JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As in "Officer I have a gun", compared to "Officer I have a CPL.
So back when I worked at a pawn shop ...
We had a guy come in , wearing a GI Field Jacket and kept his hands in those deep pockets...
He wandered around the shop and wasn't very talkative...not that , that was unusual but....
When he walked up the counter and announced that : "I have a gun...":eek:
Things got a little sporty ....

Turned out all he wanted to do was sell his pistol...while buying his pistol , we had a talk 'bout the English language , phrasing , tone and nuances....:D
Andy

No, it's tied to my drivers license so they know already if I have one and if it's valid or not.

My Understanding is that WSP absolutely has access to CPL info, other agencies may or may not.
As I have understood to this point, OR has your CHL and can see it when they run your plates or your DL. WA has it to be seen only through your drivers license. Someone with WA LEO experience may be able to explain it better than I.

I have had several active and retired cops from different parts of the country tell me, that as far as they were personally concerned, they had no interest in you declaring that you had a concealed permit or a gun in the vehicle, unless they felt the need to ask. They did not view the volunteering of such information as to be any of their business or of interest to them.

The CPL in Washington is not "linked" to your drivers license. Both are, hover, issued by the Dept. of Licensing.
When the Police here run your name the info is there to see. When they run your tags, if you are the owner they have the info there. Can't really understand why so many have so much trouble with this. The LEO's LONG ago got computers in the cars.

I listen to the scanner and I have 100% heard the dispatcher tell the officer not only about CPL but what handguns that person is "associated" with. I can only guess that comes from the back ground checks that are done by the local sgerrifs office?

I can't tell you with certainty if it was when the license plate or the drivers name was ran the information was relayed and I can't tell you with certainty what department I've heard it on but I can 1000000% tell you in Washington they absolutely have that info somehow.

I've been pulled into weigh stations in WA and OR for paperwork checks. Also got stopped by OSP near Meachum and once in ID near Cour D Alene (also work truck). Each time they ran my license (I assume) and each time I was armed... no one ever brought it up. Not me. Not them... nobody.

...what handguns that person is "associated" with. I can only guess that comes from the back ground checks
Wow. For some people that would get exhausting... quite a long monologue. I'd think after about 15 or 20 the officer would just be like, "Okay thank you... 10-4. Bye now. Dispatch, please stop talking. Geez... SHUT UP! I GET IT! DUDE'S GOT GUNS!!! LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M TELLING DAD!!!".

So in Oregon if my wife or son get pulled over the LEO is advised they have a CHL, they don't, when they run the plates because the vehicle is registered in my name?

So in Oregon if my wife or son get pulled over the LEO is advised they have a CHL, they don't, when they run the plates because the vehicle is registered in my name?

When they run tags first they get RO. They of course do not know who is driving yet. Many cars now have automatic plate readers. They alert the LEO if the RO has suspended, warrants, ect. They will then pull that car over to check. Until they talk to whoever is inside they don't know who they are. As soon as they run the names or ID of the driver and anyone else they run, they get the info.

Does it say the registered owner of the vehicle has a CHL before they know who is driving the vehicle? This is my thought so I have told my wife and son to keep both hands on the wheel until the officer asks for their DL. Which is a good practice regardless of having a CHL or not having one.

Last Edited:
OR CHLs are processed through the various counties' Sheriff's Departments.
OR DLs and registration go through the DMV.

How
do they get tied together?

If the answer to that question in any way involves the phrase "interdepartmental communication and cooperation" (or any one of those words independently) then I can draw my own conclusions as to why I've never been asked about my OR CHL or WA CPL... they just don't know.

If felons and crazies can (and do) "slip through the cracks" (guv-speak for "we didn't do our job) of the NICS system, I have 0 confidence that a state-run system which involves "reporting" is run any tighter.

Never been asked for the permit specifically. I used to give LEO my carry status up front, but quit after a WSP trooper asked me for my weapon after doing so. Although it is their right to disarm you for officer safety, we had a short exchange about both of our safety and he backed down. Unless I am asked about status I will never say anything. Contact since this incident years ago nothing was ever brought up.

I no longer tell them my carry status after being pulled over for expired tags. I was taking the car to the emission testing station and had purchased a 1 day permit that allowed me to get the test and tabs taken care of. I told the officer that I had the permit and that I was carrying before I handed him my license ,registration, insurance card, travel permit and CPL. He had me out of the car with my hands on the roof while he called for assistance. 3 more cars arrived, they didn't take my gun only asking me what I was carrying while two of them were looking into the car through the windows. After a bit they all left except the one that originally made the stop and he handed me back my stuff plus a ticket for the expired tabs! I asked him why do I have to waste my time going to court over this when I have a valid permit to drive for one day with expired tabs. After looking at the permit again he gave it back to me and let me on my way. This happened on Aurora Ave in Seattle.

Does it say the registered owner of the vehicle has a CHL before they know who is driving the vehicle? This is my thought so I have told my wife and son to keep both hands on the wheel until the officer asks for their DL. Which is a good practice regardless of having a CHL or not having one.

Here in WA, yes. No matter who is driving one of my vehicles, when the tag is run my name and info will pop up if they are using the computer in the car. If they call in the plate the dispatcher can see all that info and may or may not pass it on. How long and how much info they pass on by radio will depend on why the tag is being run or what he LEO is asking.

OR CHLs are processed through the various counties' Sheriff's Departments.
OR DLs and registration go through the DMV.

How
do they get tied together?

If the answer to that question in any way involves the phrase "interdepartmental communication and cooperation" (or any one of those words independently) then I can draw my own conclusions as to why I've never been asked about my OR CHL or WA CPL... they just don't know.

If felons and crazies can (and do) "slip through the cracks" (guv-speak for "we didn't do our job) of the NICS system, I have 0 confidence that a state-run system which involves "reporting" is run any tighter.

I can't speak to OR and how they do it, but I can for WA. If you have a WA CPL and WA license the info is there for any LEO who runs the name. No idea how OR does it.

I no longer tell them my carry status after being pulled over for expired tags. I was taking the car to the emission testing station and had purchased a 1 day permit that allowed me to get the test and tabs taken care of. I told the officer that I had the permit and that I was carrying before I handed him my license ,registration, insurance card, travel permit and CPL. He had me out of the car with my hands on the roof while he called for assistance. 3 more cars arrived, they didn't take my gun only asking me what I was carrying while two of them were looking into the car through the windows. After a bit they all left except the one that originally made the stop and he handed me back my stuff plus a ticket for the expired tabs! I asked him why do I have to waste my time going to court over this when I have a valid permit to drive for one day with expired tabs. After looking at the permit again he gave it back to me and let me on my way. This happened on Aurora Ave in Seattle.

<sigh>, sadly stories like this only tell others one thing. LEO's are part of the human race. Rarely, but it does happen, someone is hired to be a Cop who should not be one.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews