JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What you are suggesting is against the law. In other words you are suggesting that we become criminals. What makes you think that you would not be prosecuted, even if your use of force was undisputedly justified and in the eyes of some you were a hero? I do not have a problem ignoring signs that lack a legal enforcement provision. But schools and post offices are different.
I'm not condoning it.... however.... some people may be of the mind that if and fact it becomes necessary and saves either their own life, their loved ones or another.... damn the legal repercussions. It's worth the cost.

Just sayin... alive and in jail beats your loved one 6' under.

I'm not condoning it.... however.... some people may be of the mind that if and fact it becomes necessary and saves either their own life, their loved ones or another.... damn the legal repercussions. It's worth the cost.

Just sayin... alive and in jail beats your loved one 6' under.
You are absolutely correct that alive and in jail beats your loved one 6' under. But your if is a big if.

Schools are State law, post office is federal law.
Schools fall under federal law, but the states can issue exemptions to it.

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

But I'll grant you that the letter of this law is stupendously idiotic. For instance, if I have a firearm and drive within 1,000 feet of a school, I have violated this law. That's right... Doesn't matter if I have a CHL or not. If I possess a firearm, and am on non-private (read: public) property within 1,000 feet of a school, then that's a violation. I could be walking my dog two blocks over from the school or driving down a street three blocks over from a school (a typical city block is 330 feet between street centerlines - in other words, 16 blocks/mile), it doesn't legally matter. Pretty stoo-pit law, huh?

Last Edited:
No idea, however such was probably less likely at Costco. Given how they sell, bulk vs small packages.

Small items are normally sold via a ticket system, and then attained at sale. IIRC. I remember them doing such with memory cards, when memory cards were quite pricey. On the shelf to put in your cart were just cardboard with the description & barcode.

Things like pricey meat cuts & such at Costco are larger than those sold in normal grocery stores. Always have been. So would be more challenging to steal as well.
Oh, I agree. Wifey has been in the grocery biz for the better part of 36 years. I had on older gal I worked for for 20 something years. In my area. She was one of these feisty old gals. Nice as could be, but don't cross her types. She and her sister were regulars at the wife's Albertsons. One day Wifey was looking through the mug-shot book of shop lifters they'd had. And saw these two gals mug shots. My gal was stealing a bottle of wine. They found her/them with empty Albertson's plastic grocery bag in their purses. The presumption being they had probably been filching stuff for some time. Neither of these two had any money issues. They were both extremely giving people. Ya' just never know.

Edit: Telling wifey about this post and she corrected me. There was another one of the old gals I worked for who's picture she saw in the book. Sweetest, nicest gal you'd ever meet. The sisters above were never in the book, Wifey had seen under cover security take the two of them into the office, and she followed and found out what happened. That was two of my accounts busted for shop lifting!

Last Edited:
Schools fall under federal law, but the states can issue exemptions to it.

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

But I'll grant you that the letter of this law is stupendously idiotic. For instance, if I have a firearm and drive within 1,000 feet of a school, I have violated this law. That's right... Doesn't matter if I have a CHL or not. If I possess a firearm, and am on non-private (read: public) property within 1,000 feet of a school, then that's a violation. I could be walking my dog two blocks over from the school or driving down a street three blocks over from a school (a typical city block is 330 feet between street centerlines - in other words, 16 blocks/mile), it doesn't legally matter. Pretty stoo-pit law, huh?
Yes, it does make a difference if you have a CHL. See 18 USC 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).
"(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;" This is why I have a Washington CPL despite the fact that Washignon recognizes my Idaho and Utah permits.

Last Edited:
Yes, it does make a difference it you have a CHL. See 18 USC 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).
"(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;" This is why I have a Washington CPL despite the fact that Washignon recognizes my Idaho and Utah permits.
So does that mean I, as a CHL holder in Washington, can legally and lawfully (as in free of the threat of prosecution under the GFSZA) enter a school zone/GFZ with a firearm? I was not under the impression that a CHL exempted the Average Joe from the GFSZA's heinous restrictions upon my 2A rights. I'll need to check up on that. Thanks for pointing that out...

So does that mean I, as a CHL holder in Washington, can legally and lawfully (as in free of the threat of prosecution under the GFSZA) enter a school zone/GFZ with a firearm? I was not under the impression that a CHL exempted the Average Joe from the GFSZA's heinous restrictions upon my 2A rights. I'll need to check up on that. Thanks for pointing that out...
Yes, as far as federal law is concerned. Washington law still prohibits firearms on school grounds. If you get an Idaho and an Oregon permit you would be able to carry in schools zones in Idaho and Oregon.

Owned by Walmart... I would imagine they shifted their policies the same as walmart stores a few years back... "asking" customers not to open carry, but CC is fine, AFAIK.
Every time I go to Wal-Mart seems they're going more and more Disney on us. Went into the Ontario, Oregon Wal-Mart this summer and they said they're no longer selling ammo simply because they're in Oregon. Worst "one size fits all" policy I've ever seen, to screw Ontario with Portland's BS. I was so disgusted I haven't been in a Wal-Mart since, regardless which state.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews