking a random adrenaline shot like at a critter that suddenly tries to attack or even an odd dog attacking but usually those are just a shot into the ground to ward them off.

The one requesting it earlier in crayon writing is a former marine…. right @1775usmc ?
Correct. Marines LOVE crayons! We can color with them, Write with them and the best part….. EAT them! Green is better flavor.

FDC6F1E5-E211-426C-A45D-F6F02F559FB6.jpeg DFDF8FA4-2688-4CB4-9E5F-F098D3B17D3B.jpeg

I have had a hearing compression problem my whole life but the brunt of the hearing loss came in 95. I lost 90% of my left ear comprehension and 60% in the right from a viral infection (they say). Anyone have equilibrium problems with loud noises? I do. Not fun trying to sleep with jet engines in your ears.
I recently lost 100% in my left ear due to a viral infection and already had profound hearing loss in both ears. With the hearing aid out I can't hear anything, with it in It's extremely difficult. Lost all balance for a few months but that's slowly resolving, going on 4 months now. At first they put me on a high dose of steroids and after that didn't help they started injecting my middle ear with steroids, nothing worked.

Thanks for the note, my right ear has loss due to an infection also. Hearing loss sucks to deal with. Especially when it affects doing fun things like shooting.
Agreed it makes communication difficult especially now that all the health care workers all wear masks and refuse to take them down so I can read their lips and facial movements to comprehend what they're saying.
Today when I was at a clinic giving blood the nice lady unmasked for me, I told her I sincerely appreciate her thoughtfulness.

I recently lost 100% in my left ear due to a viral infection and already had profound hearing loss in both ears. With the hearing aid out I can't hear anything, with it in It's extremely difficult. Lost all balance for a few months but that's slowly resolving, going on 4 months now. At first they put me on a high dose of steroids and after that didn't help they started injecting my middle ear with steroids, nothing worked.
Same here, the first healthcare contact wanted to treat it as swimmers ear!:eek:
Those steroids never helped me either, they just made me an ornary caveman for two weeks.
See my above post on trying to read lips through a mask.

Same here, the first healthcare contact wanted to treat it as swimmers ear!:eek:
Those steroids never helped me either, they just made me an ornary caveman for two weeks.
See my above post on trying to read lips through a mask.
Same here and if I tell them I'm hearing impaired they start shouting which makes it worse:(

Same here and if I tell them I'm hearing impaired they start shouting which makes it worse:(
I know right. They go from low to annoyingly loud once told we're HOH.
I tell them if they won't de-mask then I will not understand what they're saying, when they still refuse I ask for their supervisor.
I'm done being a nice guy with healthcare facilities.

New member here, long time shooter though. Years of Dirt bikes, jetskis and shooting has taken a toll on hearing. I wear hearing protection, but curious if any of you have had further hearing loss while still wearing plugs/muffs etc. Tips, tricks appreciated. Anyone else ever had a ruptured ear drum from shooting?.
Cheers!.
Not sure about with ear pro. I'll tell you one thing tho i grew up shooting with my grandfather no hearing pro. I play loud music in my vehicles. I ride 4 wheelers often. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I started wearing ear pro.

My hearing is at about 50%. I tell
All of my apprentices the importance of ear pro and I keep ear pro on my job sites for all my guys. Protect your hearing. I'm only 32 and I guarantee ill be using hearing aids before I'm 40

When I went in to my primary care Dr and mentioned my hearing loss she said you seem to hear me just fine. I told her I was reading her lips and to stand behind me with some very quiet music playing on her computer or cell phone and ask me questions that I should know the answers to. I couldn't even hear her voice. Long story short I've got hearing aids in both ears. It was raining the day I got the aids and when I stepped out of my truck I realized I'd never heard the sound of the rain hitting the tree leaves before. The hearings aids are not the miracle cure however. When I'm at a gun show with my back to the wall I get the reflective noise off the wall loud and clear and it makes it hard to hear someone right in front of me. I have to tip my head down to point the microphones towards them to hear better.
Back on topic, I double up plugs and muffs while at the range.

I had one set of the electronic hearing protectors. I liked them but never felt they screened out as much sound as straight, non-electronic types. Maybe because they weren't the most expensive money could buy. They were not water proof and failed. So now I'm back to 3M.

I have tinnitus and hearing loss. I was encouraged to submit a disability claim to the VA for these issues. The several hearing tests that I'd taken in the Army over the years were reviewed and they showed progressive hearing loss. As a result they equipped me with hearing aids. I'm on my second set now, rechargables.

I won't even run a lawnmower without hearing protection now.

New member here, long time shooter though. Years of Dirt bikes, jetskis and shooting has taken a toll on hearing. I wear hearing protection, but curious if any of you have had further hearing loss while still wearing plugs/muffs etc. Tips, tricks appreciated. Anyone else ever had a ruptured ear drum from shooting?.
Cheers!.

I'm a Rifle Guy, so for shooting I like the Otis EarShield for a couple reasons. 1) Doesn't use batteries. But 2) there is ZERO interference with your Cheek Weld on the stock. Around $20 to $25 most places.

For everyday (at the office, or for going to family events where I need to hear the Young-uns better) I wear an Oticon.

It's a bit spendy ($1,500 to $3,000) but it is customized to your personal hearing frequency profile. Makes a world of difference and I can't praise it highly enough. I've had mine for over 15 years and it only becomes more and more valuable to me as time passes.

OK. Reminds me of a Joke.

John and his wife were getting older, and John was beginning to be concerned about his wife losing her hearing.

So, he asked his doctor what he should do.

Doc said "Stand at a distance from your wife and softly ask her what's for dinner. Then gradually move closer to her and ask again. Find out how far away she starts to hear you".

So, John did this. He started at a distance and asked his wife what's for dinner. No response, so he moved closer and asked again. Still no response.

So, he got very close behind her and asked her what's for dinner.

His wife said "Dammit John for the THIRD time, Chicken!!"

:)

Tips, tricks appreciated.
I discovered how comfortable various ear protection could be, so long ago due to range exposure I began using muffs at home running various power equipment. Over the decades I've experienced a few brief episodes of what must be tinnitus, for a few long seconds to a couple minutes. Enough to appreciate how cheap good muffs can be. At matches I would use foam puffies under the muffs. I think it saved my hearing. I'm on my third trial set of electronic ears. Haven't found any I actually like better than the best red/black non battery models.

I had one set of the electronic hearing protectors. I liked them but never felt they screened out as much sound as straight, non-electronic types. Maybe because they weren't the most expensive money could buy. They were not water proof and failed. So now I'm back to 3M.

I have tinnitus and hearing loss. I was encouraged to submit a disability claim to the VA for these issues. The several hearing tests that I'd taken in the Army over the years were reviewed and they showed progressive hearing loss. As a result they equipped me with hearing aids. I'm on my second set now, rechargables.

I won't even run a lawnmower without hearing protection now.
I've noticed that the specs for amplified earmuffs usually have them at a few DB weaker than the average non-amplified. That's one of the reasons I double up when shooting rifles.

Deaf since being a toddler thanks to Spinal Menegitis. Whenever shooting, basic ear muffs or foam plugs. Dad used those orange or green tree shaped things from his time in the Army National Guard/Reserves. He's got some hearing loss now, but mostly due to age (81 now). He double up with muffs and plugs when indoor shooting.

Edit; I use muffs or plugs to prevent further hearing loss. Even though I am deaf with a threshold of 90-100db, I can get hearing damage from certain things so I want to protect whatever hearing I have left.

Tinnitus was an annoying thing from my 20's, didn't get any relief until the VA gave me hearing aids about seven years ago. In ordinary day to day life with people and activity going on around me, tinnitus wasn't as noticeable. But when things quieted down, it was dominant. Over the years, I just got used to it. The VA told me that using hearing aids would mask a lot of the effect of tinnitus. I don't know why this would be but it turned out to be true.

The hearing tests done by the VA are much more sophisticated than the old hearing tests done by the army. From my army days, I remembered the little sound proof rooms they gave the tests in, about the size and shape of an army shop van of the time. Then, I'd wonder if I'd really heard a tone or was it my imagination. "Did I really hear that?" Even though at the time my hearing was getting progressively worse, I never "failed" the tests and wasn't booted out for hearing loss. When the VA tested my hearing for the first time decades later, they told me, "Your hearing is such that you are in danger when out and about."

Now I wear the hearing aids most of the time I'm awake. I take them off to run machinery; no sense in amplifying noise. Before I got them, my greatest fear about hearing aids was that I wouldn't embrace them. One of my grandfathers had pretty bad hearing loss. He got hearing aids late in life but would never wear them. I'm glad to say that I easily got used to wearing mine.

I used custom silicon mold for trap and pistol competition (22+45) shooting which is louder. Didn't wear anything for waterfowl or upland game where the exposed shot are infrequent. Worked well. My major loss is disease related.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top