JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sounds like you have the wrong barrel twist for the round. or just a very worn out barrel. My 5.56 will shoot sub-moa with factory loaded M855 ammo. And my 7.62x39 doesn't do too bad with steel cased 124gr either..

View attachment 535269
red was about ~18rds
pink was the remainder of the magazine with my buddies fiancee shooting it. She did pretty well for her first time ever firing an AR15 or 7.62x39, and her first time ever using a scope. He had to teach her how to look through it but she finally got it figured out.

Say what you will about factory ammo but if you use the proper bullet weight and velocity your barrel was made for you will get pretty good results.

He was being sarcastic. ;)

Guess I'm strange. I like CFE223. Meters super well. IMR 4198 has been accurate with lighter bullets for me but must weigh each throw...pain for 223. The books have moved their data so I'm over the current max loads with it for most manuals.

H335 AA2230 are my faves. Or mil surplus WC-844 which is H335ish.

WC-844 Military Smokeless Rifle Powder - 16 lbs
I missed out on the days when you could get WC-844 & WC-846 for cheap. :(

By the time it was available again, it was almost the same cost as new canister powder.

I decided to go in with a coworker on a large order from Powder Valley, and haven't looked back since.

If you want a treat for your AR load some IMR 3031. Sucks to deal with the long stick but if you devote a little time to it you will see why the AR and 223 were developed using IMR 3031/4475........my go to is 335 and CFE223 for fast bulk loads......AR Comp , RE15 for grouping

Ramshot TAC is my first choice. A few months back scored a pair of 8 lbs kegs on sale for $129 each with free hazmat with a $250 order. I use it with bullets from 40 gr through 77 gr. for bolt guns and AR's.
Next up would be IMR-8208XBR. I also like Accurate 2230 (and Ramshot Exterminator, same powder) and 2460. I used to use Accurate 2015 as my "go to", but TAC meters so much better.
Locally, I like BiMart for their prices and head south to Hermiston to deny Gov. Inslee his 8.6% extortion. Powder Valley and Mid-South Shooters Supply are my main online sources for bulk purchases.

25.0grains of H335 behind a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, Federal Benchrest primer. Probably not a "max load", and probably not where I'll end up with any particular rifle, but ALWAYS shoots well in EVERY .223 so far. It is always my starting point with a new gun (or loading for someone else's gun), and in a number of cases it became the final choice.

84FF0967-F724-4932-8334-2D974C79DE9D.jpeg

If you decide to try a heavier bullet but keep the TAC...

Mv is 2990.

P

Last Edited:
Sportsmans and if you want to patron Bi-Mart after their illegal policies go ahead.

I use IMR3031 for almost everything. It just works.

Yep, a very versatile powder for many rifle calibers, it's one of my favorites.
I am also testing CFE223 & like the way it measures.;)
I generally by powder & primers locally to support the brick & mortar stores.

Some buddies and I decided that the RDF in those Nosler bullets stood for "Random Dang Flier"
None of us could get them to shoot worth a darn in several rifles...

For 223 I like H4895 or H335 for the 50-62 grain bullets.

So far, so good.

86EB1201-2D72-47F8-A3B7-2D2A8DF4B82B.jpeg

I have a few more seating depths to try. I'd like to shrink the .728" group to .5".

P

Isn't that the truth!! :D I also agree on how cheap 223 brass is. I have't bought any in years. I still keep accumulating it though... 600 pcs FC once fired laying on the ground at a popular rock quarry I frequent and 600+ pieces of excellent PMC factory stuff laying there ripe for the pickings... You should see that stuff now. Polished and primed with BR4's. It's a thing of beauty... I won't ever have to buy 223 brass again. If I ever do run out, I'll just go and pick more up at most ranges I go to.. It's free and one of the few things I can count on..
View attachment 535185

About 6 years ago I bought 1k Rounds of PMC ammo, still have most of it & have a few loads on half of it with no problems.
I don't load to max ever so I figure they will last a while.

I know a lot of guys have not heard of AR comp, but it is one of my favorite powders. It even works in bolt action rifles. It is said to be a re-formulated version of RL15 that meters much better, yet still offers all the benefits of RL15. IE: Excellent accuracy, clean burning, and very temp stable. Here are a few groups I've shot with AR comp powder in a few of my rifles (AR's and bolt actions):

One of my most recent rifle purchases. Savage model 10 predator .223 rem. Haven't really wrung it out to see what she can really do yet, but seems to like my AR 15 loads:
QxUlqug.jpg

The AR, that I worked up the above load for:
lvSgK1N.jpg
MGj1UIq.jpg

Here's another load with that powder and 69gr sierra:
hv8bOQt.jpg

And another few:
ctFQKsq.jpg
lFEsNjg.jpg
5 shot group^^^^^ 4 into about the same hole and dropped the last shot.
DTw3W7M.jpg

One from my Stag 6HL:
vkI6iIY.jpg

My Noveske is not quite as good, but hovers around moa with AR comp:
XZWxXTG.jpg
All of these groups were shot with range pickup brass... Powder was dropped into each 223 rem case with a uni-flo powder measure.

Last Edited:
My "go to" powder for the .223 rem used to be H335, as that's the one that always produced the best accuracy and it flows like water out of my uni-flo. However, you have to be mindful of max loads and the temperature sensitivity of this powder. You don't want to approach max loads on a cold day and then try shooting it on a blistering hot day. You'll get pressure spikes and bad things may happen. With this being said, I'll usually stay away from max loads with this powder and find a good accuracy node about a grain or so away from book max listings. Here are some target pics I shot with my Ruger m77 varmint and Hawkeye 223 rem, while using H335:

Otzlw9w.jpg
lCRtLnb.jpg
88EcVNL.jpg
h1OSlH3.jpg
jrjXGMl.jpg

This was after trying benchmark, BLC-2, Tac, IMR4198 and some others that are supposed to perform exceptionally well. The best accuracy was found with H335. I personally want to try CFE223 and IMR XBR 8208 powder in my new predator 223 rifle. If it doesn't perform admirably well, or any better than H335 or AR Comp, I probably won't waste any more time looking for the "ultimate" powder for the little 223..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top