JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep last year when the ICE storm hit here in Silverton 10 min after the power poles down the street snapped and we lost power I was at NAPA buying a 500 watt inverter. Came home and hooked up to the Series 31 Battery I had just bought for my Willys Jeep 950CCA We then went to charging that battery and running the inverter with the pickup. Only thing we ran was the pellet stove. Everything in the Freezer was fine being its out in the unheated laundry and we only opened it once in the 72 hours we were without power. The fridge stuff went into Ice chests and moved to the laundry room. House stayed about 50 degrees and we lost no food. Cooked on the Colemen using three 1lb bottles I had in the stash.

I have since bought a 2000 watt inverter style generator. And kitted it out for a 3 day outage.

Yep, small suitcase generator kept my family warm and our food cold for a week with the pellet stove. I ordered a bigger generator that will run our well, should be here Tuesday. Plus, be sure to have plenty of clear gas on hand. We have 20 gallons in jugs and 40 more gallons in the boat for prolonged outages (great way to store fuel-fill the boat before winter).

I ran my pellet stove for several hours once with an old tube type inverter I got out of a dumpster and my boat batteries. :D

Then I broke down and bought a 5,000 gen set. and a distribution panel. :s0023:

Drives the neighbor crazy... :s0093:

IMO, for me at least, a wood stove has several advantages over a pellet stove:

1) requires no electricity

2) fuel is plentiful and replenishable from my land and surrounding land - if SHTF and I was unable to get to fuel supplies, I could still stay plenty warm inside the house, for years, just on the wood that grows on my land. Indeed, I have so much wood, that much of it rots before I can use it.

I still need a genset, for refrigeration and water, but if I start a fire in the morning, get the house up into the 60s during the day, the house will still be in the mid 50s in the morning.

The main downside is the amount of work necessary to collect and process the firewood.

Yep, small suitcase generator kept my family warm and our food cold for a week with the pellet stove. I ordered a bigger generator that will run our well, should be here Tuesday. Plus, be sure to have plenty of clear gas on hand. We have 20 gallons in jugs and 40 more gallons in the boat for prolonged outages (great way to store fuel-fill the boat before winter).
I make sure the motorhome is full when I park it for the winter. It's an 80 gallon stash.

We have a propane fireplace that is our main heat source, alongside some electric oil heaters.

When the power goes out, we have zero issues.

We also have the travel trailer to stay in as a backup should it get really squirrely.

We also have the travel trailer to stay in as a backup should it get really squirrely.
Things were "squirrely" here last year. Power was out for 9 days. We had no problem moving into the motorhome and were extremely thankful for it. I ran power from it to the fridge in the house and the freezer in the shop. :s0155:

If you want to go the solar route, this is the minimum system that I would recommend

71bX7T-ME0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BLUETTI EB70S 716Wh/800W Portable Power Station with PV120 120W Foldable Solar Panel Included, LiFePO4 Battery Pack w/ 4 AC Outlets, Solar Generator for Outdoor Camping Home Vanlife Off Grid Emergency

2) fuel is plentiful and replenishable from my land and surrounding land - if SHTF and I was unable to get to fuel supplies, I could still stay plenty warm inside the house, for years, just on the wood that grows on my land. Indeed, I have so much wood, that much of it rots before I can use it.

I still need a genset, for refrigeration and water, but if I start a fire in the morning, get the house up into the 60s during the day, the house will still be in the mid 50s in the morning.

The main downside is the amount of work necessary to collect and process the firewood.
I get your point about not needing electricity for a wood stove but if you have a busy life schedule a pellet stove is far superior. No stacking or wood cutting, just grab a bag once a day and you're good. No constant trips to the wood pile, etc. to each their own though. Really can't beat the great heat standing in front of a wood stove though.

The only downside to my pellet stove was the space 1 ton of pellets (42 bags) took up in my garage. I started to maintain a stash when one spring I got low and the local stores informed me they didn't have any in stock, as "Pellets were a seasonal item". :mad:

The only downside to my pellet stove was the space 1 ton of pellets (42 bags) took up in my garage. I started to maintain a stash when one spring I got low and the local stores informed me they didn't have any in stock, as "Pellets were a seasonal item". :mad:
Very true on space but we bring a weeks worth form the shop to the garage with the quad, or at least the kiddos get to. We always stock up on them before winter as you never know what it'll bring.

I get your point about not needing electricity for a wood stove but if you have a busy life schedule a pellet stove is far superior. No stacking or wood cutting, just grab a bag once a day and you're good. No constant trips to the wood pile, etc. to each their own though. Really can't beat the great heat standing in front of a wood stove though.
Totally agree.

Before I retired I mostly used my furnace except on weekends. Much more convenient to just get up in the AM and push a button, then again when I left for work, then when I came home. Each time I only ran the furnace for an hour or two.

But now I am retired, and even if I worked, I would work from home. So starting the fire and restocking it are not a big deal. It takes me about a day to cut/split/move/stack about a week's worth of wood, and that includes taking very frequents long breaks. Then for a few days I am sore - but it is decent exercise.

There is one pellet stove that does not need electricity to run, but requires a blow torch to start it.

We started out with a wood stove. But after 4 years of hustling wood to keep it going when living on a cramped 57.5' x 105' city lot. I made the choice to switch to a pellet stove. We average 2.25 to 2.5 tons of pellets to heat the house a year. Which shows up on a truck and for a $50 delivery fee they stack it in my carport. I move about half into a storage bin in the laundry home. The rest gets used up from the carport. No bugs no splitting wood no feeding the stove but once a day. Etc.

Last Edited:
also, with the Blessed Fire Wood, no gym fees, no running to put on your gym togs before heading to the 'splitting & step machine' , no need to take extra exercise jogging sessions, no worry about getting a paper cut on the cuticles when breaking a new bagOpellets open... And each stick of fire wood is just like another little bundle of sunshine....
We've been running a wood stove since Prez. Nixon. Now long retired, it's really decent exercise year round.

We started out with a wood stove. But after 4 years of hustling wood to keep it going when living on a cramped 57.5' x 105' city lot. I made the choice to switch to a pellet stove. We average 2.25 to 2.5 tons of pellets to heat the house a year. Which shows up on a truck and for a $50 delivery fee they stack it in my carport. I move about half into a storage bin in the laundry home. The rest gets used up for the carport. No bugs no splitting wood no feeding the stove but once a day. Etc.
All true, but I think more along the lines of self-reliance, and having a self-replenishing source of heating fuel is a benefit of a woodstove over a pellet stove - assuming that you have the acreage of trees to support it. Otherwise, a person could just have a big tank of propane or diesel as heating fuel, or a large genset running on either fuel and powering a heat pump.

All true, but I think more along the lines of self-reliance, and having a self-replenishing source of heating fuel is a benefit of a woodstove over a pellet stove
Unless your pellet stove is in a location originally set up for a wood fireplace, such as ours. If the pellet stove goes down, simpliy remove it and the smaller chimney insert and light a fire. Plenty of trees on our land, always have a burn pile at the ready. I realize not all situations are the same but we really thought out our recent purchase.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top