JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With so many aftermarket options out there from cheap to expensive Glock clones, plus DIY builds, what is the real world difference between a clone and a "Real McCoy" Glock? Primarily, What are you getting in a real Glock you arent in a cheap clone?

Reference:
Glock19 Gen3 $550 (Sportsmans)
P80 PFC9 Regular price $350 (deltateamtactical)
Combat Armory CA19 pistol regular price $330 (combatarmory)
Note: consider that with the cheap clones you can very often find them on sale for even less, eg, that Combat Armory CA19 is currently $230.

1704859836661.png

You're buying a product you can feel confident in, that it wasn't made to be a cheap clone that's "good enough" or whizbanged so far away from how it was designed to work that reliable function is no longer guaranteed but hey, it sure looks cool on the 'gram. You're buying a Glock that was made to work the way Glocks work.

I get the name brand reputation and quality and in no way advocating anyone buy a clone over a real Glock. Im primarily interested in whats the real world practical difference?

Lots of people modify their OEM Glocks with aftermarket parts with reliable results. The architecture is the same, the technology isnt complex.

The warranty matters to me, with the clones and DIY who ya gonna call?
The warranty would be the biggest reason to buy Glock.

Its my curiosity on the actual use since these clones and DIY parts are all Glock drop in geometry Im wondering how they are any different in function and reliability.

I'd give one of the cheap ones a rip. Why not? I think worst case would be cycling issues. Not as my primary or EDC but as a range gun sure.

I'd give one of the cheap ones a rip. Why not? I think worst case would be cycling issues. Not as my primary or EDC but as a range gun sure.
Yes, as a spare, third, fourth gun, truck gun, shed gun, shower gun whatever why not. But there's enough of them out nowadays Im thinking reliability isnt the issue here, all these clones are Glock compatible.

Yes, as a spare, third, fourth gun, truck gun, shed gun, shower gun whatever why not. But there's enough of them out nowadays Im thinking reliability isnt the issue here, all these clones are Glock compatible.
So what are you looking at? Metallurgy? The specific polymer mix? Those are both valid concerns.

Yes, however usually with different tolerances and/or materials. If it's made of the same materials to the same tolerances as the real deal, then it will function the same as the real deal. The problem is when you change anything at all, you're rolling the dice. They may be Glock compatible but not Glock reliable.

You typically don't hear about issues with bone stock Glocks. You hear about them when somebody thinks they understand Gaston's design better than he did and start changing springs and making things lightweight to "reduce lock time" as if they have any idea what that is or how much is needed in the first place.

Again, what you're buying is a Glock made the way Glocks are supposed to be made and the proven, repeatable reliability that comes with it

So what are you looking at? Metallurgy? The specific polymer mix? Those are both valid concerns.
That I dont know, thats kinda what I was hoping anyone might know and share on these.
I personally dont see a huge risk as I dont think the Browning short recoil action pistol technology is all that difficult. Glocks are simple guns.

I paid 300 bucks for my police turn in factory refurbished gen 4 Glock 22. IMHO I couldn't get more gun for less money that that even if I built it myself. My other question would be will a Gucci, Clone, or DIY run 10,000 rounds like my box stock one will. It's my truck glove box gun and in the 5 years I've had it I've ran 2-3000 rounds thru it with nary a problem. I do clean it once in a while when I think about it but it's a Glock and just plan runs.

That I dont know, thats kinda what I was hoping anyone might know and share on these.
I personally dont see a huge risk as I dont think the Browning short recoil action pistol technology is all that difficult. Glocks are simple guns.
Yeah, they're pretty hard to F up.

With so many aftermarket options out there from cheap to expensive Glock clones, plus DIY builds, what is the real world difference between a clone and a "Real McCoy" Glock? Primarily, What are you getting in a real Glock you arent in a cheap clone?

Reference:
Glock19 Gen3 $550 (Sportsmans)
P80 PFC9 Regular price $350 (deltateamtactical)
Combat Armory CA19 pistol regular price $330 (combatarmory)
Note: consider that with the cheap clones you can very often find them on sale for even less, eg, that Combat Armory CA19 is currently $230.

View attachment 1798920
The P80 clones are $250ish right now at Delta Team. I would buy a used Glock if I was depending on it to save my life. For range toy use, I would get at least one of each clone.

I don't have much experience with the cheap clones but it's possible they could find ways to improve. For example, on my OZ9 they used the 1911 grip angle among other things which was a welcome change. Nothing is stopping one of these copycats from actually finding a way to do it better for less. Maybe doing so will keep Glock motivated to put more money into R&D...I really think they are leaving some meat on the bone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top