JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
As the token furriner here, as well as being a contributor to the economy at least once a year in our usually expensive vacations to the PNW, may I have the floor for just as long as it takes you all to read what I'm going to write?

'As long as there are Afro-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans and any other kind of hyphenated Americans, the perceived divisions WILL be there. Not until you are ALL simply Americans will you be free of the present hurtful bias and recrimination that blights the communities nationwide.'

tac foley - 'America Now'

It's good Americans are buying guns. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of them are doing so for the exact reasons the 2A exists.
It would be interesting to see a 'poll' of new gun owner to see what the actual % of them are 'doing do for the exact reasons the 2A exists' however I would guess it's a LOT less that what some may think.

I have spoken to a few 'new gun owners' and my impression is they bought on impulse, out of fear, suggestions by others etc. and it was more of a 'last ditch' decision as opposed to a 'healthy' interest in guns, let alone the 2A.

I have a very liberal family member who recently told me he 'Was thinking of buying a Glock'. He is NOT anti gun necessarily, however he is very much a 'member' of the 'common sense' gun control crowd. I have NEVER asked him his opinion on the 2A specifically (and I would not) as it would result in a mostly nonsensical rant of which I have experienced enough of from him already.

Like anything the faster one does something (such as buy a gun impulsively ) especially with no previous experience, and does so for what may be the wrong reasons, could very easily result in the person either stashing it away to be forgotten or sold off almost as quickly as they got it.

My personal opinion is the 2A is NOT a priority with the majority of these people, and maybe not even something they regard, and possibly in some cases do not even know it exists.

While I do not find fault with the analysis above, it absolutely points out how the Us vs Them mentality is a perpetual stumbling block in recruiting new gun ENTHUSIASTS.

I brought years of experience and knowledge to the table when I joined here a few years ago - But I was a total nOOb regarding EDC matters.

It did not faze me to learn that I bought a 'plastic' gun in the wrong caliber according to some - I have thick skin and my own opinions.

But how many times do you think NEW gun owners want to be talked down to until they leave?

Instead of - I bought/own/use my guns for reasons that are older/wiser/better than your's, oh, I don't know...

How about 'Welcome to the Club!"?

I've been told that one of the biggest problems with racial relations in this country is that some people don't see racism where it does exist, while others see it even where it doesn't. Perhaps there are some of both of those types among us.

This is all off topic for this thread, and I don't want to drag it any further off trail. I will say though, that I think that judging us all as a bunch of bigots actually says more about you than it does about the rest of us.
In your first statement, you raised a good point. The likely reason for people claiming to see and not see racism is because of the thing called implicit racism - too many of us (people worldwide) are guilty of it. And then there is the colourful sibling called explicit racism - you will know it when it happens. Unfortunately, this will not go away for a loooong time. I deal with implicit racism in my work more frequently than is wanted. Glad to be the little engine that could - choo choo!! :)

In your first statement, you raised a good point. The likely reason for people claiming to see and not see racism is because of the thing called implicit racism - too many of us (people worldwide) are guilty of it. And then there is the colourful sibling called explicit racism - you will know it when it happens. Unfortunately, this will not go away for a loooong time. I deal with implicit racism in my work more frequently than is wanted. Glad to be the little engine that could - choo choo!! :)

Implicit racism, like many white liberals thinking black people are too stupid to know how to get an ID or use the internet?

Or the implicit racism that we need race quotas because people aren't good enough to get hired by merit?

I've gone through Seattle Public schools in the most "diverse" schools in the state, then attended University of Washington Seattle and Tacoma campus for two separate degrees. I'm really used to hearing these claims of implicit and explicit bias/racism and the whole smorgasbord of what amounts to a lot of BS spewed by the left to keep people of color feeling as a victim, highly emotional, and easily manipulated.

One of my favorites is the claim by the left, that the majority (white people) can't experience racism, only minorities can.

The number 1 thing holding people back in this country has nothing to do with race, but character and that is fatherless homes. The number 2 thing holding people back in this country has nothing to do with race, but also character and that is work ethic. The number 3 thing holding people back also has nothing to do with race, which is education. It is by no coincidence that those three things are also directly traceable to the left. FDR married minority women to welfare (fatherless homes), the welfare continues to cripple people, no work ethic because living comfortable is free (work ethic), and those who are adamantly opposed to school choice, the left, force kids to go to crap schools in their crap neighborhoods rather than let them have the opportunity to choose a school to better fit their educational aspirations. In extreme hypocrisy those liberals also often send their children to private schools (Education).

We could go down the list of things that hold people back in this country and color of skin/racism wouldn't make the top 100, not to mention there is no law today that allows for discrimination based on skin tone and there are severe penalties for doing so.

It was absolutely hilarious going through college and hearing these white women talk about racism and social justice when all their growing up they had only ever gone to private schools where basically everyone was white, I know, because I specifically asked them, they had no experience and just ate up whatever the professor told them about how oppressed people were outside of these bubbles they lived in.

Black conservatives destroy the liberal race baiting mantra, which is why they are so often demonized or outright ignored by the left.

Does racism exist, yes, it will always exist, and it always has existed, but in America today it is so benign and effectively irrelevant compared to so many other factors that people face in life that racism today is effectively only the predominantly fictional boogeyman used by the left and race hustlers to keep their agenda going and the money flowing.

I'll end on this: "Systemic racism" - another big joke, not to mention, liberals have jumped so hard on this bandwagon statement, while they themselves represent the majority of the system, you look at our society today and most institutions are predominately controlled by the left, the very systems they dominate they are claiming are systemically racist....

A simple fact that will likely NEVER change. I believe it's an inherent trait of the human race, as sure as the sun rises in the East.

Maybe, but I bet it would drop to nearly undetectable levels if the race baiters wouldn't constantly stoke it's flames. But I guess they got bills to pay.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads