JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you reload 556 brass in 223 die set?

Selection_001.jpg

Can you reload 556 brass in 223 die set?

View attachment 1170975
Yes, but the "conventional wisdom" is MILSPEC 5.56 brass has a bit more wall thickness than .223 and therefore a bit less powder capacity than .223 which could potentially cause higher pressures if you load max-load .223 recipes in MILSPEC 5.56 cases.

The "big" differences are in the barrel chamberings.

Yes, but the "conventional wisdom" is MILSPEC 5.56 brass has a bit more wall thickness than .223 and therefore a bit less powder capacity than .223 which could potentially cause higher pressures if you load max-load .223 recipes in MILSPEC 5.56 cases.
I dont plan on that. If I use the 556 brass I would work up its own ladder test starting at the bottom of the load data for 556. But this is a good point to point out.

Can anyone tell me who makes this brass? I saved it from a while ago but cant recall who made it...
Selection_001.jpg

Like I added in my prior post after you quoted it… the .223 and 5.56 barrel chambers are the critical difference.
ah... yes....
Im aware of a chamber difference... something to do with higher pressures in 556 I think. You can shoot 223 in a 556 but not the other way around (and people will argue that but I wont...)

My chamber is 223 Wylde I should be GTG.

ah... yes....
Im aware of a chamber difference... something to do with higher pressures in 556 I think. You can shoot 223 in a 556 but not the other way around (and people will argue that but I wont...)

My chamber is 223 Wylde I should be GTG.
No, it has to do with a longer lead to the rifling grooves in 5.56 chambers… that's why you can run .223 in a 5.56 chamber without the bullet's ogive getting jammed into the grooves.

No, it has to do with a longer lead to the rifling grooves in 5.56 chambers… that's why you can run .223 in a 5.56 chamber without the bullet's ogive getting jammed into the grooves.
those damn grooves always gettin in the way... :p
I knew it had a longer lead but always thought that was part of the chamber, I learned something new.

It has to do with pressure.

I load both 223 and 5.56 cases to just below high 223 velocity/pressure and can use in either chamber...no problems.

5 56 velocity runs around 3,300, and I load at around 2,800+

Most people won't notice a poi change out to 200 yards.

With Ramshot TAC, you can load close to 5.56 velocity, while still staying in 223 pressure

.223 and 5.56 cases have identical external dimensions. While it's commonly stated that military brass has thicker walls and hence less capacity. The difference between internal capacity within production lots of the same ammo vary as much or more as that between military and commercial. So, some military cases have less capacity than some commercial cases.

The 5.56 chamber has a slightly larger neck diameter and longer leade to allow tracer ammo to be fired without creating an overpressure situation. To make up for the lower velocity that the larger chamber created, the load was increased to bring it back to the velocity specs.

So, a 5.56 round in a 5.56 chamber creates the same overall chamber pressure as a .223 round in a .223 chamber.

I load both 223 and 5.56 cases to just below high 223 velocity/pressure and can use in either chamber...no problems.

5 56 velocity runs around 3,300, and I load at around 2,800+

Most people won't notice a poi change out to 200 yards.
Im probably just going to stick with 223 brass for what I need, but this is why im curious about using 556 brass... because when I buy bulk range ammo to practice with I often get deals on 556 and will end up with a ton of 556 brass. The thought occurred to me to just download the powder charge enough to use any brass.

Being in the commercial loading biz, we have to cater to the lowest quality rifle chamber they may be used...so lowering the pressure to assure that they are safe to shoot, no matter the chamber, while also maintaining minimum poi shift out to 200 yards can be tough...but we managed to do it.

Here's to your happy loading journey!

Being in the commercial loading biz, we have to cater to the lowest quality rifle chamber they may be used...so lowering the pressure to assure that they are safe to shoot, no matter the chamber, while also maintaining minimum poi shift out to 200 yards can be tough...but we managed to do it.

Here's to your happy loading journey!
My reloading needs here are totally different as Im not a high volume reloader. For practice and range use Id just buy a brick of 556 or 223 whatevers cheapest. But as Ive sorted the different brass Ive shot by mfg to reload I cant help but think of a universal handload, which is why I asked if the 556 brass would fit in my 223 dies. As I learn more and go down the loading journey its not a bad idea to keep in mind to have a load recipe that works in any brass.

Same dies for .223 and 5.56

I did some volume testing awhile back and most cases have very close to the same internal volume, commercial and military. I tested several different military brands of brass and several different commercial brands. All were close enough that I decided to not worry about it.

The one exception was Remington .223 brass. It had a considerable amount more volume than all the rest.

My reloading needs here are totally different as Im not a high volume reloader. For practice and range use Id just buy a brick of 556 or 223 whatevers cheapest. But as Ive sorted the different brass Ive shot by mfg to reload I cant help but think of a universal handload, which is why I asked if the 556 brass would fit in my 223 dies. As I learn more and go down the loading journey its not a bad idea to keep in mind to have a load recipe that works in any brass.
Actually high volume vs handloader requires the same attention to detail and load development.

I don't wish you luck...I wish you much patience and success.

I did some volume testing awhile back and most cases have very close to the same internal volume, commercial and military. I tested several different military brands of brass and several different commercial brands. All were close enough that I decided to not worry about it.
This is good to know. Right now I have like almost no experience with this outside of my first ladder test and then last weekend I ran 20 rds to check the charge I picked. Im starting with some new (virgin) Nosler 223 brass but I also loaded 5rds with some Federal 223 brass testing side by side on the same charge and the results were nearly identical. I got a 1/4" smaller group with the Federal brass is all. The POI was the same. Next Im going to load 20rds of each brass to compare, I might add 5rds of some once fired Winchester brass I saved to check as well. Ideally it would be awesome to not worry about sorting brass but not a deal breaker.

To be clear, If going for the best accuracy I do sort by headstamp and # of times fired.

Acceptable accuracy means different things to different people and will often require different degrees of attention to detail and processing of the brass.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews