JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have ten handguns that I have kept in one of my safes. A couple of them are in holsters and the others are in those Apache (Pelican style) boxes that Harbor Freight sells. I'm kind of curious as to whether or not I'm the only person that keeps a couple (or all) of their handguns in holsters? Like so many of you, I have a drawer full of holsters, but I have moved away from leather holsters and begun to use ballistic nylon instead. I no longer own any blued or stainless steel pistols, but rather have succumbed to the polymer guns that are so popular today. I'm still using a couple of leather belts for the holsters, but I'm now looking at some ballistic nylon gun belts too. Anyway, I'm just curious as to your thoughts on the matter.

I have about a dozen handguns that "live" in various places throughout my home.

For the pistols that live in the safe, they just live quietly in the door pouches. Their holsters live in their respective pistol cases, which I keep in a "gun closet"" in a spare bedroom.

For the ones that live around the house, they are kept in holsters in their respective "accommodations" (drawers, cabinets, bathroom counter, etc.)

For the ones that live with me (EDCs), they live in holsters when on my person or when on my kitchen counter.

When I go to bed, there is always at least one on my nightstand, OUT of its holster, ready to rock...

Last Edited:
I have about a dozen handguns that "live" in various places throughout my home.

For the pistols that live in the safe, they just live quietly in the door pouches. Their holsters live in their respective pistol cases, which I keep in a "gun closet"" in a spare bedroom.

For the ones that live around the house, they are kept in holsters in their respective "accommodations" (drawers, cabinets, bathroom counter, etc.)

For the ones that live with me (EDCs, they live in holsters when on my person or when on my kitchen counter.

When I go to bed, there is always at least one on my nightstand, OUT of its holster, ready to rock...
Thank you for your response. Any thoughts on holster material?

I kind of go two ways depending upon how large the pistol is I'm wearing that day...

Two of my (larger) EDCs live in Kydex OWB holsters.
The third (smaller) one lives in a ballistic nylon (Uncle Mike's #12) A/IWB holster.

I kind of go two ways depending upon how large the pistol is I'm wearing that day...

Two of my (larger) EDCs live in Kydex OWB holsters.
The third (smaller) one lives in a ballistic nylon (Uncle Mike's #12) A/IWB holster.
Interesting. I have one Kydex holster and that one is for my wife's snub nosed .38 special. I've never worn it. A while back, I bought one of those Chinese Shoe Patching, hand operated sewing machines, with the intention of making a few custom holsters and belts. I've got a design (my own) for a wide leather belt with a mildly dropped nylon holster for my Glock 19. If I ever do anything with all the material that I've bought, I'll post it on this site.

I shoot/train a lot for USPSA. I find that the Kydex holster just works better for draw, re-holstering, and retention better than anything else I've tried.
So, as a result of my training, I end up carrying just like I train. That is, OWB in a Kydex holster with a larger pistol (even though SIG says they're both "compact" guns).
I go with the P365 when I have to wear lighter clothes and need more concealment, like in the spring and summer. I always look forward to the fall and winter... :)

I shoot/train a lot for USPSA. I find that the Kydex holster just works better for draw, re-holstering, and retention better than anything else I've tried.
So, as a result of my training, I end up carrying just like I train. That is, OWB in a Kydex holster with a larger pistol (even though SIG says they're both "compact" guns).
I go with the P365 when I have to wear lighter clothes and need more concealment, like in the spring and summer. I always look forward to the fall and winter... :)
I used to shoot competitively with the OPOA (Oregon Peace Officers Assoc.) in police combat matches. I used a Bianci front break holster that was literally soaked with upholstery silicon! I had to be really careful because a quick draw without a good grip on my revolver could mean that I'd throw it halfway to the target!

I have never done that... yet... :D

But I imagine if I do USPSA/IDPA long enough, it may one day obtain... :eek:

In the safe, preferred holster for each is next to the handgun. Surplus holsters in a filing cabinet under the woodshop dust collector. I like the look and feel of leather holsters, but as a practical matter use kydex holsters for OWB, IWB and pocket carry. I think it's easier for the kydex holster makers to offer options for all the various white light/laser accessories on handguns.

I have always preferred leather holsters. Just because they suit my fancy. Kydex is OK, ballistic nylon is better but I always gravitate back to leather. For most of my main shooters they each have 3 holsters in the various materials. The rest I keep in a plastic box under the counter. :rolleyes:

I store most of my handguns in their original boxes stacked in the safe. Ones that I didn't get a box with are in single hard cases or the soft gun rugs. I do keep a couple on top of the stack in their leather holsters as they are my ready service firearms. By that I mean what I conceal carry or my Truck gun. My nightstand gun sits in a drawer on top of an open gun rug. That way if the grand kids come over it's easy to zip up the gun rug and put it in the safe.

Last Edited:
I no longer own any blued or stainless steel pistols, but rather have succumbed to the polymer guns that are so popular today.

I couldn't get past this ^^. :( Sorry, nothing to ad to what's already been said, but if you ever want me to bring up some nice stainless, or blued guns for you to enjoy for awhile I'd be happy to.

I recently switched my storage up. I had all my pistols in their respective holster but it was unorganized and took up too much room.
I bought some of those wire shelf hangers from Cabelas that slide on a shelf and then the rubber wire inserts into the barrel and the pistol just hangs below the shelf. They work really well and organizes everything nicely.
then I just used a smaller tote to storage all my holster.

My EDC stays in the holster but thats it.
and I prefer kydex. I don't care about finishes and keeping these flashy.
Kydex is concealable, comfortable, retains well, and are very versatile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top