JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
H4895 with 50gr Hornady zombies shoots the tightest groups with highest velocities in both my bolt and "fully semi-auto" 223's. It doesn't meter worth a crap but I throw a little low then trickle to zero. I bought a bunch of H4895 from bi-mart before their policy change. Now I just stop by to say hi to the nice ladies in the sporting goods dept. that hate their policies too.

wait for free hazmatt/shipping sales and hit up natchezss for powder. buy in bulk when that sale comes.

but for .223/5.56...really don't see the point in reloading unless you want to run heavy match grade ammo. The ammo is cheap and plentiful. can buy steel case .223 55gr FMJ for $0.18/rd. Can buy federal AE 55gr FMJ 5.56 NATO brass case $0.23/rd after rebate or $0.28/rd without rebate.

wait for free hazmatt/shipping sales and hit up natchezss for powder. buy in bulk when that sale comes.

but for .223/5.56...really don't see the point in reloading unless you want to run heavy match grade ammo. The ammo is cheap and plentiful. can buy steel case .223 55gr FMJ for $0.18/rd. Can buy federal AE 55gr FMJ 5.56 NATO brass case $0.23/rd after rebate or $0.28/rd without rebate.
With the current bulk order im looking at online I'd be reloading 1000rnds for $0.16 so I mean not a lot of savings but it's still better and it gives me something to do on days when I can't go to the range

Speaking of powder...

Wanna see what I did last night?

Too bad, going to share anyway.

B2F55132-FF66-45D6-B91A-DA73E044A77F.jpeg

I got 5 rounds loaded before I realized the error.

Speaking of powder...

View attachment 534764

Good catch man. I know we don't talk about this too often, but a new reloader should know the golden rule: ONLY 1 bottle of powder on the reloading bench at a time. I always make it a point to leave that jug of powder right there, so I know what I'm working with. This is another reason I only work with 1 kind of powder at a time when I'm reloading and developing loads. I have a friend that is new to loading and I try asking politely why he has so many different types of powders and bullets listed on his load data when he's trying to work up a load. He does a lot of jumping and skipping around and doesn't really understand how to properly work up a load. I figure he thinks he's smarter than I am, so I gave up and just let him do it. It takes forever for him to find a good load, if he even does for his rifles. Here's an example: He was working on a load for his new Savage 12fv 204 Ruger the other day and I noticed he was doing that same stuff again. His groups were mediocre (1" 3 shot groups) at best and not representative of what the rifle really should be shooting like. He blamed his poor groups on the crown of the barrel. It didn't look quite right to him. Then the next time I saw him at the range, he asked me to look at the crown and it was chamfered. He said he used a brass screw with some rubbing compound to smooth it out. He shot more groups with his loads that consisted of 3 different types of bullets and powders and it still shot ho hum (1" 3 shot groups).

Wow @bsa1917hunter, that's impressive.

It's true though, all powder should be put away. Mine is all on a shelf opposite corner from where I load. Some dumb reason though I just grabbed the wrong bottle.... twice. I should have quit right there but I wanted to shoot today.

Ended up good but what an eye opener. I'd have probably made a trip to the ER and lost a rifle and scope in the process. Ouch..$$$$

Yea, 6" groups are awesome.

Speaking of powder...

View attachment 534764

Speaking of powder...

View attachment 534764

Hey buddy, dont feel bad. The good thing is, you caught the mistake. It pays to pay attention to every detail. As i sit here resizing brass and throwing it in the tumbler, i am reminded of the other day when i got a big laugh out of something i did. Ive been loading a lot of 223 here lately and i had 2 die sets. 1 just for my AR's and the other for my bolt actions. I bought a small base die set for the AR's, but realized my standard die set worked great for loading my ar 223 rifles. Everything fed perfectly in all of my rifles, so the small base die got put on the shelf. Then i looked on my older die set that i originally bought for my bolt guns. The side of the sizer says "sb ..11" . Im thinking what the heck? I look at my newer die set that i marked "AR ONLY" And it says "sb..16" . I think, you got to be kidding me, they are both small base dies :eek:. Both boxes say "P/N 11103 small base die set .223 REM". The op will be loading for a 223, so i figured id throw that out. Generally i dont use small base dies, based on the opinion that it will overwork the brass, but i havent noticed any difference in performance. Ill probably keep using these myself...:oops:

I use small base on everything. .223/5.56 brass is cheap.

I too have bought duplicate stuff on accident. Haven't we all?

At least we all can sit back and laugh at ourselves.

Isn't that the truth!! :D I also agree on how cheap 223 brass is. I have't bought any in years. I still keep accumulating it though... 600 pcs FC once fired laying on the ground at a popular rock quarry I frequent and 600+ pieces of excellent PMC factory stuff laying there ripe for the pickings... You should see that stuff now. Polished and primed with BR4's. It's a thing of beauty... I won't ever have to buy 223 brass again. If I ever do run out, I'll just go and pick more up at most ranges I go to.. It's free and one of the few things I can count on..
gwFD55A.jpg

Last Edited:
Yea, 6" groups are awesome.
sounds like you have the wrong barrel twist for the round. or just a very worn out barrel. My 5.56 will shoot sub-moa with factory loaded M855 ammo. And my 7.62x39 doesn't do too bad with steel cased 124gr either..

dwqSfhw.jpg
red was about ~18rds
pink was the remainder of the magazine with my buddies fiancee shooting it. She did pretty well for her first time ever firing an AR15 or 7.62x39, and her first time ever using a scope. He had to teach her how to look through it but she finally got it figured out.

Say what you will about factory ammo but if you use the proper bullet weight and velocity your barrel was made for you will get pretty good results.

Back on topic: I still recommend stocking up when natchezss does their free hazmat shipping sales as you will get really good deals on powder.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top