JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, I'm going to break the trend. But first, I want to say that I do own an AR.

I love ARs, but there is one advantage to an SKS: No magazine. I can carry the rifle and 300 rounds on stripper clips that can be loaded quickly without the weight of magazines. With some minor modifications (composite stock, tuning the trigger, and adding a peep sight) it can be a reliable and accurate rifle. Plus, the ammo is cheap and available.

I know the SKS is no where near the quality of FNs, ARs, FALs, etc, but the magazine advantage is something to consider.

Andy

But the SKS itself is a MUCH heavier rifle (almost 3lbs iirc) than an AR-15. I think that more than makes up for the weight of a few detachable magazines.

But the SKS itself is a MUCH heavier rifle (almost 3lbs iirc) than an AR-15. I think that more than makes up for the weight of a few detachable magazines.

True, but you can really get low to the dirt with and SKS and keep shooting!

Regarding the weight, would swapping out the wood furniture bring the weight down?

-d

Last Edited:
Pin point accuracy would be top on my list. If you can't hit it you can't kill it. Next comes high rate of fire. You will need to stay hidden and only engage as a last resort. However if you have to fight your way out you'll need to end it quickly. You will need to hunt game as well. Weight of ammo now becomes a factor as well as the gun its self. There's only one weapon that fills all these rolls and that's the AR 15 in 223 cal. In the M4 version with iron sights you can engage targets at 400+ yards. If you have to fight at close quarters it will flat out get the job done. I can pack 700 rounds and still add a 24" bull barrel complete upper with scope in my pack frame. Once you are in camp and need to hunt game switch to the bull barrel and 200 yard head shots are a snap.

If I had to choose 1, right now it would be my Mini 14. I don't have an AR right now, and only started thinking about the SHTF scenario. I am no conspiracy theorist or Zombie apocalypse type thinker typically, but th current state of affairs and economic and political times is making me think seriously...
I am starting to stock up on 223, 12G, .45, .22 and 9MM just so I have a choice. I truly don't think our situation will be natural disaster related, but more a semi quick accent into the situation like political collapse with a day to load before the panic sets in.

I recently got my Kimber Daewoo back from a friend I sold it to. I'll have to take it for a grab and go gun because I have tons of ammo and it's not that hard to carry. I'm in the country on a semi secluded 20 acres and hundreds of acres of woods behind me. I'm staying if I can so it's a matter of what guns I would part with last. My AKs and SKSs are trading stock. I'll keep the Saiga 308 and 10-22 mag for sure.

I carry a 1911, so I take that as a given (like a majority of the group). If I add a long gun it would be a toss up. Shotgun ammo is widely available everywhere you go. It is versatile and easy to use. It doesn't have the range of say my AK (my second choice) or my mini-14, but it does provide a lot of options, its simple and easy to clean/maintain.

True, but you can really get low to the dirt with and SKS and keep shooting!

that's what these are for :)

Regarding the weight, would swapping out the wood furniture bring the weight down?

-d
A little, but not by much. Don't get me wrong, the SKS is an excellent rifle it is just a bit out-dated compared to more modern designs. If money is tight, go for it, it's WAY better than no gun at all.

Besides, putting a polymer stock on an SKS makes it all ugly and bubba-lookin'. :s0002: Personally, I like my guns to look good as well as function. I'm a little vain about it.:p

Well, for the time being, a Bersa .380. It was the only one out of my collection (43 or so) that I did not put into storage when I moved up here last month.
But, if this was a perfect world, my M1 carbine. I have more rounds for it, more magazines for it and it is fairly light.
But then I would have to also think about my MAS 49-53 in .308. Little heavier, only 10 round mags but I shoot it pretty well.

My 1911A1 is always with me....so I'd go for my Ruger M77 .270 it has a 2-9 zoom scope. Range and accuracy will count in the high desert, which is where I'll be. I also have been loading ammo for it for years and have a nice supply.

I will break off here. As many have said I have lots of guns including AR's, M1A's, AK's, SKS's ect.

My choice if I could only choose one gun for a SHTF situation other then full out street warfare would be my suppressed 10/22.

The 10/22 is light weight and compact. You can carry 1000 rds of ammo for every 100 rds of anything else. With the silencer and SS ammo it is very quiet. With 25rd mags it makes for a decent defensive gun.

A year ago, when SHTF instead of grab a gun I dropped everything and pick up my BOB, it had everything in it including small handgun and a AR17 with plenty ammos.

Now with a new born... I will stay in my house defend till the house is gone. Then pray!!!

My M1 carbine along with my bag full of ammo and mags (I would prob sneak in my Ruger and Smith 9mms) My M1 is Dependable, Accurate and easy to pack, a good all around, proven SHTF performer.

I will break off here. As many have said I have lots of guns including AR's, M1A's, AK's, SKS's ect.

My choice if I could only choose one gun for a SHTF situation other then full out street warfare would be my suppressed 10/22.

The 10/22 is light weight and compact. You can carry 1000 rds of ammo for every 100 rds of anything else. With the silencer and SS ammo it is very quiet. With 25rd mags it makes for a decent defensive gun.

I don't really see myself needing 1000 rounds of ammo for any situation I could get in so I'd prefer the greater effectiveness of 5.56. Quiet is cool though, if I was going for that I'd probably get a suppressed .45ACP AR-15.

My M1 carbine along with my bag full of ammo and mags (I would prob sneak in my Ruger and Smith 9mms) My M1 is Dependable, Accurate and easy to pack, a good all around, proven SHTF performer.

<3 M1 carbine. I want one.

I don't really see myself needing 1000 rounds of ammo for any situation I could get in so I'd prefer the greater effectiveness of 5.56. Quiet is cool though, if I was going for that I'd probably get a suppressed .45ACP AR-15.

That is why everyone preps different. What you are prepimg for must not be the same as I am. I am figuring I will have enough ammo to last a long time, practice, and train others if needed.

I do carry a Mk14 Mod 0 along with my CCW most places as part of my get home kit. But for long term survival 10/22 wins hands down.

If you want a quiet accurate AR .300 Whisper is the way to go. Downside is you have to load your own (but that is changing).

This is an interesting thread for sure. I have an SKS Yugo for each family member, but only 5,000 rounds and 400 stripper clips (need a few more spare parts too). None of us are ever without our 9mm Keltecs (plus 9mm ammo, spare parts and more mags stored).

We also have food, water, and supplies for 6 people for 13 months (so far). We live in a rural area and will stay right here. Our particular topography does not give one much more than 200 yards of clear sight, so I think we are okay. We shoot enough to remain good shots, and we know the lay of this particular area extremely well. I'm sure it is possible for some skilled unit to take us, I am also sure it would cost them dearly.

I like our 10/22 rifles, and would hate to lose the use of them. They are mighty handy around here and they are much quieter. However, the SKSs are always at the ready (we have a cougar around here).

I have a AR but Im neck deep into learning how to KEEP it reliable, so TODAY I would grap my 10/22 with the folding stock and lots of mags it would work fine. When I get my AR figured out thats what I would take.

Hand-Held_Gatling-Gun,+or+mini+(USMC).JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads