JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kroger/Fred Meyer is so openly anti-gun, I would be surprised if they did anything more than post no carry signs and sponsor gun buyback programs.

Too bad, I shopped Kroger/Fred Meyer a lot of years, now I drie right by them.

Oregon has quite a few FM's that sell guns, but most of them do not. It depends on the area and demographic is my guess, not sure how they decide which stores will sell them. Maybe the laws in Washington and Idaho are different and they just don't want to screw with it, not sure. They actually ordered my HK45 for me and I got a very good deal. Sorry about the snide remark, failed to recognize you were from out of state.

It's very common practice for big stores like Fred Meyers to have their stores geared towards the local market and to test that local market every now and then.Case in point I collect LP's (you know records) and a couple years ago someone in a music dept made an ordering mistake. Next thing you know they have to sell some LP's. The Music Dept manager put them out and in nothing flqat they were all sold. So of course this up the chain in command and pretty soon they had LP's in small displays in a couple dozen stores and after that went over so well they put them in around 50 of their stores. And now Fred Meyers in a bunch of their stores.

So they might be looking at how a gun dept. works in various stores and decide which stores it's profitable to have gun and ammo sales.

I felt cautiously giddy last year when I heard FM in Newberg would have a gun counter soon. But after decades of comparing their prices to other stores, higher for pretty much everything, I knew exactly what to expect. Kind of a hollow sense of reassurance to learn this was no exception.

I felt cautiously giddy last year when I heard FM in Newberg would have a gun counter soon. But after decades of comparing their prices to other stores, higher for pretty much everything, I knew exactly what to expect. Kind of a hollow sense of reassurance to learn this was no exception.

Just that fact that they are selling them is all I need to know. Don't even care if they are a good deal or not. It is a mainstream general purpose store bucking the trend of companies bowing down to the anti-gun establishment. If that isn't a reason to support them I don't know what is. Guns out in the open where liberals and conservatives alike buy their groceries is a good thing. They can't be evil if they sell them at the same store that I get my breakfast cereal. Just a little perspective.

Philly, I couldn't agree with you more. I just wish they'd charge less for everything from guns to granola bars.

In this sh*tty economy, some shooters regard a firearm as a big ticket purchase. Sadly, price point is the defining factor in where many people buy, and sometimes whether they buy or not. I'd like to see slightly lower prices and big profits for FM through higher volume sales.

Talk about perspective, wouldn't it be cool if Freddy became the go-to guy for reasonable milk and ammo?

Watch the newspaper ads, clip the coupons, buy only the specials and past-date meats. I do all of my own shopping and always walk out of Fred Meyer with my receipt saying I paid 40-50 percent off of regular prices. Now if only they sold guns in my part of town! But they won't in Southeast Portland---too much danger of a stick-up!.......................elsullo

+1 to philly.. It may be worth to buy a gun or two at Fred Meyer, even with the higher prices. If gun sales at Fred Meyer soars, they will start carrying a larger selection and maybe start attracting a larger customer base. Considering that Fred Meyer is a mainstream store that every bleeding-heart liberal and freedom-loving yahoo both frequent, this is a very positive step in right direction. Suddenly, buying handguns becomes casual and all the gun haters become desensitized. Also, there is just something so comforting about doing your food and gun shopping at the same time. People see your grocery cart filled with food for your family, stuffed animal/toys for your kids and guns for yourself, it sends a good message. Perhaps, if more people could support Fred Meyer's guns, they would start to focus on becoming a more serious dealer. There prices are high because their primary target are not deal hunters. Guns are not big priority yet for them, so they are not really trying to be so competitive in that market. However, if enough interest is expressed, this can change. FYI, I saw a beautiful S&W 629 shiny Mountain Gun for sale a tad bit below the retail price at Freddys. It was sitting there right next to an M&Pc. I cannot tell you how happy my eyes were seeing them sitting together in a FM like this.

On another positive note, i am happy to see Sports Authority and other sports stores that were once absent of firearms, to now be stocking a decent supply of ammo and long guns. This is also a step in the right direction.

sounds like they are going the opposite of Target. I bought my first shotgun at a Target in Colorado about 2 weeks after they opened (back in 1980 or so). unfortunately I don't remember seeing guns in Target in the last 20 years. I'll have to check next trip back to CO and see if they still have em there. Come to think of it I bought my mark II pistol at Longs drug store. I doubt they carry guns any more either... The one I miss the most though was a drive through liquor and gun store that once resided in Roseville CA. they ended up going out of business when some regulation changed so they couldn't do drive through any more... I miss pulling up to the window and asking for 2 boxes of 12 ga 4 shot, a brick of 22, 2 boxes of 45, a six pack of beer and a bottle of crown....

and now back to the original story after the rant....

Kroger/Fred Meyer is so openly anti-gun, I would be surprised if they did anything more than post no carry signs and sponsor gun buyback programs.

Too bad, I shopped Kroger/Fred Meyer a lot of years, now I drie right by them.

Ummmm....you're wrong.

Fred Meyer sells gun and ammo at a few Oregon Locations and ALL Alaska locations. I've never seen Fred Meyer sponsor a gun buy back, and I've never seen a posted no carry sign at their stores. Fred Meyer is a good northwest company with good northwest people working for it. Don't grad their name through the mud with a bunch of unsubstantiated BS.

Kroger, it appears has and yes they own Fred Meyer, however Fred Meyer is still run out of the PNW, and I would never say they are anti gun.

Interesting thread!
The Newberg Freddy's, where I shop, has always had (except for a short 2 year stint) some ammo. It wasnt much, didnt cover all cals, was extremely over priced and fit in the space of one shelf of an end isle lockable display with knives. wasnt really visible to folks unless you went looking in the shadows.

Ummmm....you're wrong.

Fred Meyer sells gun and ammo at a few Oregon Locations and ALL Alaska locations. I've never seen Fred Meyer sponsor a gun buy back, and I've never seen a posted no carry sign at their stores. Fred Meyer is a good northwest company with good northwest people working for it. Don't grad their name through the mud with a bunch of unsubstantiated BS.

Kroger, it appears has and yes they own Fred Meyer, however Fred Meyer is still run out of the PNW, and I would never say they are anti gun.

adding to that there is a letter by the DP of fred meyer confirming they support their customers who carry concealed on their premises. Even open carry, but would prefer concealed carry. Here is the link to it
Fred Meyer Policy
2nd separate email
Fred Meyer / Kroger Weapon Policy [Archive] - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR