JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to have a set of cheapo electronic muffs and I really liked the grandson to use them. That way he was protected and would have no problem hearing my instructions. They died and I need to get another set.
I hope "they" wasn't your grandsons chosen pronoun.

Wifey had a bunch of money on her Cabela's Card and decided to get a set of Walker Silencer in-ear plugs.
These are on Sale now...
https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer-bt-2-0/ I think Wifey got the non-blue tooth versions. She's had them about year and likes that you just don't worry once their in. I'd get me a pair but am concerned that the smallest foam still wouldn't fit my strangely narrow ear holes.
See if the walker "Skull Skrews" work with those. I have narrow ear channels too, the skrews worked well for me.

See if the walker "Skull Skrews" work with those. I have narrow ear channels too, the skrews worked well for me.
I had something like that when we were going to Johnson Creek GC. Very soft rubber material with stick in them. And doubled up with "Pies". :s0112: I do fine at the outdoor range with a mid grade Walker Razor's.

Good thing I wasn't sipping coffee! :s0140:

You guys and your narrow ureth….. uh, I mean, "ear canals"! :s0131:

IMG_1959.jpeg

I am planning to get back into target shooting and need to protect
whatever hearing I left. The newest forum Thread is 4 years old.

Couple questions-
I was told that 32 dB is the max any headphone type of protection can provide.
Is this accurate?

I would think that some decent earplugs would further reduce the dB levels.
Correct?

What brands are good values and work well?

Thanks!
Re brands, I would use 3M Peltor earmuffs highest NRR rating (rating shown in epa label). Yes you do get a slight boost by using earplugs plus earmuffs. Suppressors will reduce sound by usually around 30-35db, see chart below (ignore highlighting) to show how much % reduction that is.

Spent some money last year for a nicer pair of over ear electronic muffs after having Howard Leights. Went with Sordin's after looking at Peltor Comtac's and another brand I am forgetting the name of. The Sordin's I got don't have the ability to connect com's but that wasn't a priority for me. I have zero regrets other than wishing I would have spent the money sooner. I got the Sordin Supremes for the gel cups which is a must and offer all day comfort. It is hard to explain the difference between the Sordin's and Howard Leights but the Sordin's sound quality make it seem like your not wearing muffs at all until they cut out the sound from a shot being fired or another loud noise. I have had to turn them off and back on a couple times because I couldn't believe how good they were doing.

I have also run a borrowed pair of Comtacs for a range day and they were every bit as good as the Sordin's but I didn't feel they were better for the features I wanted/needed to justify the extra money. I say spend the money for a quality pair if you spend long periods at the range or shoot regularly. A good pair of electronic muffs makes the shooting experience more enjoyable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top