JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A lesser hardship practice run. We just got through a power outage of 90 hours. We are soft, weak and addicted to electric power. In our county, we were blessed with the focal point of a 50 mph wind storm barreling down the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I've got weeks work of outside work as a result.

We have equipment for power outages, but our house doesn't include the switch panel for a generator. So I rig cords running around, tripping hazards which we were somehow able to avoid. I have emergency fuel stashed away, aux. lights. etc. Thankfully I burn wood for extra heat when needed, and that was a major plus considering the overnight temperatures went into the 30's a couple of nights. There is a propane stove for heating water and some cooking.

We live on wooded property, I've taken as much care as possible to keep stuff from falling on our house. But our property is mostly wooded, hundreds of trees including Big Leaf Maple up to 165 years old. Those old maples are craggy, lightning struck over the years, lots of newer wood straight up. Out in the north end of the property, I had some serious wind falls. There are a couple of 40 foot logs laying side by side, and another that would be well over 40 feet exept that impact on the ground broke it in three lengths. All of these in turn had 20 plus feet of lesser brush growing from the tops, plus there were many smaller wind falls, plus lots of smaller, standing dead stuff that was blown down. Of course when those tree tops break off, they tear off all sorts of lower stuff that comes down with them.

Big maple branches that break off go heavy, butt-end first and land on the ground like arrows. Big arrows. One such bored into the ground so deep it pierced a four inch septic drain line that connects my upper to my lower drainfields. It broke that septic line like an eggshell, clear through one side and out the other. Now I've got a job of work digging that all out and splicing it back together. Fortunately, the upper drainfield has taken all the load over the years and has never flowed into the lower field, so the break isn't in a place that is active use. Strangely enough, about 25 years ago, I had the same experience in nearly the same exact place, maybe six or so inches off, but the result was the same. I think this time around, I will place a bull's eye target on top.

So far, I've got all the lesser branches stripped off the big logs, then cut down so they will go through my chipper / shredder. It's a lot of work. I divide the work up into zones, and work them one at a time. I sort out into piles what gets chipped, what is candidate for burning in the wood stove, and what is dead / rotten junk too big for the chipper. Right now I'm concentrating in chipping. I will circle back around later and cut up what is kept to burn. The big logs I will cut up last. It's nice to have room to work on the logs without a bunch of brush underfoot.

We've got the electric power back on now, it's great to be living with the massive convenience that electricity provides in life. When my dad was growing up on the farm, they lived in a big, three story farmhouse that my grandfather rented from an uncle. We're talking 1920's. The house had it's own DC electrical system powered by a massive set of wet cell batteries in the basement. This was for lighting, they didn't have all the powered stuff we now enjoy. When the Depression came along, the batteries started going bad and there was no money for replacement. So they did without electricity. Which came along in alternating current form later in the 1930's when the Rural Electrification Act was put into effect under FDR. But they went for many years in between those two systems without power.

Mother nature's awesome, and glad you are handling the clean up of her tantrums.
I have a Norway maple in my yard that drops limbs like that, but my ground is hard and the limbs usually shatter somewhat when they strike.

Most all of us get very used to "comfort". When I was young camping and "roughing it" was fun. I no longer think of it as much fun at home. When I was a kid I loved it when power went out, fun getting a fire going, candles, kerosene lanterns Colman stove and all. Now? It s a PITA. Thankfully where we live its seldom and when it happens tends to be hours not days or weeks. Now that I have one Genset that could run even the stove, water heater, dryer, hot water (not all at same time) I have toyed with a transfer switch. For now next time it goes it will be cords strung around as needed. Did buy 2 of the portable battery boxes that have gotten amazingly powerful and small for what they do. Using one as a UPS for camera system. Other is just a spare to keep some lights on while I string the damn cords and fire up the gensets. I like COMFORT. :s0140:

Yeah, I live a bit further N. of you gmerkt and we lost power last Friday at 9PM and just got it back on at 6PM yesterday. While it is an inconvenience, my little honda 2000 genny gets us by. It burns about a gallon every 8hrs while powering our lights and outlets and a refrigerator and 3 freezers. We have a natural gas free standing heating stove that requires no power to run as well as a ng stove/oven so it is pretty much business as usual. I was just glad no trees hit the house as I just got the roof replaced where one hit last fall. I gave my little honda genny some love today after toiling 5 days straight. Changed the oil and cleaned the air filter, as well as installing a new plug. I even put together a 6 gallon boat tank setup to feed it next time as the onboard honda tank is only 1 gallon. I filled the boat tank and another 6 gallon jug with fresh non ethanol and I am ready for the next storm should we lose power. A nice hot shower was sure was nice this AM!

I have a power outage right now. Been a little windy so I suppose a tree or limb fell onto a power line.

For some reason my battery backed up lights did not come on and won't work via the light switch, even though they are charged.

Also, my UPS went from 100% to almost 0% in about 15 minutes even though it was fully charged and the only thing it is powering is a 30-50 watt cell modem/router which should last for many hours. I guess I need to get a new UPS.

Hope you'll get it all sorted out soon while its still daylight.
I am used to this.

Looking at the outage map and it appears there are a few hundred people in WA county without power - maybe a dozen outages.

I am guessing it won't take but a few hours for them to fix it - that is usually the case when the outages are not very numerous.

Either way, I am fine. I have a woodstove to keep me warm.

ETA: PGE says it will be fixed by 2:30 PM

1699727179664.png

1699727257127.png

1699727159078.png

1699727513003.png

1699727618558.png

Aloha, Mark

I am used to this.

Looking at the outage map and it appears there are a few hundred people in WA county without power - maybe a dozen outages.

I am guessing it won't take but a few hours for them to fix it - that is usually the case when the outages are not very numerous.

Either way, I am fine. I have a woodstove to keep me warm.

ETA: PGE says it will be fixed by 2:30 PM
Very good idea to keep you warm.
That's what I need to do too in case of emergency. I began to realize that I need to tap into our furnace in case of power outage. I want to connect it the right way. Last year I bought a 4,450W/3,550W Dual-Fuel Portable Generator (RV-Ready) for emergency. According generator power consumption, 8 gallon gasoline storage, 2 large LPG, it can run 4.5 days. I have a 30 amp 25 foot "flat cord" to run both refrigerator and freezer. Another 15 amp 25 ft cord for lights and minimal accs. The only thing that is missing here is I want to add a generator transfer switch box so I can run fire up the heater since its gas. I think I have enough generator power to run conservatively with the heater. So far I tried this and runs very smooth especially the size of the generator motor in its category is 'fuelly' efficient. Anyways if you guys know an electrician that can install that box, that would be great. I'm in Yamhill county.

Generator wattage needed:
Watts per hour
Formula: (kWh/yr) /8760=
example: 240,000 / 8760= 27.397 per hour
27.4 watts Small freezer
70.78 watts Refrigerator
150 (2x75) Lasco box fans
40 (20x2) television
350 (10x35) All Lights
80 (40x2) exhaust fan
750 (250 x 3) Computer
20 modem

I am running my TMHI router on my GoLabs 256 Wh power station. It is idling at about 7 watts, and 12-13 watts when downloading heavily. So it should last about 20+ hours. After about 4-8 hours I would need to plug in my laptop, but by then I should have power back.

I do have two LiFePo4 100 Ah batteries and a inverter, so I could use those for long term.

I also have two gensets that work and plenty of fuel - I try not to use those for short term power outages.

My main issue it the well pump. I have no way to power that currently as I would need to connect a genset (240V I assume) to the power mains for the house (not the interior panel - but rather an external box), and there is no way to do that currently even if I had a 240VAC genset (the one I have doesn't run).

I am running my TMHI router on my GoLabs 256 Wh power station. It is idling at about 7 watts, and 12-13 watts when downloading heavily. So it should last about 20+ hours. After about 4-8 hours I would need to plug in my laptop, but by then I should have power back.

I do have two LiFePo4 100 Ah batteries and a inverter, so I could use those for long term.

I also have two gensets that work and plenty of fuel - I try not to use those for short term power outages.

My main issue it the well pump. I have no way to power that currently as I would need to connect a genset (240V I assume) to the power mains for the house (not the interior panel - but rather an external box), and there is no way to do that currently even if I had a 240VAC genset (the one I have doesn't run).
Good advise! I may need to get a quick power battery backup for short term.
The only thing about going 240v inside the main box is your switch box connection will be 30 amps. The generator designed will be running more than 120 cc motor and gasoline consumption. I'm a bit nervous storing more than 10 gallons of gas in my storage shed.
As of the well pump, not sure too and that's another gnerator power.
BTW: I have a water in-line reverse osmosis filtering system. Whenever I have an empty gallon of distilled water, I fill it up and store it for emergency. So far I have 22 gallons inside the house. Every 2 months I check it and so far its reading 5 parts per million which is a shy in purity next to a distilled water.
Time to get rid of "The BiG Guy" :s0114:

Good advise! I may need to get a quick power battery backup for short term.
The advantage of a battery bank (besides being quiet) is that you can charge it up with your genset while running the genset to power a fridge/etc. intermittently. Then you run the low power stuff for hours/days. You can use the fridge/freezer/microwave/well pump/water heater/washer/dryer/etc. while the genset is running.

My chest freezer in the shop will keep things frozen for several days to a week (depending on ambient temps and how often I open it) without power. My fridge will keep thing cold enough if I power it for an hour or two each day.

Just got a text from PGE - they said the outage is caused by "high winds", which I had already guessed. That probably means they have a crew at the outage site.

I am really surprised that our home didn;t lose power and intenet are both still up. With high winds yesterday evening and into the morning hours we typlically lose power for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed for now. The winds are still blowing but not as gusty as yesterday evening.

The advantage of a battery bank (besides being quiet) is that you can charge it up with your genset while running the genset to power a fridge/etc. intermittently. Then you run the low power stuff for hours/days. You can use the fridge/freezer/microwave/well pump/water heater/washer/dryer/etc. while the genset is running.

My chest freezer in the shop will keep things frozen for several days to a week (depending on ambient temps and how often I open it) without power. My fridge will keep thing cold enough if I power it for an hour or two each day.

Just got a text from PGE - they said the outage is caused by "high winds", which I had already guessed. That probably means they have a crew at the outage site.
I'm putting a post on the nextdoor wanted electrician for installing switch box. I know how to work on tube amps and auto electrical. But not the house. The switchbox looks very simple but my upper Heater Furnace and A/C is in a form of 1 big unit with 2 separate fusebox . (AC and Heater labeled) If I shut off the A/C breaker and leave the heater on, it works fine as it should. Vice versa on heater - A/C. The one thats throwing me off is its using the same Driver Fan for the Central AC and Heater. :s0153:
I mean I can run the heater with the A/C breaker off just to make sure but if I forget, it might give me a surprise when power turns on.:s0040:

I am really surprised that our home didn;t lose power and intenet are both still up. With high winds yesterday evening and into the morning hours we typlically lose power for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed for now. The winds are still blowing but not as gusty as yesterday evening.
you must not be close to giant trees.
When I was planning for a house a while back, I wanted to get on rural with trees around it. One day it snowed really heavy and the tree was buried with snow. I called the apartment landlord and I told them that the tree is leaning and pointed towards us. Knowing some typical apartment manager the the only thing he does is he lets his wife do all the building works while he's shining his pickup. I finally figured out that the future I will have with that apartment manager will be equals to NOTHING. Later on I bought a house with controlled tree height surroundings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top