JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sadly it still wont help.
Ive pissed away countless hours talking to the ignorant and bigoted..
Ive been "The nice guy"
And Ive been the "Confrontational guy".. The only element that assures their understanding is open mindedness.. NONE of them have this.
They are close minded bigots.

This isnt a vent/jab at you, Im just letting you know the hope for allies and converts is nil.
That hasn't been my experience.

But, walk into a conversation defensive and calling someone a bigot usually isn't going to work out - and that might make your conclusion a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It may be a mistake to think of the AR-15 question in terms of 'left wing' or 'right wing' as those labels may no longer mean what they used to. The Central Government and its leadership have been corrupt for many many years regardless of which political party held power. In my opinion the two party system is now broken. We had something of a choice with Ron Paul. But love him or hate him, most people must admit that the GOP leadership and the media did their best to undermine RP's candidacy. To me the ownership of a firearm (or firearms) is about our right to self-defense and liberty of the individual, regardless of party affiliation.

I've gotten some traction by first showing people my Mini-14's, since they look less threatening. Then I show off one of my AR's pointing out that they function essentially the same way (my AR's are even piston driven), and the only difference is you can build an AR like putting together a tinker toy. I'll even mention that full auto versions of both rifles fire at the same rate, which helps to make the point that they are semi-automatic.

The ironic part that few ever get to know is that one of my Mini-14's is a fully legal machine gun, and technically more "dangerous" than my AR's.

Maybe more dangerous to your wallet.... :rolleyes::D

Honestly, I haven't shot it in full auto in a great many years, and have come to the conclusion that for me, semi-automatic is preferred. I think aiming and picking your shot is more effective defensively, at least for me. It's value at this point is as an investment more than anything else.

Here in yUK we have twelve guest days a year on our outdoor club ranges [there are over three hundred members in our club, BTW]. I have yet to see a single person, who may never have actually touched a firearm before in their entire lives, who fails to be totally captivated by shooting any of the poor excuses that we have here ANY of the so-called 'black rifles'.

No matter whether it is rimfire or centrefire, the fact and feel of holding such a wonderfully-contrived shooting machine leaves them all with a huge grin. 25% of all our club membership comes from people who come as a member's guest, and then come back and joins us.

Just one of our members has over $80K invested in these not-quite-right guns, in rim and centre-fire. He and his wife and two girls - both under twelve - have a whale of a time, as you can imagine. 2000 rounds of .22 in a three different version of a Spikes Tactical something doesn't go that far in a day.

tac

Mine have never been fired single shot.
Why even put a selector switch on a Mac 11 or a Thompson with a 100 rd drum.
It's not like you're sharp shooting anything.

I have found that arguing doesn't get you anywhere.

Though I have had fun having conversations with closed minded people. You can easily present a fact based argument to them that they can't counter and watch their heads erupt....

In the end you expose them for who they are in their hypocrisy or false
logic.

I've gotten some traction by first showing people my Mini-14's, since they look less threatening.
629_pimped_mini14_2_1_.jpg

Funny how a black stock, pistol grip and a flash suppressor can make something go from "that's okay" to "that's evil!"

I have found that arguing doesn't get you anywhere.

Though I have had fun having conversations with closed minded people. You can easily present a fact based argument to them that they can't counter and watch their heads erupt....

In the end you expose them for who they are in their hypocrisy or false
logic.

You forgot "mindless drone" syndrome. :D

Given the Mini-14's notoriety for inaccuracy, the safest place is in front of them from 50-yards on out.

:s0037: ;)

Not exactly a great paper puncher without a lot of $$$ in mods, but as a defense rifle they work just fine. The pencil barrel version like the one in the picture has a tendency to walk, but the barrel strut on that one solves that problem and tightens the groups up a bit. Yup, it's unlikely that you would ever squeeze the same accuracy out of a mini that you can an AR, but most still shoot a 2-3" group at 100 yards out of the box.

Not exactly a great paper puncher without a lot of $$$ in mods, but as a defense rifle they work just fine. The pencil barrel version like the one in the picture has a tendency to walk, but the barrel strut on that one solves that problem and tightens the groups up a bit. Yup, it's unlikely that you would ever squeeze the same accuracy out of a mini that you can an AR, but most still shoot a 2-3" group at 100 yards out of the box.

Thus resulting in a KIA as expected.... I'll take a 2-3" group at 100 yards any day!!!!!

Here's my two bits worth. Probably might draw some fire here, but hey. I personally don't care for them. Aside from some really well tuned semi auto pistols, like the 1911, I don't care for many semi auto rifles, save the M-1 Garand or the M-14. Shot plenty of M-16's in the military, and I have never been able to like them enough, for various reasons (none of which is they are "evil" or bad looking) to actually own one. I can shoot them well. I was an armorer as a Air Force cop so I worked on plenty of them. I have absolutely no issue with anyone owning an AR. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on one. If one were given to me, it would probably get sold off or traded for something like a new pistol or a bolt action rifle. For a gun owner to say that no one should have an AR is pure heresy (or lunacy).

Over the years I have seen some proposed anti-gun / gun control legislation that was, predictably, over the top. Some legislation that addressed the 50 BMG was vague enough that it would have banned / restricted anything in 50 caliber. I own a 50-2.5" Shiloh Sharps that this legislation would have made illegal. Gun banners would ban or restrict any semi-auto firearms given the chance. Give these clowns an inch in compromise and they will take a mile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top