JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything that makes your ears ring has damaged your hearing. A recent hearing test showed that I have significant hearing loss from noise and constant loud tinnitus.
I have found that a .38SPL/.357MAG round inserted into the ear rim first (licking the rim gives better sealing) is faster to deploy than waiting for foam pieces to expand and works very well. Also, sometimes the foam pieces have to be dug out with a Bowie knife.:eek: YMMV - I have .38/.357 ears.

I was out at Clark shootin and got a foam one stuck in my ear. Had to ask range guy if he had some needle nose pliers , got a good laugh from him.

I was remodeling a kitchen a few years back and had just removed my foam ear plugs while I was pulling off some vinyl wallpaper.
There was a large house fly buzzing around the room, and after a couple of laps around my head, he decided to hide out in my left ear canal.
At first, I couldn't believe that little bugger would do such a thing.
Then as he crawled further in, I could feel his antennae vibrating against my ear drum.
I didn't want to dig him out and make a mess in there, so as I was calmly walking to my van to drive myself to the emergency room, I passed a garden hose and thought, "They will probably irrigate my ear canal with some water to flush it out." So I turned the hose on and stuck the nozzle up against my ear.
Worked like a charm.

After using ear plugs only wife and I purchased some 34db ear muffs and can say it's the only way to go. I can hear her in the car after we shoot.....but I still don't listen.

After using ear plugs only wife and I purchased some 34db ear muffs and can say it's the only way to go. I can hear her in the car after we shoot.....but I still don't listen.
Are those electronic?
I need a new set of electronic, not going to spend $200-300 for them, but want something POWERFU---and reasonable quality.

I have a set of Peltors, but they never have worked right, and now the warranty is expired.
They EAT BATTERIES (yes, I do turn them off),

Last Edited:
Are those electronic?
I need a new set of electronic, not going to spend $200-300 for them, but want something POWERFU---and reasonable quality.

I have a set of Peltors, but they never have worked right, and now the warranty is expired.

You should also pull the batteries after each use in these too as moisture is a killer for Peltors.
I've had 2 & warranty replaced both sets......

Are those electronic?

My Peltors are terrific but they like to turn on in the range bag. The volume knobs are shaped just right to catch on stuff and rotate. The best cheap amplified earpro I've found (and I've tried a few) are Caldwell E-Max. They have dual microphones and a single volume control. Oddly enough, the knob sticks out just like on the Peltors, but it doesn't turn on spontaneously in the bag. Comfy too, and shaped well for shooting long guns. The key thing for me is the ALC circuit - the part that turns the amplifier off for loud noises. Cheap ones can stay off for half a second or even two or three seconds after a loud noise. Good ones come back on so fast that they can allow you to hold a conversation while someone is shooting next to you. I have a couple pairs of the E-Max (for guest shooters) that work very well in that respect. I had one pair that was slow to react, called Caldwell and asked them if they were supposed to do that. They replaced them immediately with a pair that worked properly. Nice.

My Peltors are terrific but they like to turn on in the range bag. .......... E-Max .

Thanks for that info.:)
I'll check them out today.:D

STRANGE....I was always wondering why my ears were switched on 50% of the time I took them out of the bag, and I SWORE I turned them off last time.:(:mad:

I guess that's why I went thru so many batteries....now they leak acid around the battery poles...i've cleaned them a few times, but one side is completely dead now.:mad:

They were shorting out (screaches) after about 3 months of use, but didn't do it constantly, so I never sent them back in.:rolleyes:

I e-mailed Peltor, but rec'd no response.:rolleyes:

I just went to their site yesterday to see if I could call them..............no phone # listed that could find.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NOT a fan of Peltors:mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

The idea of chancing it is not something I would do. Ya all have fun on your own trying your guns with no plugs.
I spent a few years as an Iron worker and someone was using a cutting torch. Never really have figured out how he punctured it but I was told he was not paying attention and held the flame up to the tank. Anyway the tank took off like a rocket and smashed into a beam directly under where I was tightening bolts up.
The sound of that hitting the iron was like a massive bell went off in my ears. I just hear mumbling now if you talk on the left side of me.....I put my chair in my living room so everyone is on my left. Gives me more quiet time.
I wear plugs with any gun of any kind. Once some goes you hold onto the rest for dear life.

I don't recall wearing protection when I was younger but had the presence of mind to start using 'some' protection in my teens when I started shooting much more. However what probably saved my hearing was when I discovered about 20 or 21 I had a dry wax buildup in my ears and for the first time had them cleaned - holy guacamole! about a 50 +% IMPROVEMENT in hearing - then I realized I had better start using protection nearly all the time. Unfortunately about 10 years ago an uncontrollable infection in my right ear resulted in having to get a tube installed and that resulted in about a 70% loss in my right ear. When the tube was finally removed (just a couple years ago) it left a 1 cm hole in my eardrum with a permanent hearing loss so while I was safe and used protection I lost my hearing through illness - NOT damage and I still need to use protection. Even through all this and after testing I have no actual 'damage' from excessive noise and my hearing is only slightly less than say an average of the population - many of which have major hearing loss and don't know it.

I have been using Champion silicone corded ear plugs for years. I keep them in the case they come in to keep them clean and in shape. They work very well even when shooting my .50BMG. They don't get stuck in the ear canal like the foamies and are easy to remove using the cord. They are also very affordable. My wife and I both have earmuff style hearing protection that cost 5x as much and we don't use them at all any more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top