JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually went in the other direction, carrying a lil NAA 22 mag 5 shots. Before it was P11 with 12+1 and spare mag of 12 for 25 rounds. Come fall, winter, and spring I'll switch back but some days I much rather have less weight.

To each their own

Give up my 1911??? Forsooth!

More and more people will start working in groups, just look at flash mobs. But the truth be told, pistols are the last resort and shouldn't be relied upon to stop anything. Should one decide to carry a hi-cap pistol, unless your hits are in the snot locker, determined folks can live up to several minutes before they expire...and a lot of damage can be done in that amount of time.

Head shots are hard to make, even in a controlled environment like the range...now try to make them when you or your loved one is being accosted by 2-3 or more people...someone will eventually get to you, either by physical contact, or with a firearm of their own.

Pistols were designed for ease of carry, because rifles are cumbersome to pack 24/7. And please don't give me the...pistols were meant to fight your way to your rifle. UGH!!!! Sorry folks, but Clint Smith is way off the mark with that comment. Confrontations on the street are sudden and unexpected, and you'll have to take care of biz right then and there...and who knows just how far away your rifle is.

Getting back to the original subject matter of the thread; I don't feel under gunned with 7 rounds, along with another 8 on the belt. If I get flash mobbed, my hope of survival is pretty slim to start with. If I get jumped by 2-3...lord help them, because no one else will be able to.

Keeping your head on a swivel, and being able to read signs of trouble is the best preventative medicine.

I will stick with my 1911. I carry 7+1 and a spare mag. I am the most proficient with it out of all of my pistols. I know that I cant ever plan on what kind of confrontation I will have, but most wont last that long from either good hits or someone running.

I am setting here with my two magazines and kimber custom ii cutting into my side - guess the saying that what you carry should provide comfort and not necessarily be comfortable - I agree fully. I will put my kimber on the night stand and do it all over again tomorrow and the next day and many after that because to me is the right and normal thing to do. It seems that the only time I am not carrying one form of 1911 is when I go to work and that is only to follow the rules of my employment. I try not to look for trouble and I hope I never find it but I know better than to count trouble out it always seems to find me.

James Ruby

I did drop the 1911 and fell back to my Hi-Power. Mine had a reliability issue, was a CZ-USA/Dan Wesson PM-7 in 10mm and after 800 rounds of non +P, factory-loaded ammo the hammer started following, the factory fixed it on their dime but how long til it would happen again?

Anything is better than nothing, and I would assume that unless this mob is targeting you in general that many would flee after the lead starts flying.

nope.

If the "mob" is so determined to do me harm that the first rounds hitting them don't cause them to scatter, a few extra additional rounds are not going to be that much help and I'd sooner go for my knife...

I just recently traded my 1911 for a Golani.

I shoot a single stack pistol better than a double stack pistol, so 17 rounds that don't hit the mark are not any better than 9 good hits.

Ditto...I had this mindset for a good while when I had my 1911. I had originally bought it for IDPA, but ended up carrying it for concealed carry (once in a while) due to this very reason. Nevertheless, I noticed the combat potential for a high capacity, striker fired semi auto. What I could do with a 1911, I could do it three times faster with a Glock 22.

Also, you don't have to hit the X to kill someone...this is just the reference point for "center of mass" on your target.

Screen+shot+2010-11-09+at+1.22.46+PM.png

I have an old Ithaca 1911A1 (carried a 1911 for years while in The Army) with NM parts installed, but its needing some work done on the safety selector... the detent is popping out too far keeping it from working readily... I've grown used to my G30 now, so no use in going "back" to my 1911 for an EDC.

I actually never owned one. Never thought that the added power was worth the control, speed, capacity, and value of a 9mm. So I guess you could say that I gave up my 1911 before I ever had it. Times change. I shot both and made my decision. I still shoot .45s sometimes, but it's not my round of choice. I get faster, tighter shot groups and can switch targets much faster with a 9mm.

9 out of 10 targets run when the first round is fired anywhere around them, and 9 out of 10 of those who are willing to take a hit will cease their assault no matter where you hit them or what you hit them with. I don't think that having to shoot that hundredth guy a couple extra times is really a problem.

I honestly carry for comfort and concealment, as I'm completely sure that a .380 will do everything I need it to do. Hell, I'd be ok with a 22lr. You show me a guy who'll take 5 of those to the torso and head and keep moving toward it, and I'll show you a guy who I can outrun.

I'm honestly glad that this discussion has remained so civil...nobody jumping in to bash anyone's preference or personal opinions...

Here is the beef that I try to keep bashing into people's skulls when it comes to carry pieces...

You should carry the biggest and best gun that you can afford that carries the most rounds in the biggest caliber that you can both comfortably carry and accurately shoot. Period. If you make six figures a year and carry a hi-point, you are a fool. If you make just above minimum wage and dump $3K on a gun just to throw it in a $20 nylon holster you are just as foolish. Is a single stack 1911 wrong? No. It is no more wrong than carrying a .32ACP mouse gun. You just have to accept the limitations of your firearm and your own ability. If you can dump two 1911 mags in under 10 seconds and accurately hit all rounds in a targets vital area's at 10 feet then you are golden! Talk all the crap you want against any hi-cap carrying CHP holder that bashes your single stack...nobody here can argue about the saying- "A .22 in your hand is better than the .45 you left in the car." Nobody.

I'm honestly glad a civil and productive conversation about firearms was sparked on NWFA.com...

Keep armed out there folks...the bad guys don't take vacation days!

My primary carry gun is (or was) a Dan Wesson CCO, a gun I love dearly. For the past six months I've been carrying my XDm .45 with a spare mag, and the only reason is because of the 10 or 14 round capacity (depending on what I'm wearing). It seems across the country more and more crimes are being committed by people in groups.

What are your thoughts?

I read a lot of responses in this thread that make reference to having to give up the 1911 platform for 9mm or something else with more ammo capacity. there are a lot of MFG's that make a 9mm in the 1911 platform. Kimber, Springfield Armory and STI are a few. There is also another option to keep your 45 cal and increase ammo capacity. Go to a 1911 platform in 45 or 9mm with a double stack magazine. STI makes a 2011, which is the 1911 platform with a double stack magazine offered in three calibers and three magazine capacities;17+1, 20+1 and 26+1, I think that should be plenty of ammo for a fight. Here is the link; Cut and paste it to your browser. <broken link removed>

I don't recall ever having seen a flash mob video where they were armed. I think the most realistic scenario is 2 or 3 thugs that may be armed. A riot scenario may be a different story. However, I believe taking out a couple of the front line would give pause to all the others. A single stack 1911 with reloads available would be fine in my opinion.

Multiple assailant practice will benefit anyone.

As was mentioned...Situation Awareness is what counts.

Give up my 1911??? Forsooth!

More and more people will start working in groups, just look at flash mobs. But the truth be told, pistols are the last resort and shouldn't be relied upon to stop anything. Should one decide to carry a hi-cap pistol, unless your hits are in the snot locker, determined folks can live up to several minutes before they expire...and a lot of damage can be done in that amount of time.

Head shots are hard to make, even in a controlled environment like the range...now try to make them when you or your loved one is being accosted by 2-3 or more people...someone will eventually get to you, either by physical contact, or with a firearm of their own.

Pistols were designed for ease of carry, because rifles are cumbersome to pack 24/7. And please don't give me the...pistols were meant to fight your way to your rifle. UGH!!!! Sorry folks, but Clint Smith is way off the mark with that comment. Confrontations on the street are sudden and unexpected, and you'll have to take care of biz right then and there...and who knows just how far away your rifle is.

Getting back to the original subject matter of the thread; I don't feel under gunned with 7 rounds, along with another 8 on the belt. If I get flash mobbed, my hope of survival is pretty slim to start with. If I get jumped by 2-3...lord help them, because no one else will be able to.

Keeping your head on a swivel, and being able to read signs of trouble is the best preventative medicine.
I used to carry a 1911 in 4" length. I switched about 2 years ago to a G29 because of its ability to be hidden, but still give me 11 very deep, large leaks on target. I train all the time and can handle the weapon well by any standard. My 1911's are my favorite semi's to shoot, but I put my life in the hands of my G29. It's what I feel gives me the best chance to stop a threat.
That said, I carry a Kahr PM9 with +P when the G29 is too big to conceal because of how I'm dressed, and I go all the way down to my NAA 22 magnum when swimming and such,as I believe any gun is better than no gun.

I carry a BHP 40 and Glock 22 with at least 2 spare mags each. Likely will pull the BHP first as I shoot it better/faster. I do not feel undergunned for having only pistols but wish like heck I could carry a long gun as well. Thanks, you Olympia libtards, for eliminating the CCW of long guns, you helped only the bad guys, once again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top