JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found Varget pretty accurate with heavier bullets between 55 and 69 grains. Now I only shoot 50 and 55 grain .223 loads and N133 is the most accurate I have ever used. I use it in three rifles though so I buy 8 lb kegs at either Powder Valley or MidSouth Shooter Supply. Typically buy another keg of something or a few other pounds and it offsets the hazmat and shipping costs. Locally you can't beat Bi-mart. I see they have an additional $2 off this week as well. Selection is somewhat limited, but the more popular Hodgdon and IMR powders are there.

What's store has the best price? Cabela's? Sportsmans?

Cabela's is stupid now that Bass Pro owns them. I used to buy TiteWad from them on the cheap, and sometimes they'd have sales on primers that were excellent. Now they are overpriced ala Bass Pro.

Sportsman's is just OK on pricing powders that I've seen. Certainly better than Cabela's.

Maybe check local gun shows or gun stores if you're inclined to support local business owners.

What's store has the best price? Cabela's? Sportsmans?

Screenshot_2019-01-04 Bi-Mart - Bi-Mart Ads.png

Bi Mart violated my son's Constitutional rights, I won't shop there.

Sportsman's gets my business. And look at shootersproshop.com for Nosler factory seconds. Cosmetic blemishes only, half price. I buy a lot of 50 grain Ballistic Tips. Max charge per Nosler (start low, work up) of Benchmark, CCI400 primers, 3400 fps, great accuracy.

P

AR Comp works great. H335 is also a good powder. I'm thinking about trying some TAC here shortly since it is much cheaper than AR Comp and I've heard good things about it. It's worth looking in to..

Winchester 748 is my choice for 55 gr Vmax which is about 95% of what I load for 223. Meters well.

Bi-Mart is definitely the best place to get powder especially when it $2 off a pound.

I found Varget pretty accurate with heavier bullets between 55 and 69 grains. Now I only shoot 50 and 55 grain .223 loads and N133 is the most accurate I have ever used. I use it in three rifles though so I buy 8 lb kegs at either Powder Valley or MidSouth Shooter Supply. Typically buy another keg of something or a few other pounds and it offsets the hazmat and shipping costs. Locally you can't beat Bi-mart. I see they have an additional $2 off this week as well. Selection is somewhat limited, but the more popular Hodgdon and IMR powders are there.
I vote ++ on the Varget for 55 gr and up, and +++ for Powder Valley. They have great prices and I've gotten good service from them. If I buy 8 lb. or more the hazmat fee is less than the markup at my local stores. You can always go in with a couple of friends if that's too much powder all at once - get a pound or two of a couple different powders.

Cool. Thanks pharm. Have you tried the 50gr v max with TAC?

Yes, but I use the same recipe for the 50 gr Ballistic Tip with Benchmark. Almost the exact same velocity and accuracy. I actually started with the V-Max. The only reason I switched to the BT was cost. Shootersproshop.com is slightly cheaper than buying the Hornady. I feed five bolt .223 rifles and we go through a few bullets.

I tried Varget, CFE223, Benchmark, and TAC, and found Benchmark to deliver the best accuracy. The best velocity, too, which was nice.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads