JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pulled over on my way to work years ago gave drivers license/ reg and ins. He comes back all bent because I didn't give him the permit as it showed up when he ran my license. I politely let him know that it was not a requirement/law that I tell or give it to him. He didn't like that I knew more than him. All this because my license plate light was out and obviously he was bored. No ticket issued and told to have a good day......

4F6555CB-773B-4689-98A7-FBE4B2CED216.jpeg I think this would look good as a dash ornament!

I've had permitted concealed carry in Oregon since 1981... never been asked for my CHL. Never offered it either. Traffic stops LE knows. In my business I have told LE assisting me that I have a CHL and am carrying, but never have been asked to produce the card. I think they are just happy to have another gun along....

I was pulled over, up in the mountains, by a police officer that didn't like the looks of my truck (1980 toyota). The first thing he said was " do you have your weapons permit today son" (I was around 30 years old). This struck me as odd and not a good sign of things to come, I responded yes sir. I gave him the permit and my license. He then asked me "are you wearing body armor". I told him no (I was wearing a t shirt). He responded "well I am". He let me know he didnt like my truck, he wasnt happy. He then walked around the truck a couple times and told me the bumpers were to high and the tires stick out to far. He said it wasnt fit for the road and he didnt want to see it again.
The whole thing was completely ridiculous. I remained respectful and friendly throughout the whole thing, he was neither. His attitude/behavior was completely inappropriate for the situation.

As for the truck, I still own it and drive it all the time. I've never been hassled before or since. It is a trail truck but I regularly drive it 100-200+ miles to and from trails, camping, etc. I keep it in good mechanical condition, the tires dont stick out anymore than 90% of the jeeps on the road and I have good mudflaps. Its not some pos thats falling apart going down the road.

(In Oregon )I have a scanner and hear them running plates . If the registered owner has a chl it comes up. Which is good .It tells the LEO your a legal gun owner.

It's like that in WA too, even though many keep repeating the misinformation that it is not for some reason. I too always thought an LEO would be more at ease to hear this. After all if they are told the guy you are stopping has a permit you have to figure he is far more likely to be someone who is law abiding than just the average driver.

I have never been asked in the State of Washington when stopped. One time for not useing the turn signal going from the ramp on I-5 to the main part of the highway.
A BS stop in my oppinion, where else would you be going. That is self explainitory.

My only strange experience happened in Longview, Wa in 2008ish. I was carrying with a CHL legally, a used Walther P22 [ was about all I could afford at the time ]. I was stopped because I rolled through a stop sign. I was also driving a piece of sh#t. When the City PD officer walked up to the window I handed him my license and CHL because in my mid 20's or so I wasn't sure what to do exactly, having never been in the situation. I figured I'll just be upfront and honest.
I told him here's my CHL and told him I was carrying and where the pistol was.
I respect what cops do and they have a thankless job. But this guy was something else. He asked me why I handed him my CHL. I said I wasn't sure what I was required to do so I tried to be upfront. He asked me the usual questions, what kind of gun, where are you going, is there anything illegal in the car. I was honest but I knew it looked wrong. I'm in a bad neighborhood, I have a gun, I'm driving a P.O.S.
My record was and is clean, he checked my registration, my record. Then he came back to the window and I'll never forget what he said. He said [ Mr. Joe Snuffy, I don't understand why you're carrying a gun, what are you doing, where are you going ] ? I was going for a pack of Marlboro's I told him. I explained to him that I've never been arrested, been to jail, I go to work, I'm an Iraq vet, why are you giving me a hard time? I was damn near shaking I was so mad. He said, and again I'll never forget, not making this up [ Mr. Joe Snuffy, I haven't begun to give you a hard time ]. A second and older officer showed up, asked me the same stuff, I told him the same stuff, the two officers talked a few moments and they let me go.
The whole thing was just bizarre. I'm convinced that the only explanation, is that the 1st officer is a democrat!! When I eventually get pulled over I still believe being straight up and honest is the best policy generally speaking, could be wrong. Sorry for the Book HaHa!!!

Everything you can do to reduce an officer's stress level (without giving away your rights) will help you in a traffic stop, especially if its after midnight.

Edit to add, hands on the top of the steering wheel, friendly greeting, dome light on(if easy to reach).

YOU want the stop to go routine and boring.

Only time I had an opportunity to do so, I did just to see how it played out. Dude didn't care, just said he'd prefer I don't touch it then gave me a ticket anyway. Oh well. Turned out my permit had lapsed a week or so earlier unbeknownst to me so I may have gotten real lucky

Oregon does not notify a person of upcoming renewal! I wish they would. Utah does . They send you a renewal form and request current info and ask for a dirt cheap fee.
God bless UTAH

My only strange experience happened in Longview, Wa in 2008ish. I was carrying with a CHL legally, a used Walther P22 [ was about all I could afford at the time ]. I was stopped because I rolled through a stop sign. I was also driving a piece of sh#t. When the City PD officer walked up to the window I handed him my license and CHL because in my mid 20's or so I wasn't sure what to do exactly, having never been in the situation. I figured I'll just be upfront and honest.
I told him here's my CHL and told him I was carrying and where the pistol was.
I respect what cops do and they have a thankless job. But this guy was something else. He asked me why I handed him my CHL. I said I wasn't sure what I was required to do so I tried to be upfront. He asked me the usual questions, what kind of gun, where are you going, is there anything illegal in the car. I was honest but I knew it looked wrong. I'm in a bad neighborhood, I have a gun, I'm driving a P.O.S.
My record was and is clean, he checked my registration, my record. Then he came back to the window and I'll never forget what he said. He said [ Mr. Joe Snuffy, I don't understand why you're carrying a gun, what are you doing, where are you going ] ? I was going for a pack of Marlboro's I told him. I explained to him that I've never been arrested, been to jail, I go to work, I'm an Iraq vet, why are you giving me a hard time? I was damn near shaking I was so mad. He said, and again I'll never forget, not making this up [ Mr. Joe Snuffy, I haven't begun to give you a hard time ]. A second and older officer showed up, asked me the same stuff, I told him the same stuff, the two officers talked a few moments and they let me go.
The whole thing was just bizarre. I'm convinced that the only explanation, is that the 1st officer is a democrat!! When I eventually get pulled over I still believe being straight up and honest is the best policy generally speaking, could be wrong. Sorry for the Book HaHa!!!

Lucky it wasn't Kelso PD! LOL

It's like that in WA too, even though many keep repeating the misinformation that it is not for some reason. I too always thought an LEO would be more at ease to hear this. After all if they are told the guy you are stopping has a permit you have to figure he is far more likely to be someone who is law abiding than just the average driver.

I was shooting with a group of friends a couple weeks ago, one of whom is a washington state patrolman and I asked him if he would want to be informed that I had a CHL and was carrying. He said I didnt have to tell him but as a courtesy it was appreciated. I specifically asked if there was any info he received over the radio/computer at the time of a traffic stop that would indicate if I had a CHL. He said "no". The plates and drivers license are on completely different databases. He said they would have to specifically ask the dispatcher to see if I had a CHL or he would never know.

I have no reason to not believe him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top