JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So i have two questions.

1) What's the difference between a Fatboy Jr and a Colonial 30? They're the same price, but the Fatboy holds a lot more, is that it??
2) @Kruel J The colonial 30 is what i'm looking at, would you mind saying how much it holds? (you selling yours? :D )

So i have two questions.

1) What's the difference between a Fatboy Jr and a Colonial 30? They're the same price, but the Fatboy holds a lot more, is that it??
2) @Kruel J The colonial 30 is what i'm looking at, would you mind saying how much it holds? (you selling yours? :D )

I would have to guess around 25 firearms, depending on how they are fit and handgun to long gun ratio.

Just a guess. Mine is empty. I bought it to look cool. ;)

So i have two questions.

Seems in my research that the colonial series is quite a bit heavier than the fat boy series and is a higher end safe in general.

I think owning a gun safe is a part of a system it goes with insurance, surveillance and not publicizing to your neighbors.Can they break in them yes, but how fast before backup arrive. That's why you have a system with layers. That said I looked at a lot of safes recently and best bang for your dollar is "tracker safes" as long as you don't mind it's not America made and carry both key pad And Dial

Last Edited:
I really like the Liberty safes, and got really close to pullin' the trigger on one (Colonial???), but I went with a close competitor, Dakota.
Wished I woulda got a bigger one, cuz I outgrew it within a year and some.
safe.02.JPG

safe.03.JPG

@Speleogist PS: How did you end up choosing Bentucky over somewhere in the Tri??

I sure hate the youtube videos that show every crook in the country exactly how to quickly defeat an "inferior" safe. I've been told there was a time when crooks were intimidated by safes. I heard a story once about a couple coming home to find their place burglarized. It was apparently a pretty quick smash-and-grab, with not much of value taken. The guy said that they must have been intimidated by the big, heavy safe, because he'd forgotten to lock it. All they had to do was turn the handle, but they didn't even touch it. :)

I don't know how many times I've heard that if it doesn't cost $10k, then it's not a "safe", and won't protect your stuff from anyone. My thoughts are that anything is better than nothing, especially if it's bolted down and not advertised. I think the BS about "If you can't afford a $10k safe, you shouldn't own guns" is propaganda promoted by the high-end safe sellers.

I'm going to speak some heresy that will get me some dirty looks on any gun forum. I probably "need" another, or bigger safe. I'm not going to do it. Instead I have too many guns. There, I said it. Too Many Guns. I need to thin the herd. What's the point, anyhow? He who dies with the most toys, wins? I've been in a time of changing priorities for some time now, and my gun collection is not the focal point of life. I got rid of a lot of ammo in the last couple years, now it's time to thin the herd on guns. If only I can resist buying just one more... :)

Get a Fatboy. It's a little bigger than the Fatboy Jr, though if I recall it was a little closer to 2 Grand when I went shopping. I bought the Jr because I wasn't just so sure the full Fatboy wild fit through my small doors despite measuring. Something stupid always happens. I've grown to capacity an would love to have gotten bigger if I could. I also want to say a Fatboy is about 1200# dry?

I really like the Liberty safes, and got really close to pullin' the trigger on one (Colonial???), but I went with a close competitor, Dakota.
Wished I woulda got a bigger one, cuz I outgrew it within a year and some.
View attachment 698994

View attachment 698995

@Speleogist PS: How did you end up choosing Bentucky over somewhere in the Tri??

I really like the dakota 30. For its price it's got a lot of features and it's on sale with free installation including bolt down. I'll likely get that.

As for bentucky we wanted land (only an acre for now). I heard benton city was alright? My wife visited and said the people are a little trashy but not a big deal, nobody is as trashy as people from Los angeles.

So i have two questions.

Brand and options: The Colonial is a Liberty model, the Fatboy is a stand alone like the National brand. Also Liberty has many more colors and options for it's various models. My brother just ordered a Centurion out of Boise for about $1050 delivered. I think I paid about $950 for my Colonial but that was 15 years ago from the Sportsman's Show in Puyallup.

I don't think we should Safe Shame anyone and watching a video posted by a safe store owner is like going to a Ford dealership and listening to their propaganda about why Ford is > Chevy only to get the opposite from their competitor.

Something to resist theft is what we all want and really it is your budget that decides what steel box you put your items in. I have a larger safe, enough for my family to hide in but any skilled person could get into it. The safes we buy are theft deterrent steel boxes. Just remember to properly secure it to the floor or wall.

No safe is immune from a skilled attack.

I really like the dakota 30. For its price it's got a lot of features and it's on sale with free installation including bolt down. I'll likely get that.

As for bentucky we wanted land (only an acre for now). I heard benton city was alright? My wife visited and said the people are a little trashy but not a big deal, nobody is as trashy as people from Los angeles.
I went with a Dakota 5939 (basically 59"H x 39"W x 24"D) and it weighs 950# empty.
Cost $2,000 delivered and installed in my garage in March 2018.
There's no state sales tax on gun safes in WA. Depending upon what you buy, that'll save ya $100-$200 right there.

Benton City (Bentucky for those that don't live there) is a nice respite from the pretentious clods that populate the Tri. Yes, some of the folks in BC could be called "trashy", and it's called Bentucky for a reason. We say it's because of the predominant redneck population there, but all in all, it's fine. After shooting, make sure you stop in to The Palm for beers and pub grub. It's the best dive bar in a 50-mile radius!
Plus, depending upon where you bought, you're not more than 5 miles from the best outdoor range in the entire Inland Northwest, and that's not just my opinion. Others on this board that have been there have echoed the same sentiment.
Watch out for Deputy Friendly. His late-model Ford Exploder hides all over town and he'll wallop a ticket on your azz for doing 26 mph through town. When you get settled, give me a shout. I'll let you know where all of his hiding spots are for each day of the week! :s0140:

I went with a Dakota 5939 (basically 59"H x 39"W x 24"D) and it weighs 950# empty.
Cost $2,000 delivered and installed in my garage in March 2018.
There's no state sales tax on gun safes in WA. Depending upon what you buy, that'll save ya $100-$200 right there.

Benton City (Bentucky for those that don't live there) is a nice respite from the pretentious clods that populate the Tri. Yes, some of the folks in BC could be called "trashy", and it's called Bentucky for a reason. We say it's because of the predominant redneck population there, but all in all, it's fine. After shooting, make sure you stop in to The Palm for beers and pub grub. It's the best dive bar in a 50-mile radius!
Plus, depending upon where you bought, you're not more than 5 miles from the best outdoor range in the entire Inland Northwest, and that's not just my opinion. Others on this board that have been there have echoed the same sentiment.
Watch out for Deputy Friendly. His late-model Ford Exploder hides all over town and he'll wallop a ticket on your azz for doing 26 mph through town. When you get settled, give me a shout. I'll let you know where all of his hiding spots are for each day of the week! :s0140:

Sweet thank you, I actually like that it's called bentucky as I figured we would fit in better anyways. Where'd you get that deal on that safe?? That's a really good price the ds30 is going to cost me 2 grand

Ranch & Home in Kennewick. They were having a big safe sale and I had bided my time and waited about 6 months for it.
They have a good selection and about 2 or 3 knowledgeable guys in that department.

Looking at my sale paperwork now, R&H calls it a "Dakota 40", so that must mean the width (as mentioned above, mine is 39" W).

Delivery might cost you a bit more in Bentucky. They have a schedule based upon weight and delivery radius.
If your place is more than 20 miles from the store, the store adds another $100 for every 50 miles over 20 miles from the store.
It's about 16 or 17 miles from R&H to "downtown" BC, just FYI.

Ranch & Home in Kennewick. They were having a big safe sale and I had bided my time and waited about 6 months for it.
They have a good selection and about 2 or 3 knowledgeable guys in that department.

Looking at my sale paperwork now, R&H calls it a "Dakota 40", so that must mean the width (as mentioned above, mine is 39" W).

Delivery might cost you a bit more in Bentucky. They have a schedule based upon weight and delivery radius.
If your place is more than 20 miles from the store, the store adds another $100 for every 50 miles over 20 miles from the store.
It's about 16 or 17 miles from R&H to "downtown" BC, just FYI.

Thank you. Just called them, they're nice over there. Said the safes are made by dakota but branded as spartan and they have a 39 and 50. Good pricing and they deliver to benton city. Probably going to go over there and try to get the bolt pattern to pre drill the holes as they dont install

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top