JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning to get back into target shooting and need to protect
whatever hearing I left. The newest forum Thread is 4 years old.

Couple questions-
I was told that 32 dB is the max any headphone type of protection can provide.
Is this accurate?

I would think that some decent earplugs would further reduce the dB levels.
Correct?

What brands are good values and work well?

Thanks!

...The newest forum Thread is 4 years old...
That sounds odd.
...I was told that 32 dB is the max any headphone type of protection can provide.
Is this accurate?...
Dunno. Who told you that?

...I would think that some decent earplugs would further reduce the dB levels.
Correct?...
Might. Might just be subjective. Might also depend on what & how you are shooting. Also if how you are shooting is affecting the proper fitment of earmuffs.

...What brands are good values and work well?...
We like 3M Peltor electronic earmuffs. With the gel add on ear cups.

Specifically the Sport Tactical 500 one. There are several versions of Peltor. The sport tac 500 have pretty decent battery life, voice pickup is good, shot cutout is great. WiFi is a nifty option if solo.

We do not use these as nightstand grab & go though. The power on function is a several second hold on the button. If you are looking for earmuffs for range, as well as home defensive protection, sadly these aren't the best option.

Camelifter, thanks for the thoughts. Peltor was mentioned in the 2020 thread. Wondered what might be new. The range will be the main use
as I don't have that much home defense shooting these days.

If there is one that offers over 32DB I have never seen them. What I have LONG done is use in the ear plugs under muffs. I like the electronic in the ear so I can hear what others are saying and can even hear my phone if called.

If there is one that offers over 32DB I have never seen them. What I have LONG done is use in the ear plugs under muffs. I like the electronic in the ear so I can hear what others are saying and can even hear my phone if called.
Are you talking about foam ear plugs or are you rocking the electronic ones under?

Hearing protection for gun fire

This is a good article with recommended ratings by type of firearm. NRR is the db reduction the protection provides.

What is missing in the article is using double hearing protection and indoors vs outdoors. For double protection you add 5 NRR to the highest of the two types of protection you use together to get the combined rating. Shooting indoors use a higher rating of 2-3 NRR more.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport (NRR 22) and have added Prohear gel pad which I find massively increases comfort with glasses and seals better as well. If I'm shooting alone, I'll add Howard Leight laser lite plugs (NRR 32). When shooting rifles and shotguns I usually go with the plug, sometimes both with rifles.

We have found the Howard Leights to be reliable and good on batteries. I know there are others out there (and with higher NRR values) that are good as well, but we have seen many in the price point of these fail frequently. We have four pair with no failures (knock on wood) with multiple years of frequent use.

Hope this helps.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport (NRR 22) and have added Prohear gel pad which I find massively increases comfort with glasses and seals better as well. If I'm shooting alone, I'll add Howard Leight laser lite plugs (NRR 32). When shooting rifles and shotguns I usually go with the plug, sometimes both with rifles.

We have found the Howard Leights to be reliable and good on batteries. I know there are others out there (and with higher NRR values) that are good as well, but we have seen many in the price point of these fail frequently. We have four pair with no failures (knock on wood) with multiple years of frequent use.

Hope this helps.
Same here except I use the Sonic Defender ear plugs. They have a diaphragm that closes from the pressure wave of sharp sounds like gunfire. There is a significant perceived difference if you skip either the muffs or plugs.

Believe it or not, foam ear plugs are actually very efficient.

Depends what I'm shooting:
Axil electronic plugs
Axil with muffs over them
Foam plugs
Foam plugs with Walker Razor slim electronic muffs

A few months ago, my 8mo old puppy got into my gear bag and chewed up all my hearing pro.

I am planning to get back into target shooting and need to protect
whatever hearing I left. The newest forum Thread is 4 years old.

Couple questions-
I was told that 32 dB is the max any headphone type of protection can provide.
Is this accurate?

I would think that some decent earplugs would further reduce the dB levels.
Correct?

What brands are good values and work well?

Thanks!
Wifey had a bunch of money on her Cabela's Card and decided to get a set of Walker Silencer in-ear plugs.
These are on Sale now...
https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bt-2-0/ I think Wifey got the non-blue tooth versions. She's had them about year and likes that you just don't worry once their in. I'd get me a pair but am concerned that the smallest foam still wouldn't fit my strangely narrow ear holes.

Can you fellas speak up I can't hear ya....20+ years on the job there was never time to put in hearing protection, I know it's my own fault. A suppressor blowing up in my face and many other loud mishaps on the job did me no good. The only good that came out of it is that I can't hear my wife very well....even when I can I pretend! I'm not the only one who can fake something!

Can you fellas speak up I can't hear ya....20+ years on the job there was never time to put in hearing protection, I know it's my own fault. A suppressor blowing up in my face and many other loud mishaps on the job did me no good. The only good that came out of it is that I can't hear my wife very well....even when I can I pretend! I'm not the only one who can fake something!
Sounds like you might be courting disaster posting like that? :s0131:

I recall seeing a few plugs rated at 33 and 34 NRR. But I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use 32's. I always double up with plugs (Surefire Sonic Defenders EP4) and electronics anyway...because there is no such thing as too much hearing protection...especially when shooting indoors.

Love the Sonic Defenders btw. Much more efficient than trying to mess with getting squishy plugs in correctly (my left ear always gives me fits for some reason).

You didn't mention if you were looking for passive or electronics. If you're looking for electronics, let us know the price range you're thinking about as it matters. Also note that with electronics there may be an ever so slightly lag with the clip off rate with electronic muffs...the millisecond it takes from the sound of the gunshot until the electronics shut off. This can be imperceptible for many people but your ears are still getting that jolt from sound, albeit for just a millisecond. But this can cause damage long term and it's another reason I always wear plugs under electronic muffs.

Are you talking about foam ear plugs or are you rocking the electronic ones under?
For years I just used foam under. Couple years ago I bought a set of Bluetooth In the ear. The unit sits over your neck and the plugs have wires that pull out and different size ear pieces to get a good fit. They can be used as in the ear alone. I use them like that when I am doing things like mowing the lawn. Can listen to radio and such and block out noise. When I shoot I use them with muffs over them. If no one is firing you can hear people talking to you and hear the phone if someone tries to call. Someone here recommended them. As soon as I tried them the first time I thought should have bought a set years earlier.
This is the one I bought

Different situations call for different solutions, but punching paper... moderately decent muffs with plugs has always been more than adequate for me.

I have a set of the Walker Silencers (bluetooth) as well. Mainly for hunting or out shooting with others where being able to hear ambient sounds is needed. They are quite comfortable and have a decent battery life.

They aren't as good as a set of muffs and plugs, and anytime you're messing with batteries and electronics there is another element/failure point of your kit to contend with. "KISS" is big in my book. IOW, love the Walkers, but not my preference.

I've tried several options over the years. Various electronic types as well... and they do work, but all told... whatever is the most comfortable and get's the job done is what I ultimately end up grabbing off the shelf when I'm heading out. My 20yr old standard muffs are well broken in, fit my ears and head contours just right, not too loose, not to tight squeezing my head... and grabbing a couple sets of foam compression plugs outta the jar... I'm good to go.

YMMV

I usually use regular old muffs. I shoot outdoors and not under cover. If I ever go back to a covered shooting range I will put plugs in, too.
I used to have a set of cheapo electronic muffs and I really liked the grandson to use them. That way he was protected and would have no problem hearing my instructions. They died and I need to get another set.
Shown is my favorite muffs. Can't get these anymore!

Larry Muffs.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top