JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was shooting with a group of friends a couple weeks ago, one of whom is a washington state patrolman and I asked him if he would want to be informed that I had a CHL and was carrying. He said I didnt have to tell him but as a courtesy it was appreciated. I specifically asked if there was any info he received over the radio/computer at the time of a traffic stop that would indicate if I had a CHL. He said "no". The plates and drivers license are on completely different databases. He said they would have to specifically ask the dispatcher to see if I had a CHL or he would never know.

I have no reason to not believe him.

Not sure why but he is not telling you the truth. If you want to hear it, all you have to do is listen to their radio traffic for a while. You will hear them being told if the person they ran has a WA CPL. You can hear their radio traffic free if you wish.

Not sure why but he is not telling you the truth. If you want to hear it, all you have to do is listen to their radio traffic for a while. You will hear them being told if the person they ran has a WA CPL. You can hear their radio traffic free if you wish.

where? I want to listen to stupid it might be good for a few laughs:D

Maybe a WA CPL is linked to a WA drivers license? I have an OR, AZ and UT CPL and an OR driver license.

where? I want to listen to stupid it might be good for a few laughs:D

There are a few apps for this. I use Broadcastify since I am a member of the Radio Reference deal. Joined the first time when the City here went Digital. The new Scanner I bought claimed you put your Zip code in and they took off. I almost sent it back after I could not make it work. Then found the help I needed on the RR site. After joining I saw I could have just listened with them for free. In any case they offer a LOT of traffic from many places. If you listen on a PC you can monitor multiple channels at a time. Of the phone app, far as I can tell, you can only hear one at a time. This is with the free app. I have heard but not tried, so pay ones that offer fancier stuff like the scanners themselves do for pennies compared to what a modern scanner cost.

Maybe a WA CPL is linked to a WA drivers license? I have an OR, AZ and UT CPL and an OR driver license.

Now that could well be, not being an LEO don't know. I know for decades now that I have listened you hear LEO's being told the person they are running has a CPL. Also tells them if they are a felon. Most long ago went to a computer in the car so this info also pops up there when they run a tag or name. Now why one would chose to say this is not the way it works? Got me there. Have to guess they think it will "scare people" or something?? I really have no idea why one would feel the public would not "like" this. To me having a CPL always seems like if I was a Cop, it would make me feel better. You at least know the person passed a pretty thorough back ground check last time the thing was approved. ???

Has anyone had the experience where a LEO asked to see their concealed license? How did it go?

I've only been pulled over once in my adult life. I was legally carrying concealed and the officer didn't ask about firearms in the vehicle and I didn't say anything.

Producing a CHL seems like something that, if properly concealed, wouldn't even be an issue unless the firearm had to be used and the courts got involved.

If memory serves, it seems like LE can only ask for it based on their perception of danger. For example, you're acting squirrley and strange... evasive, etc He could point this out and then ask if you have a weapon... leading to the question about a CHP. Otherwise, I think the question is legally off limits. I used to be a LEO but that was long ago, before computers in cars and before concealed carry was a big thing.

I find having a concealed carry license essentially vets me wth police
In a traffic Incident I hand over Drivers license with Concealed Carry License together, tell them whether or not I am carrying, & if so exactly where it is.

These guys never know when they stop you if you are a "normal" human being or just ready to shoot them for whatever.

Good idea to be straight & polite with the police.

Never stopped by police.
Broke down once. While waiting for a tow, a Bully of a State Policeman stopped and asked me if I was carrying. This was because he saw my GOA hat and was apparently incensed about the Second Amendment.
My gun was stored and he did not want to see it. When he asked, I told him I did have a CHL.
He came back 30 minutes later and gave me Hell because my permit was expired.
(Remember, my weapon was stored, not on me, and he would not entertain a 2-way discussion.
Threatened to take me to jail if I continued the discussion. I told him "I understand" and I STFU.

Yes, it happened and no, there is no embellishment.

Now I have heard that it is tied to your DL&plates but, I have also heard that it isn't. Where can one find proof that's it's one or the other? Is there a leo on this forum to say what is what or is there a website one can look at to see. I have heard about a 50/50 on this subject.
Yes, it's attached to your DL and name and date of birth.

Never stopped by police.
Broke down once. While waiting for a tow, a Bully of a State Policeman stopped and asked me if I was carrying. This was because he saw my GOA hat and was apparently incensed about the Second Amendment.
My gun was stored and he did not want to see it. When he asked, I told him I did have a CHL.
He came back 30 minutes later and gave me Hell because my permit was expired.
(Remember, my weapon was stored, not on me, and he would not entertain a 2-way discussion.
Threatened to take me to jail if I continued the discussion. I told him "I understand" and I STFU.

Yes, it happened and no, there is no embellishment.

Sadly Police Departments are staffed by humans. Most departments of course try to hire the best, but again the hiring is done by humans. Mistakes are made. Fortunately they are rare.

A week ago, returning to Hood River, I was startled by being pulled over immediately after exiting Route 84. The officer said I hadn't signalled my turn from the off ramp a full 100 feet before the turn and took my drivers license, regisration and proof of insurance back to his car.

On returning, he said that he noticed I have a Washington permit and asked if I was carrying (I wasn't for a change). He pointed out that Oregon doesn't honor Washington permits, to which I thanked him and mentioned that such is why I have an Oregon permit as well. He bid us well and left. Generally a very polite and pleasant city police officer. But interesting which CPL he knew about and which one he didn't.

Oregon does not notify a person of upcoming renewal!

That's news to me. I've had an Oregon CCW permit (from two different counties) ever since I left law enforcement many years ago, and I've always received a notice about a month before it expired. My current permit expires in August, so I'll keep an eye out to see if Washington County still notifies.

ON TOPIC: I've never been asked if I was carrying or to see my CCW permit the few times I was stopped for traffic, but any time I interact with an officer (traffic or otherwise), I always immediately tell him/her I am, and that I have my permit on me. That little courtesy seems to set a positive tone, and may be why I've only once received more than a verbal warning during a traffic stop (even without mentioning that I was once on the job).

Way back when, I taught a couple courses in criminal justice. One of the things I always included was the old saying "diversion starts at the curbside." In other words, a citizen's attitude may have a large impact on how an interaction with a LEO progresses, so it makes sense to be polite and make an officer's job easier.

Last Edited:
I've had my Oregon chl for almost 7 years and haven't been pulled over once. But I keep my wallet on the dash and insurance and registration in the visor. I don't want to have to put my hands anywhere an officer wouldn't be able to see them.
My plan has always been to hand my CHL & DL to the officer if pulled over. I know it's not required, I'd just do it as a courtesy.

No renewal notice 3 years ago in Multnomah County.

That's news to me. I've had an Oregon CCW permit (from two different counties) ever since I left law enforcement many years ago, and I've always received a notice about a month before it expired. My current permit expires in August, so I'll keep an eye out to see if Washington County still notifies.

ON TOPIC: I've never been asked if I was carrying or to see my CCW permit the few times I was stopped for traffic, but any time I interact with an officer (traffic or otherwise), I always immediately tell him/her I am, and have my permit on me. That little courtesy seems to set a positive tone, and may be why I've only once received more than a verbal warning during a traffic stop (even without mentioning that I was once on the job).

Way back when, I taught a couple courses in criminal justice. One of the things I always included was the old saying "diversion starts at the curbside." In other words, a citizen's attitude may have a large impact on how an interaction with a LEO progresses, so it makes sense to be polite and make an officer's job easier.

ON TOPIC: I've never been asked if I was carrying or to see my CCW permit the few times I was stopped for traffic, but any time I interact with an officer (traffic or otherwise), I always immediately tell him/her I am, and have my permit on me. That little courtesy seems to set a positive tone, and may be why I've only once received more than a verbal warning during a traffic stop (even without mentioning that I was once on the job).

Renewal notices must be up to the county the pemit was issued in .

Last Edited:
Has anyone had the experience where a LEO asked to see their concealed license? How did it go?

I've only been pulled over once in my adult life. I was legally carrying concealed and the officer didn't ask about firearms in the vehicle and I didn't say anything.

Producing a CHL seems like something that, if properly concealed, wouldn't even be an issue unless the firearm had to be used and the courts got involved.
My brother in law is WSP. He said that they don't generally ask, and in his opinion, you shouldn't volunteer the information if you are carrying, unless you are asked to step out of the vehicle. That means they are likely going to search you and find it anyway. Better let them know at that point. The reason he didn't advise telling them you are armed unless absolutely necessary is that, while most WSP are OK with armed citizens, some are not. No sense alarming one of the nervous Nellies. It could get ugly. Just take your ticket and go.

I have interacted several times with the WSP in the last year or so. Speeding, no ticket. Headlight out, no ticket. Finally smacked into a deer and totaled my SUV. The events are not related ;) Never once was I asked about it and the interactions were quite professional.

However, my tow truck driver made a big deal of notifying the officer he was carrying. The officer seemed a little puzzled, you'd have thought these two people would have crossed paths before in their line of work.

I have interacted several times with the WSP in the last year or so. Speeding, no ticket. Headlight out, no ticket. Finally smacked into a deer and totaled my SUV. The events are not related ;) Never once was I asked about it and the interactions were quite professional.

However, my tow truck driver made a big deal of notifying the officer he was carrying. The officer seemed a little puzzled, you'd have thought these two people would have crossed paths before in their line of work.

My "best guess" here is in how it is done. As in "Officer I have a gun", compared to "Officer I have a CPL.............." LEO's have good reason to be at least a little on edge when making a stop. Most of us are at least a little nervous when it happens. So if you blurt out the word gun, well I can see how it may cause a little discomfort. It's why last several interactions I had my DL and CPL in hand together to hand to them. I was not going to say anything until asked. The LEO just waved the stuff I had in hand away as I was not being pulled over and I have to assume they had already run me before they even got out of their car.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top