JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably more to do with comfort, cost and what they have available. More reduction usually means more bulk, more expense and may be harder to find in the form factor you like. I usually go the most reduction I can find in the form factor I want, but sometimes the difference between 26db and 30 or 32 is quite a bit. If I am not sure I will even like that form factor I will get the cheaper model and only upgrade after I decide I like it for that use case.

And then there is the somewhat unique case for me in that I only like electros, because it is hard enough for me to hear already, stuffing in some serious noise reduction basically means I cannot participate in any kind of conversation. Those come with their own additional set of tradeoffs that need to be taken into account.

So basically there is more to earpro than just raw db reduction, and people will make different compromises based on those tradeoffs.

Comfort and fit for me. A poorly fitted, higher reduction rated protection is less effective then a well fitted, lower reduction rated protection. I find the cheap foam, cylinder style plug ones fit me the best and also offer the highest reduction rating. Cost is also a huge factor along with what I am shooting. Most muffs offer a lower reduction rating most of the time and for me at least are too HOT during the summer.

I used the ones from Harbor Freight for a while.
They are just bulky, but work great.

Then I went out shooting and a buddy loaned me a set of these.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 160218.jpg
I shot all day with them and they were great as we attempted to shoot clays.

Now I have a set for all four of us to use when we go out shooting.

I used the ones from Harbor Freight for a while.
They are just bulky, but work great.

Then I went out shooting and a buddy loaned me a set of these.
View attachment 1850801
I shot all day with them and they were great as we attempted to shoot clays.

Now I have a set for all four of us to use when we go out shooting.
They feel way better with gel cups installed.

WHat's nice about the electro headphones is you can put in the foam ear canal type plugs, and then the electro headphones over and turn up the volume so you can hear what people are saying when needed. Usually only need to do that when shooting long guns though. Pistol's generally are mitigated sufficiently with one or the other.

I hear comments about such and such gun is loud, that's too loud, etc but many people often wear 22db reduction muffs or similar. Why would a person not use the max db reduction available?
I agree plus have you ever noticed that the cheapest form of ear protection is very close to the best?

Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, 50 Pair - 33dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Travel, Concerts, Studying, Loud Noise, Work | Made in USA

Price:$14.99$14.99 ($0.30$0.30 / Count)

Probably more to do with comfort, cost and what they have available. More reduction usually means more bulk, more expense and may be harder to find in the form factor you like. I usually go the most reduction I can find in the form factor I want, but sometimes the difference between 26db and 30 or 32 is quite a bit. If I am not sure I will even like that form factor I will get the cheaper model and only upgrade after I decide I like it for that use case.

And then there is the somewhat unique case for me in that I only like electros, because it is hard enough for me to hear already, stuffing in some serious noise reduction basically means I cannot participate in any kind of conversation. Those come with their own additional set of tradeoffs that need to be taken into account.

So basically there is more to earpro than just raw db reduction, and people will make different compromises based on those tradeoffs.
Same here. When I need to double up, I use these for ear plugs:
They attenuate the entire band equally - unlike typical industrial/shooting earplugs - and as long as I have the amplified muffs turned up pretty high, I can still hear people well. I bought them for riding quads, which can flare up my tinnitus, but they work great in combination with amplified ear pro.

I guess I'll be the one to mention the elephant in the room....

If you've been married long and/or have kids, hearing loss really isn't all that much of a "bad thing" worth going to extremes trying to protect it.
Why do you think so many people getting up in their years tend to really "mellow out" and seem to be more at peace with their lives?:D

I say, as long as you have enough to get by on... use up what you can, while you can. It's not like you can take it with you or will be of any benefit to you when the lights go out, right.:s0155:

I'm a fan of Surefire's sonic defenders over foamies. I like their EP4's. They're much easier to insert and remove without have to do the constant rolling and stuffing.

My limited understanding on this topic is also that noise reduction varies across different frequencies. So when they test hearing protection they may be stating the highest NRR they achieved but this doesn't mean it was at gun shot frequencies.

Last Edited:
I'm a fan of Surfer's sonic defenders over foamies. I like their EP4's. They're much easier to insert and remove without have to do the constant rolling and stuffing.

My limited understanding on this topic is also that noise reduction varies across different frequencies. So when they test hearing protection they may be stating the highest NRR they achieved but this doesn't mean it was at gun shot frequencies.
Attenuation is typically stronger in the higher frequencies. Gunshots are typically mid range.

Not that there aren't fairly standard "better" options than others, I think it's important to remember that db ratings are typically "absolute". Meaning... given ideal circumstances, perfect fitment and proper use/application... it's the maximum sound mitigation they are capable of.

Since every person is different though, they may not be the "best" option for you. Improper use and fitment, they have found, can contribute to as much as a 50% reduction in sound pressure mitigation.

I haven't bought many ears lately and don't know if it's commonplace yet or not, but they were at one time planning to start labelling items with db ranges vs. absolute ratings. IOW, "across the majority of a wide range of the population" they could expect... say.... a 22-29db reduction. That's pretty significant if you consider that db's rise exponentially. IE., 10db is 10 times "louder" than 0db and 20db is 100 times louder. A 3db difference is roughly going to sound about 2 times louder. So a range of 22-29db really could make a highly significant difference in a products performance between one individual or another.

Trial and error is likely to apply.

Not that there aren't fairly standard "better" options than others, I think it's important to remember that db ratings are typically "absolute". Meaning... given ideal circumstances, perfect fitment and proper use/application... it's the maximum sound mitigation they are capable of.

Since every person is different though, they may not be the "best" option for you. Improper use and fitment, they have found, can contribute to as much as a 50% reduction in sound pressure mitigation.

I haven't bought many ears lately and don't know if it's commonplace yet or not, but they were at one time planning to start labelling items with db ranges vs. absolute ratings. IOW, "across the majority of a wide range of the population" they could expect... say.... a 22-29db reduction. That's pretty significant if you consider that db's rise exponentially. IE., 10db is 10 times "louder" than 0db and 20db is 100 times louder. A 3db difference is roughly going to sound about 2 times louder. So a range of 22-29db really could make a highly significant difference in a products performance between one individual or another.

Trial and error is likely to apply.
I think that would have just make it seem more complicated to a lot of consumers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top