JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I have owned both.
I shot both REALLY well.
In the end the thing that did it in for me was glocks just have more after market parts and accessories as well as years and years of mags that were produced.

I figured (at the time) since I shot well with both, I may as well keep the G17 and sell the XD40.. It could have just as easily gone the other way though.

Im in love with the XDS-45.. One day Ill own one.

In the end the thing that did it in for me was glocks just have more after market parts and accessories as well as years and years of mags that were produced.

That's a good point that I didn't think about previously - for the Glocks, you can find used/police trade mags at a nice price. I've also been fortunate to buy a few police trade Glocks at nice prices too - something you don't get as much of an option (if any) with the Springfields.

Glock do not fit my hand, nor do they point naturally for me, so I don't own any. The Springfield XD series are marginally better, so I don't own any of them. I do own a number of other handguns, my EDC being a Kahr, and a number of Brownihg High Power in both nine and forty. Glock? I don't care how fine they are, if I can't pick one up and hit what I want to, I've no use for them. It comes down to grip/barrel angle. Glock don't have it "right" for ME.

I completely understand.

And salute your choice! :D

Tiny hands.png

I have three Springfields (.40 KDm, 9mm in the 5.25, and .45 XDs) and have had absolutely zero malfunctions even with remanufactured ammo. A sheriff's deputy friend strongly recommended a Glock 42 we were handling at a gun show, since Glocks are what he was issued by the department and also never malfunctioned. Reliability is my top priority. Then comes: how well can I shoot with them? Difficult to compare the little .380 Glock versus the Springfields. I wish the Glock felt better and less slippery in my hand; and why didn't Glock (and other pocket pistol makers) position the trigger a half inch forward so it's easier to use my fingertip on the trigger? I enjoy shooting the Springfields--though I usually limit defensive practice with the XDs due to its exceptionally aggressive grip--and the .40 is my main home defense gun. The Glock is my go-to for summer wear. (By the way, Galco's Ankle Lite with the 42 is actually comfortable to wear all day!) Bottom line: if the feel of the gun were my top priority, I'd choose my Kimber .45 Super Carry Ultra. It's absolutely reliable with new ammo with the FTX bullet (not so much with other bullets). It could have been made custom for my hand, and I can shoot it as well as any of the others. I don't carry it often, simply because it's too nice and too expensive to have it confiscated. Basically, you can't go wrong with any decently-made, accurate gun. Don't sell or trade any of them if you don't have to!

I'd never owned a Glock until I bought the G40 10mm. The day I bought it I took it home read the manual, field striped it and clean/lubed it. I then played with the back-straps and found the Goldilocks one. Started shooting it and it was awesome, even won a Bowling pin match a month after i bought it. I liked it so much I ran out and bought a G21 in 45 auto. I knew what I wanted so right out of the gate I thru a Lone wolf and Dawson fiber optic sights at it only to find that it shot really high and I'd have to break my wrist lock to get it to shoot to point of aim. *palm slap to my forehead*, I'd bought a Gen 3 with no adjustable back-strap and the pistol was way too narrow at the top of the grip for me. When I held the pistol out with my eyes closed and then opened them the rear sight picture was cutting the slide about a half inch before the front sight. No wonder it was shooting so high when I'd shoot rapid fire. That 45 has gone away and a Gen 4 G17 has found it's way to my hand, put the correct back-strap on and it's a natural pointer just like the 10mm.

This discussion might've already been done to death, but maybe you'll humor me and answer a question: What is it that attracts you to a Glock, instead of a Springfield? Or a Springfield, instead of a Glock?

I recently swapped my Glocks out for Springfields. My G21 turned into a 3.8" XDM .45, and my G43 turned into an XDS 9mm.

Not long after I made the switch, I came across one of our brothers here on NWFA who's doing the same thing - only he's going the other direction, replacing his Springfields with Glocks.

So I'm curious to hear what you all are being drawn to... Reliability? Looks? Feel?

As for me, I really like having the grip safety on the Springfields. I generally carry the XDS in my front pocket, and feel better about it because of that safety. I have carried revolvers and Glock, and they seem about the same to me. Reliable, and no safety to bother with.

But really, the Springfields are just good-looking pistols. And they've been reliable for me. Plus, that grip safety thing.

Almost forgot to mention, the Springfield magazines seem to be much better made.

View attachment 313287
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think XDs are pug ugly. I like the sleek simple lines of the Glocks. I understand and trust the internal safeties in most of todays striker fired guns, and abhor external safeties in defensive guns. I always use a pocket holster when carrying in a pocket. Ergonomics are important. How the gun feels in the hand. I prefer the M&Ps in this regard. The trigger is what makes or breaks my buying decision. I don't care for the XD trigger. Can't really explain why. M&P triggers suck, but can be replaced with an Apex. There are so many variables that are simply a matter of preference. If this were not so, there would only be one gun manufacturer, the one who made the "best" gun.

I've had several XD pistols, I don't care for the extra weight (XD 4" vs G19 for example) and for some reason I can't stand that roll pin in the slide holding the firing pin in place. The grip safety is not an issue with me but if I have options, I rather not have a grip safety.
Don't get me wrong, I like the XD pistols but between a G19 or a XD compact 4".... I'll go with G19 hands down..... the Glock grip also fits in my hand better.

There is no roll PIN in the slide, it is a Roll SPRING (yes it looks like a roll pin, but it is not) the SPRING opening should be oriented directly toward one side or the other to work as a spring and NOT fore and aft to not work at all. I have five Springfield's and four Glock's, I prefer to shoot Springfield's because they work better for me. I just don't care which one looks better, they are both fairly ugly.

Yes it is, it does look like a roll pin and is called the "Striker Retaining Pin" but a roll spring stops when it contacts the open ends where a roll pin has ends that can slide over each other. Roll pin slots are cut at a angle to the longitudinal axis where Roll spring slots are cut perpendicular to the longitudinal axis.

Yes it is, it does look like a roll pin and is called the "Striker Retaining Pin" but a roll spring stops when it contacts the open ends where a roll pin has ends that can slide over each other. Roll pin slots are cut at a angle to the longitudinal axis where Roll spring slots are cut perpendicular to the longitudinal axis.
Hmmm I didn't know that... good thing I am not a betting man lol. Good to know, thanks.

I did not know it until I went to the XD/XDM armorer's course at Front Sight this past July. Just Trivia, but how its oriented was the big deal, often wrong from the factory like my XD was, I checked my two XDS and my XDM when I got back and they were oriented properly but that could be because Springer did it when I had all three in there for action work.

What is it that attracts you to a Glock, instead of a Springfield? Or a Springfield, instead of a Glock?

Glocks really dominated the 'tupperware' market in my local shops for a good while before the XDs, M&Ps, etc became popular alternatives. I've been running Glocks long enough to be totally familiar with their operation & very confident in the reliability and consistency of my pistols. Personally, I like the plain jane aesthetics. Adding something like an XD isn't out of the question but I don't see any reason to switch.

What is it that attracts you to a Glock, instead of a Springfield? Or a Springfield, instead of a Glock?

Glocks really dominated the 'tupperware' market in my local shops for a good while before the XDs, M&Ps, etc became popular alternatives. I've been running Glocks long enough to be totally familiar with their operation & very confident in the reliability and consistency of my pistols. Personally, I like the plain jane aesthetics. Adding something like an XD isn't out of the question but I don't see any reason to switch.
To me the very best thing about Glocks is the variety of calibers, you can't get the XD family if you want a 380 or 10 MM or 357 Sig, all available with Glock. I like shooting the XD's better, I like the Grip better and really like the Mod 2 Grip in the Service and Tactical models. Springfield does not stray as far from their design concept as much as Glock. The XDS was a departure, but the XDM was just a XD rework to allow takedown without a trigger pull (And garner some contracts from departments that did not like pulling triggers to takedown a gun)
I believe the XD a incrementally better design, they had the advantage of seeing Glock's initial teething pains and designed accordingly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top