JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has been brought up before many times.

Look at it from the LEO's point of view in any state.
Whom among LEO loves surprises.....................none.
I put hands on wheel, listen then politely say I have a CHL and
I am armed my firearms is located.... XYZ and still not move until directed to.

So whether its legal to ask, what does it matter just tell them and let the air be cleared.
Or you can wait and say nothing and either he catches a glimpse or sees you have on on record.
I can say you are more apt to get out of a ticket by letting them know your one of the good guys up front
and are showing them a courtesy.

But this is just me.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I was mostly curious to hear if anyone had been asked to produce the license (I assumed the police can see it on whatever profile they pull up).... it looks like, for the vast majority, it's been a non-issue.

Only time I had an opportunity to do so, I did just to see how it played out. Dude didn't care, just said he'd prefer I don't touch it then gave me a ticket anyway. Oh well. Turned out my permit had lapsed a week or so earlier unbeknownst to me so I may have gotten real lucky

I handed a lady officer my CHL along with my drivers license when pulled over for an illegal U turn. She handed it back and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out.". No mam, I won't be doing that. Got off with a warning. :D

Never had to show it to LEO; I don't have much contact with them. I rarely carry so it would rarely be an issue. I've been told that when the officer runs you on their computer, they have access to other DOL licensing information. Including handgun registrations. Which could be a long list for some of us. Don't know this to be fact, just what I've been told.

Only time I've been asked to show the card is by FFL dealers.

Now, if I were carrying and got pulled over, I'm not gonna spill my guts. I'll let them ask and I will answer truthfully and comply with their instructions.

Presumably, vehicle registrations would also be on the DOL computer data under your name. I've only got four vehicles now, but years ago I had over twenty registered in my name. Some LEO's might wonder about that.

Whenever these threads come up, I think of the Mr. Goody Twoshoes that got pulled over and declared that he was carrying.
The LEO promptly took possession of the handgun/DL etc and went back to his cruiser to check wants and warrants on the guy.
When the LEO returned, he handed the guy his DL and his field stripped pistol !

So there's that.

:)

I handed a lady officer my CHL along with my drivers license when pulled over for an illegal U turn. She handed it back and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out.". No mam, I won't be doing that. Got off with a warning. :D

ALL of my interactions have gone like this. NEVER got a ticket. I'll ask tomorrow when I see em. (Oregon ONLY) I'll even show pic proof or whatever if they allow me to

ALL of my interactions have gone like this. NEVER got a ticket. I'll ask tomorrow when I see em. (Oregon ONLY) I'll even show pic proof or whatever if they allow me to
Just don't offer to show any family movies or you will be getting that ticket and all those previous ticket escapements will be re-evaluated.

:D

Have not been pulled over in decades and never asked. Last couple times I had an interaction was at a breakdown. I had both in hand ready to hand together. Just got waved away by the Officers. I of course assumed they had run my plates so knew who I was and that I had a CPL by the time they walked up to me. Had a run in over a decade ago while walking my dog that I ended up calling the law for. I was using a fanny pack to carry. Neither of the LEO's asked. If they had asked for my ID I would have handed both to them.

I always make a point to have both hands on the wheel. and tell the LEO that I have a permit, gun, and it's location. I then ask how they'd like to proceed. That's gotten me out of tickets for decades save one. That deputy said he appreciated my concern for his safety, but that he wasn't worried about me shooting him because killers don't get permits.

Yes but...
Not with a traffic stop...I was asked after the police responded , when I stopped* my neighbor's soon to be ex-husband...from beating her head on the stair railing.
*By stopped I mean by , eventually having to aim my rifle at him , and telling him to leave , after he advanced upon me , threatening me....
Andy

Good thing you've had enough of killing men, many would have dropped the guy and then had to deal with the aftermath!

Now I have heard that it is tied to your DL&plates but, I have also heard that it isn't. Where can one find proof that's it's one or the other? Is there a leo on this forum to say what is what or is there a website one can look at to see. I have heard about a 50/50 on this subject.

(In Oregon )I have a scanner and hear them running plates . If the registered owner has a chl it comes up. Which is good .It tells the LEO your a legal gun owner.

In WA, your CPL shows up when you get ran through the computer. DOL gets paperwork from your CPL issuing agency and its tied to your drivers license. Since your plates and vehicle registration are tied to you as well, the same info pops up when those items are ran.

Is LEO the only ones that are informed of the info or does it show when insurance company etc receive this info when they do a record check.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top