JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This discussion might've already been done to death, but maybe you'll humor me and answer a question: What is it that attracts you to a Glock, instead of a Springfield? Or a Springfield, instead of a Glock?

I recently swapped my Glocks out for Springfields. My G21 turned into a 3.8" XDM .45, and my G43 turned into an XDS 9mm.

Not long after I made the switch, I came across one of our brothers here on NWFA who's doing the same thing - only he's going the other direction, replacing his Springfields with Glocks.

So I'm curious to hear what you all are being drawn to... Reliability? Looks? Feel?

As for me, I really like having the grip safety on the Springfields. I generally carry the XDS in my front pocket, and feel better about it because of that safety. I have carried revolvers and Glock, and they seem about the same to me. Reliable, and no safety to bother with.

But really, the Springfields are just good-looking pistols. And they've been reliable for me. Plus, that grip safety thing.

Almost forgot to mention, the Springfield magazines seem to be much better made.

IMG_4865.JPG

Before I bought my glocks, I looked at springfields, but I hated the way they felt, to me it was top heavy, the grip felt weird like a cheap piece of plastic stock.

glocks just always felt better to me, I was more comfortable with them.
I love the versatility. I have a G26, 17, and 34 so I bough a bunch of G17 mags and it works for all. Same with holsters.

I have both, Springfield is more pleasing to the eye IMO, Glock is simple and easy. The grip angle on the glocks takes getting used to. Also Springfield doesn't make a 10mm XD, and that G20 is my favorite.

First striker fired pistol I owned was a Gen2 G21, which I purchased just before Wild Bill became president. Shoots better than I can, trigger is decent enough with the factory 5lb connector. I put Meprolight sights on it and proceeded to shoot the bloody hell out of the thing for a couple decades. It just works and works, every time, no fuss, no problems. Accurate, fits my hand, really works well for me. Dropped a KKM barrel into the G21 so I could hang a 'muzzle accessory' on the end. Never once has jammed or stovepiped, just keeps shooting flawlessly. Along the way a G26 and a G23 worked their way into the safe. I've got a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for the G23 so it can shoot .40 and 9mm. I've shot buddies XD's and they felt odd in my hands. Shot fine, but they weren't for me. I guess I'm in the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" camp. Both are fine pistols, but as it is with any pistol, there's a certain 'zen' that has to happen between the tool and the operator. If it doesn't feel good in your hand, if you're not pleased with it for any reason, that's not the handgun for you. Gaston's guns work well for me, so that's where I'm staying. For now....:cool:

I haven't gone back and forth but consider both. Happy XDm owner here and I remember comparing back and forth at the gun counter. To me it came down to feel in my hand. The angle and the grip fit my hand better on the Springfield. On the other hand - pun intended - I have two friends who are happy G17 owners and when we go to the range together, we swap and I go "nice". Nothing dramatic, just a different feel. Someday when I feel like dipping again into the kid's inheritance, I might have to have one of those in the herd. Mostly I think its a Ford/ Chevy kind of decision.

Another argument for Glock: they have an owner's membership program (GSSF) that includes competitions and discounts on future purchases.

OK.

Take your G43 apart.
Every last stinking part!

Then your XDS Springfield apart.

Bring the XDS over when you cant get it back together. I can help. :D
You'll never get the stupid little ''Recall induced'' spring back in the squeeze safety.

And you'll never feel comfortable carrying a gun so overly complex again when compared to a Glock. ;)

I had an XDM and just didn't 'bond' with it, it shot fine and had no issues but when I was looking for a new gun it was easy to trade off. Fast forward to now and I have a Gen 4 G40 in 10mm and this gun is way giggly fun and with the different back-straps I found the Goldielocks one so the Glock points very intuitively.

Bought my xdm for a "game" gun...speed steel and idpa . Carried it daily. Sights, grip safety, more round capacity than a 19

Got an xds (9mm also) for Pocket carry on my scooter. While the stippling is a bit aggressive, not too bad, but for sure not my choice for a 100 round range session. I really like the grip safety.

I prefer the fit.

I have an XD 40 4.25" in OD that shoots fantastic
an XD40SC Mod.2 black & Stainless
an XD9SC Mod.2 in FDE

I've owned a black XD40 and another XD40 in OD that I parted with. Glocks don't fit right in my hands. I'll continue to purchase XD's because they fit in my holsters that are level 3 retention.

I like having no safety but my finger and how I grip the pistol.

I keep going back to Glock, but the first gun I ever bought was an XD9. I've owned a bunch of both - and I reeeally like the new Mod 2 XD's. I'd carry either one, but lean back to Glocks because I have this sick, black part of my soul that just cannot escape them. Go figure. :cool:

Since the time I broke in my G21sf when it was new, there hasn't been a single failure over several thousand rounds. Literally not one.
It's there for the utility, not for looks (bling); so that's the prime factor: 100% reliability.
Ease of maintenance, rugged finish.

Weird kind of mushy trigger, but works every time. I would be astonished if it ever failed to go bang.

I went to SHOT in 2014 and tried every single pistol there from the Kimbers to the Caracals. I hate HATE H A T E!!!! Gritty triggers. I found that the XDs had the smoothest triggers of ALL the pistols there. Long pull? Maybe. Too heavy? A little, but they were smooth. It is like all the manufacturers that you used to think did their jobs and produced nicely crafted pistols have simply stopped doing so expecting you to get an aftermarket trigger.

I also think the HDs look like a shaved bubblegum but the trigger is the most important thing to me and I went with them and have been happy ever since. Glocks are great, but not as nice as the XDs.

Practically you aren't going to go wrong with either. They are both solid as rocks.

I decided to make the leap from 9mm to .45acp
I fondled both the XDm 45 and the Glock 41 tactical-practical in a side by side comparison. Both are OK --the XDm seemed a bit better made and the Glock felt better to me in the hand-- but I didn't feel with either that all important love at first sight we were meant for each other awesome "click" between man and metal (or plastic). I moved on and was seduced into the clutches of a Colt 1911. Love is a many splendored thing.

I had an XD40 and no issues with it. I had a few people new & experienced, have trouble with the grip safety. My thought was if anyone in my family had to use it in an emergency that could be a problem.

I've shot a few Glocks but just didn't like them off the bat. Millions of people can't be wrong, though. I prefer hammer fired pistols. CZs & Sigs.

Glocks fit my hand better. Glocks shoot better for me. And whether actually true or not (I haven't checked), it seemed to me the bore axis was higher on the Springfields, which has never appealed to me in a handgun. Glocks are easy to care for, tons of aftermarket parts/accessories (if you need them) and they're just plain reliable. Glock may be the ugly sister, but she has it where it counts.

For me the two determining factors for the striker guns are grip feel and weight, XD's do not feel good in my hand BUT that's strictly pertaining to the texture. The heavy slide reminds me of a Sig which for daily carry isn't my cup of tea, the XDm in 9mm 5" shot extremely well for me and if the XDs and XDm came with the Mod2 grips I think I'd be more inclined to buy one. Something that the XD's have going for them is size of grip as I've never held a double stack 45 except for the Springfield that felt good. Either way I'd be fine with both for protection but since I have a choice I choose Glock.

I'm not "trigger sensitive", I'm not "grip angle sensitive", and I'm not terribly concerned about pretty cut-lines and such.

1. Simplicity of design, maintenance, and usage. Glock

2. Proven accuracy and reliability. Glock

3. Ubiquitousness (that means "can be found anywhere" for you drop-outs ;)). Glock

4. Aftermarket (or OEM) support/options. Glock

5. (Most important) Durability. Glock

I've had both. Springfields have more character, more detailed machining, more details even in the grip frame...

Glocks are bricks... With slides that remind me of an aircraft carrier deck.

Both are great guns and it really boils down to how well they fit your hand and how well you shoot them...

Can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top