JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand the point you are making about public image. My response to that is that if the freedom loving gun community feels we have to live and portray an image that is acceptable to the people who want to disarm us - than we have already lost.

The first response to that article you posted should be, "why is that an unsafe display?" That simple rebuttal will point out the irrational fear of guns that these people have. (I write this as an AKP sits next to me on the floor) what is it going to do without human input?

We are all on the Internet , and people go so far as to correct other folks use of the English language when they do not have a command of such themselves.

Everything else is fair game .... Still there is a lot to be said for minding your own business ...

We are all on the Internet , and people go so far as to correct other folks use of the English language when they do not have a command of such themselves.

Everything else is fair game .... Still there is a lot to be said for minding your own business ...

Well that brings up the point of intellectual discussion and whether it is actually possible/probable for it to take place over the internet, which I believe the answer to that is a resounding, "no." Social media being a great example. Also people typically don't have the attention span to read more than a paragraph, so how much intellectual conversation can really take place at that point anyway.

The critique of the OP's initial statement can be looked at multiple ways:

#1 and probably the most common online, is to claim or insinuate that because of grammatical errors, or punctuation, or spelling, the essence of their message is worthless, it doesn't posses the trueness that it hoped for on the mere grounds of it isn't written well.

#2 The critique could also be to the effect, "I'd like to undersrand your statement and the ideas within it, but because of the way you wrote it, and the limitations of your use of the English language (or my own). I can't likely understand the points you are making to the effect you are trying to make them.

If we can first acknowledge that in any discussion/argument, the success of your discussion/argument rests equally on your ability to articulate it, as it does for someone hearing it to understand and comprehend what you have articulated toward the meanings and outcomes you have presented information, and then again on their willingness to change their mind if a well presented and supported argument had been made.

If communication require both participants to participate effectively. Then the critique of the OP does have merit in the sense that, if he wants others to potentially share his viewpoint, then he would need to make sure those who he is sharing it with can sufficiently understand what he has written to the point that they can either respond in agreement, or disagreement. If someone was unclear about what he was meaning, rather than make fun of his use of english, they could have clarified, but again, this is the internet...

At this point I believe OP has clarified enough that it is quite clear. In his opinion, gun owners should be more aware/compliant in their public image and displays. He didn't approve of the display made by the Congressman. As with all opinions, he has his and others have theirs. Where his opinion I believe loses merit is that it presupposes that the freedom loving gun owning community benefits in any way by placating the other side. The inherent flaw in that viewpoint is that we can't placate a group that wants total disarmament with anything other than total disarmament, and the attempt to do so in anyway is death by a thousand cuts.

Everyone should be free to decide what's "safe" for their own household. There are alot of kids that are alive today because they defended themselves with firearms.

I was raised in a home where we had ready access to firearms , loaded firearms I might add. I think the failing today lies in the lack of parenting and again too many Karen's who believe it takes a village to raise a child.

My question is why is this even a thing? Guns are just tools or even more simply inadament objects. If this was a display of Franklin Mint Elvis Plates it wouldn't be an issue. Any of us can walk into a gun store and be surrounded by guns, big ones, little ones, black ones and even pink ones. We as gun owners are allowing ourselves to be shamed into Kow-towing. I will not comply, yield or negotiate my rights away. I am after all a three fer and that is a Christian white man with guns. I don't hide any of that from anyone.

Where his opinion I believe loses merit is that it presupposes that the freedom loving gun owning community benefits in any way by placating the other side. The inherent flaw in that viewpoint is that we can't placate a group that wants total disarmament with anything other than total disarmament, and the attempt to do so in anyway is death by a thousand cuts.

This is important.
As much as I suggest communication and meaningful conversation with others....

The words of Strother Martin :
What we've got here is failure to communicate . Some men you just can't reach."
Are something to consider.

With some folks no answer you give them will satisfy.
Or , you are expected to give up something and get nothing in return.

Speaking only for myself....
Since many folks who are anti gun , are like the above , I am reluctant to engage with them on any level.
In any event...I know that I am tried and frustrated with being painted into a corner , by giving up a little , by little , ban , by ban , restriction by restriction , any more of my firearm freedoms.
Andy

I only have one thing to say to anyone whom the sight of my guns or Ms. Boebert's may offend, a pearl of Old Master Sarge Wisdom from my grandfather:

"You're more fortunate than I am, you can kiss my a** and I can't."

Generally I would NOT recommend such displays for OPSEC/PERSEC reasons, but if you ALREADY have a bullseye on your back anyway as she has ever since she punked Bleato O'Sheepsuit, there's little to lose and potentially even some gain in making clear to those who would harm you and yours that they attempt such harm at their own peril.

This is important.
As much as I suggest communication and meaningful conversation with others....

The words of Strother Martin :
What we've got here is failure to communicate . Some men you just can't reach."
Are something to consider.

With some folks no answer you give them will satisfy.
Or , you are expected to give up something and get nothing in return.

Speaking only for myself....
Since many folks who are anti gun , are like the above , I am reluctant to engage with them on any level.
In any event...I know that I am tried and frustrated with being painted into a corner , by giving up a little , by little , ban , by ban , restriction by restriction , any more of my firearm freedoms.
Andy

I don't mind discussing things with people on the gun/freedom topic who I perceive have beliefs in opposition of my own, I do try to merely introduce an idea as a seed that possibly will grow upon further reflection, because people are generally unwilling to undo years of ideological conclusions based on one conversation alone. I've had really good success in this way with the healthcare debate on whether it is a "right" or a service.

The critique of the OP's initial statement can be looked at multiple ways:

#1 and probably the most common online, is to claim or insinuate that because of grammatical errors, or punctuation, or spelling, the essence of their message is worthless, it doesn't posses the trueness that it hoped for on the mere grounds of it isn't written well.

#2 The critique could also be to the effect, "I'd like to undersrand your statement and the ideas within it, but because of the way you wrote it, and the limitations of your use of the English language (or my own). I can't likely understand the points you are making to the effect you are trying to make them.
I went w/ #3

"You look like a troll, so I'm going to make a few topical comments but I'm not going to bend over backwards to hide my irritation regarding the lack of effort that seems to have gone into your troll-esque communication."

I went w/ #3

"You look like a troll, so I'm going to make a few topical comments but I'm not going to bend over backwards to hide my irritation regarding the lack of effort that seems to have gone into your troll-esque communication."

That works too! And I also would tend to perceive a lot of what was shared to have that characteristic.

Maybe the best method of responding to these types of inquiries is just 1 short sentence that puts the question back to the OP:

"Why is what they are doing a problem?"

And other members seeing the topic and leaving it without comment except for that first one until OP has responded, and then only given 1 response again

Why is what they are doing a problem?

and what that would do would force the OP to maintain the life of the explanations or the thread would die because there would be no others bouncing off each other and responding to comments.

It just depends on what we want, a lot of dialog, or reducing potential troll threads, seemingly we get one or the other.

I have to admit, when I see a couple goobers all tacticool'd up packing their favorite AR-47 rifles into a suburban Carl's Jr for the obvious purpose of stirring up sh*t, I generally do an eyeroll. Then a shrug. They can claim what they want, it's a safe bet they're drama queens looking for drama and attention wh*res out wh*ring. That's all it is. Then, often, a bystander will call 911 and we get yet another dodotube video of people behaving badly in some way.

What should happen is that even when queens dig for drama, the police dispatcher should give the caller a good solid thought provoking quizzing along the lines of "yes miss, and what crime are you reporting?" repeated until either the caller grows a clue, or maybe 3 minutes have been spent, followed by a low priority call to go out and assist some citizens with their fear management skills.

Maybe go have a McCoffee until the "disturbance" leaves the building. Make it an educational non-event and it won't happen so much.

As for this OP thing; she's a rep in her own home - get off her lawn.

I have to admit, when I see a couple goobers all tacticool'd up packing their favorite AR-47 rifles into a suburban Carl's Jr for the obvious purpose of stirring up sh*t, I generally do an eyeroll. Then a shrug. They can claim what they want, it's a safe bet they're drama queens looking for drama and attention wh*res out wh*ring. That's all it is. Then, often, a bystander will call 911 and we get yet another dodotube video of people behaving badly in some way.

What should happen is that even when queens dig for drama, the police dispatcher should give the caller a good solid thought provoking quizzing along the lines of "yes miss, and what crime are you reporting?" repeated until either the caller grows a clue, or maybe 3 minutes have been spent, followed by a low priority call to go out and assist some citizens with their fear management skills.

Maybe go have a McCoffee until the "disturbance" leaves the building. Make it an educational non-event and it won't happen so much.

As for this OP thing; she's a rep in her own home - get off her lawn.

Yes - I don't currently find a need or desire to sling an AR to get my Subway, primarily out of convenience than anything else, but if someone else wants to do that, as long as they maintain the rules of firearm safety, we wouldn't have a problem, even if I thought they were merely attention seeking and no different in that way than a whore who wore a scantily clad outfit.

Yes - I don't currently find a need or desire to sling an AR to get my Subway, primarily out of convenience than anything else, but if someone else wants to do that, as long as they maintain the rules of firearm safety, we wouldn't have a problem, even if I thought they were merely attention seeking and no different in that way than a whore who wore a scantily clad outfit.
Much more concise than mine - I like it. Although at least the hooker has a practical purpose to her advertisement.

Back when I used to hunt in Central Oregon it was pretty common to walk into a store or cafe before or after and have a number of fellas open carrying (usually some sort of revolver) while picking up a couple dozen eggs, some bacon, and a pound of Folgers or MJB for camp consumption later. It was obvious who they were, why they were packling, and what their business was. No one raised an eyebrow.

But they were not stuffed into a 2 sizes too small SWAT outfit including body armor and knee pads.

I admit, the kneepads make me laugh a little in the tacticool context.

No way I was going to read all the blathering in this ridiculous thread. I will opt out of notifications so I don't gat so much clutter in my alerts.

Someone said, several times, that majority rules. I think in regard to (paraphase) "If we do stupid things like showing off firearms so people that are horrified by just the sight of gun can see them then we should expect the majority to vote in extremely restrictive gun laws"

Our country doesn't work that way. "Mob Rule" is wrong. What if giving the right to vote to Black Americans had been put up to a vote of the people way back in the mid 1860s? Problem is, the dims have a habit NOW of putting natural rights (Wa I 1639) up to a vote of the people.

Much more concise than mine - I like it. Although at least the hooker has a practical purpose to her advertisement.

Back when I used to hunt in Central Oregon it was pretty common to walk into a store or cafe before or after and have a number of fellas open carrying (usually some sort of revolver) while picking up a couple dozen eggs, some bacon, and a pound of Folgers or MJB for camp consumption later. It was obvious who they were, why they were packling, and what their business was. No one raised an eyebrow.

But they were not stuffed into a 2 sizes too small SWAT outfit including body armor and knee pads.

I admit, the kneepads make me laugh a little in the tacticool context.
When young our local grocery store had a Guns and Ammo area. Rifles, shoties, pistols and their feed all available at the grocery store. High school parking lot was loaded with pickups with loaded back window racks.

Now people are telling us we can't appear in a video with guns displayed in the back ground?

Wake the F up.

I personally don't don't display stickers on my vehicles, wear 2A, grunt style, etc. clothing, or open carry simply to maintain a low profile in society but you bet your A$$ I have no problem telling people what I believe in or standing up for our God given rights. It's not at all that I am ashamed or believe it to be taboo. But on a platform that you can reach millions why not take advantage of it? Props to her. Politicians are more worried about making money and keeping/advancing their careers that most won't take a stand and walk against the main stream media. I like what I see in her.
I sold some ammo to a member recently, and met at a local coffee shop. Had no idea what the guy was driving, although I had apprised him of what we were in. Up pulls a white Tacoma with American flag punisher skulls on it, and I immediately knew that was my guy. I got out and he says something along the line of me being a good guesser.

When young our local grocery store had a Guns and Ammo area. Rifles, shoties, pistols and their feed all available at the grocery store. High school parking lot was loaded with pickups with loaded back window racks.
I have a Marlin 30-30 in my safe that's branded "Western Auto", as a matter of fact.

Wards used to have a gun section. Back when we still had Wards stores ;)

I sold some ammo to a member recently, and met at a local coffee shop. Had no idea what the guy was driving, although I had apprised him of what we were in. Up pulls a white Tacoma with American flag punisher skulls on it, and I immediately knew that was my guy. I got out and he says something along the line of me being a good guesser.
I see it all the time and just shake my head. Normally the guy jumps out, pistol on his hip in some Blackhawk serpa holster, wearing some Oakley glasses, flat bill hat, and some form of American flag/cross rifle t shirt. To each their own but in my personal opinion you look like a F-cking soup sandwich. All the punisher skulls, oregunian decals, gun brands, decals etc on a lifted truck don't really command much respect either. Once again it's those people that are the liberal "look at me" version of the gun community. I keep my distance and don't really associate. They can absorb all the attention and I will continue to go unnoticed.

This.

It's the mirror image of the pride parade folk. They ALSO have a right to ... whatever it is they think they are doing. Just don't get any of it on me.
I guess some people never got enough attention as a child and they are trying to make up lost time. It happens on both sides of the playing field and just as often.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top