JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, it's Saturday evening here in yUK, and after a long day on the range, I asked the twelve guys there with straight-pull ARs of one kind or another if they'd have the real thing if they were permitted to, regardless of the cost.

To a man, they all said hell, yes.

One of the shooters has the yUK-only version of the LMT 'sharpshooter' rifle as issued to the British Army - complete with everything it comes with to replicate the real semi-auto rifle - that's around $10K here, BTW. He would happily pay that again to have a real working semi-auto. Odd to think that all of us can crank out 'manual' aimed shots almost as fast as the semi-auto version can do it, but for reasons of sheer not-here-ity we can't have the semi.

tac, missing his FAL, M1A, PSG-1, SVD and M1 Garand, even after twenty-six years without them.

Since the Hungerford Massacre took place here in UK on August 19th, 1987, ALL semi-auto centrefire rifles and carbines have been prohibited firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

Anybody who had one, or two, or like me, seven, had to turn them in or sell them out of the country to a place where they were still permitted - like, everywhere else but here.

What then happened was an upsurge in engineering cleverness whereby the gas-tube was a dummy, and the action was operated by a side pull lever. No conversions was permitted - the action had to be made from scratch with totally NO way on converting it to a semi-auto, hence the generally horrific price. The LMT rifle - made specially for the UK market as a straight-pull - is way north of $6000 here.

Have a look at Mark Bradley Guns, Southern Armoury and a few others. We can even get a BM59 or M1A or even a FAL or SLR as a straight-pull, providing that the makers are happy to cater for the small market here in UK for look-alikes. As soon as Bill Ruger was cold, his son Bill Jnr stopped pandering to the UK and ceased making the straight-pull Mini-14 and long-barrelled versions of the Super Redhawk - I have one of these in .357Magnum - pics if you email me.

No .22LR firearm was affected by the ban - we get all the same 'black rifle/military style' as you do, strangely enough, considering that most of them are made right here in Europe, at between two and three times the price that you guys pay for 'em..

tac, with apologies for the diversion off the thread.

Since the Hungerford Massacre took place here in UK on August 19th, 1987, ALL semi-auto centrefire rifles and carbines have been prohibited firearms.

Anybody who had one, or two, or like me, seven, had to turn them in or sell them out of the country to a place where they were still permitted - like, everywhere else but here.

What then happened was an upsurge in engineering cleverness whereby the gas-tube was a dummy, and the action was operated by a side pull lever. No conversions was permitted - the action had to be made from scratch with totally NO way on converting it to a semi-auto, hence the generally horrific price. The LMT rifle - made specially for the UK market as a straight-pull - is way north of $6000 here.

Have a look at Mark Bradley Guns, Southern Armoury and a few others. We can even get a BM59 or M1A or even a FAL or SLR as a straight-pull, providing that the makers are happy to cater for the small market here in UK for look-alikes. As soon as Bill Ruger was cold, his son Bill Jnr stopped pandering to the UK and ceased making the straight-pull Mini-14 and long-barrelled versions of the Super Redhawk - I have one of these in .357Magnum - pics if you email me.

No .22LR firearm was affected by the ban - we get all the same 'black rifle/military style' as you do, strangely enough, considering that most of them are made right here in Europe, at between two and three times the price that you guys pay for 'em..

So, I assume there was registration in effect prior to this? Was there much public backlash? Was there a run on large diameter PVC and endcaps? I was too young to remember this but I do remember the Aussie one.

NO apology necessary, its important for us here in the U.S.A to actually hear from some one who has had their rights basically destroyed by a tyrannical government. I fear this could happen to us here as well. Its a shame when so many have to pay for one persons mess.

So, I assume there was registration in effect prior to this? Was there much public backlash? Was there a run on large diameter PVC and endcaps? I was too young to remember this but I do remember the Aussie one.

Oh yes, registration had been in place in one form or another since the late 1920's. Public backlash was very muted on this occasion, unlike the nigh-on total villification of every handgun owner in the wake of the Dunblane massacres some eight years later when an orchestrated knee-jerk took all modern cartridge-loading handguns off the shooters in England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland told the Westminster gubmint to go piss up a rope, and kept all theirs. There are even around 3000 CCW issued there, as well.

Funny you should mention PVC piping and end caps...not necessary here in yUK. Considering the minute level of interest in baseball, the UK is, surprisingly well-equipped with baseball bats. My own is a Lou Gehrig commemorative, and a very fine it is, too.

Best

tac

Well, today a ''pro gun'' guy i know pretty well saw, my AR-15 and said, ''as far as I'm concerned nobody but the military should be allowed to have that type weapon". He meant an AR-15 type platform, This guy shoots, hunts, etc, but, I guess he thinks AR-15 type weapons are ''evil'' and have no place in the public sector. What say you, and how would you reply?? But, then, later he did state, that he would own one some day, but, it would be used only for SHTF situation. Lets hear what you would say to him in response.

FUDD...anyone that thinks the 2nd Amendment only applies to hunting...to shotguns and bolt action rifles needs to STFU.

The poor English. They seem to not know or have forgotten the near invasion by the German 8th army at Dunkirk and this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417992729.989613.jpg

I hear they are after knives these days as well.

I local representative used the same argument on myself when questioned about out need for "assault weapons "and "high capacity " mags

Why do the police need them? Why are the police buying MRAPs?!carrying AR15s ? Would the police protect myself and family with their life ?

I pointed out that I did not need or want a government entity telling me what I " need " to defend myself , what I can eat , what type of vehicle I can drive or what doctor I can see.

In a free country the choices are individual not the states business IMO

Unfortunately for the rest of the world, UK included, the United States of America is the only country on earth where the RKBA is written into the Constitution.

I don't care to enter into a Brit-bashing competition on this site, and any more attempts to draw me into a flame war will be ignored. I came here because, unlike literally everybody I know, mrs tac and I are annual visitors to Oregon and Washington. I came here to talk about a mutual love of shooting and all that goes with it in the USA - a sport I share with many good friends when we are IN the USA. I live in a community locale in the company of about 35,000 Americans, BTW, many of whom I have worked for, worked with or commanded in my 33-year career as a soldier.

Even though I'm only 1/8th British, belittling posts about the Brits are not wanted in THIS house, thanks. I came here voluntarily to talk and learn about guns from people who are lucky enough to live in a place that I can only envy and temporarily share at substantial personal expense, and I can just as easily leave if you'd prefer it.

'sup to you.

tac

Last Edited:
You'd be suprised how many gun owners are actually very ignorant of the mechanical nature of firearms and how they function in the real world.

I've run into more guys than I can count - gun owners, mind you - that thought an AR or an AK was a "full auto assault weapon."

Going hard more confrontational isn't going to help the cause.

Take time to teach them, and we might gain an ally.

I would let him shoot it and see if it changes his mind

I would tell him if the first musket was designed with a pistol grip he would be hunting with a Ar15 type or rifle.

Then tell him the British didn't believe that Americans should own muskets.

You'd be suprised how many gun owners are actually very ignorant of the mechanical nature of firearms and how they function in the real world.

I've run into more guys than I can count - gun owners, mind you - that thought an AR or an AK was a "full auto assault weapon."

Going hard more confrontational isn't going to help the cause.

Take time to teach them, and we might gain an ally.
Sadly it still wont help.
Ive pissed away countless hours talking to the ignorant and bigoted..
Ive been "The nice guy"
And Ive been the "Confrontational guy".. The only element that assures their understanding is open mindedness.. NONE of them have this.
They are close minded bigots.

This isnt a vent/jab at you, Im just letting you know the hope for allies and converts is nil.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top