JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After settling down now from 10 military moves in 5yrs. I decided it was time to go ahead and make stock in self defense weapons. I have been looking for a VERY long time now for a CCW handgun. It's also my "Go to Gun" for any midnight home invasions along side my Mossberg 12ga. Pump. My background with weapons systems or platform's come from serving in the Marines for awhile. While I was in, we shot mostly carbines, some shotgun and handgun, Beretta, which was of course, issued "junk hand me down" next to my 1950s shelter-half. the slides fell off durning range firing. Or the mag's fell out. I don't blame the manufactor. Just the fact that it wasn't going to be my first or last choice for defending myself in Iraq,Kuwait,Afghan etc...I had enough time behind the trigger to know what needed to be done to get the round expelled and headed toward's enemy. Anyway's..my issue, I have short finger's and have issues with some pistol grip's. I have rented and shot 1911's, FNH, steyr, Springfield XD's and..Glock's. Which seem to fit my hand the best. I tried out a S&W M&P today at my local shop. It felt pretty good TBH. BTW, I like and prefer 9mm. I know this can be a touchy subject, but it's what I believe will get the job done. AND, I can't seem to get my meaty paw's around a dbl stack 45 to well. My question for you Glock and S&W owners, have you went from one of these manufactor's over to the other for some other reason or another latter down the road? Past bad or just even better from one "feeling" to the other? I like the simplicity of the Glock ALOT. I believe your safety is your go bang finger. I don't want to fuss with a DA or "extra" safety switches etc..what's your take with these two weapon's? Again..Thank's.

I have had 9 Glock's but I too like the S&W M&P. I think it has a better out of the box trigger. Both Glock and Smith are solid reliable performers. My only preference for the Smith is because of its better trigger and better sights. I do like the Springfield XDM models for the way they feel but their trigger is a bit soft. I recently fired an XD45 and found it surprisingly easy to handle. I also have small hands and short fingers. Oddly though, my current home defense pistol is a Beretta M9. Probably a bit more reliable than the ones you encountered. I like its accuracy, ease of shooting and reliability. There are lots of good guns out there, have fun choosing.

So having shot both Glocks and Smith and Wesson M&P professionally, I believe both are good pistols. The Glock is my first love because it's been around longer and it fits my hand better than the Smith. It's really going to boil down to personal preference in fit and caliber. I like 9, 40, and 45 for basics and as long as you shoot well, any of them will do right by you.

Would you gentlemen recommend a "slight" trigger job? I have looked at it. I thought perhap's down the road after I get more time behind the weapon. Also looked into changing out my sight's to something a little bit better. My eye sight is not near it was back then and being this is a "defense weapon", I thought it be a worthy investment. Thank's for your input, much appreciated. About the Beretta's. I think they aren't a bad gun. Just what we had then wasn't maintained before we were issued them. They were hand me down's I would think. The slide would fall off when I racked a round. The safeties had a habit of falling out. The mag's would fall out in the middle of shooting. But, it was what we had to use then. I kept it in my cargo pocket for "just in case". Now, they issue way better equipment to my fellow brother's and sister's in the Corp's.
The Glock does feel really good. The S&W seem's to get my "meaty portion" between my thumb and finger a little higher and in further tucked under the dove-tail,under the slide. Not sure if that will be a good thing or not. I guess, time will only tell...

The 3.5 pound connector is a common upgrade in the Glock. Not sure about the cost but not expensive. In the Smith and Wesson, the Apex trigger is a common upgrade that I have shot and they're nice. Figure out what kind of sight you prefer and go for that... no big deal there. For either pistol, its important to get the web of your hand up high on the backstrap for recoil control. Glocks and Smiths are designed a little different so its just a matter of training with it a little.

Hope that helps!!

First, Thanks for your service for our country.

Now to address your questions;

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm a .45 ACP 1911 shooter. But I do have some insight as to what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I didn't buy a Glock oh so many years ago because I wanted a hi-cap .45 and the grip diameter on the Glock was stupid large to me and I don't have "short fingers". If I'd wanted a 9mm it wouldn't have been an issue. I've shot one since (in 9mm) and thought it was a damn fine pistol.

I believe that S&W makes a fine pistol in their M&P series. But the Glock has been around for so long, and sold so many pistols in that time, that it is the one that has more parts, sights, upgrades and accessories. There is something to be said for being the "Small block Chevy" of the gun world. You want (fill in the blank) for your Glock? No problem and you should have many manufacturers to choose from.

If you like the 9mm Glock and it fits your hand, buy the darn thing. We can argue the 1911 .45 vs. Glock 9mm another time!:s0155:

M&P aftermarket will be up there near Glock before too long. I've owned both- I still have the Glocks but it came down to I have LOTS of mags already and holsters for my G's. The M&P was a little more comfortable in the hand to me though. Both are great guns

My son's step father has had glocks since they came about.And between him and I,the kid has shot a lot of different guns.So for about 20+ years now,he been shooting.
He bought a Springfield XD40.His room mate bought a M&P and has smaller hands.
My son wants a M&P now.Fits him best and he likes they way it shoots over the others.

I went the Glock way (it was the kool aid) They fit my big paws best.And I shoot them well. I have rented the XDs and done well with them and the M&P also.
I believe all three are great weapons.
You may want to try the Walthers also.Ugly as the other three and I have seen some good reviews on them.

Now as far as caliber,that isn't as important as how good you are with placement,right?

And I have done two 'Ghost,Rocket Triggers' on my 19 and 34.Well three,since I did the 20 also.
This makes the Glock very nice. 3.5# just as advertised. $20 for the connector only and $30 for the whole spring kit. 1/2hour to do.

The Glock wins in the Accessories category (for now) , but the ergonomics of the Glock make it worthless for me.

Big, long-boned hands aim the corner of the slide at the bone of my thumb. My only slide bite nasty enough to leave a decades-long scar.

M&P has enough of a beavertail to keep me safe, no annoying Loaded Chamber Indicator like the XD (also a good gun, just not to my taste) and the large backstrap fills the loose parts of my palm nicely.

I carry the Full-size.40 M&P with no thumb safety, and no Mag safety in an IWB on my active days.

I prefer the M&P's ergonomics (grip angle) to the Glock. Both are fine weapons. For what it's worth, my HD pistol is a full size M&P 45 (also have a 12 gauge at the ready), and my EDC has been a M&P 40c but that is changing very soon to a M&P Shield 40. That thing is sweet! I'm a big fan of the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. On my short list is a M&P 22.

Pass the orange juice. :p

... no annoying Loaded Chamber Indicator like the XD
Yeah, I don't know about having something sticking up which can catch on something. It may be fine but I prefer the M&P's loaded chamber indicator where you can look in the hole and see if there is a round there.

As for me, I've shot my Brother-in-law's Glock and I have my Full Size M&P45 which, when I felt it for the first time, made me take notice. Then I fired it and am loving it. I'm in the market now for an M&P9c or Shield for both me and my wife. Glocks are good, solid pistols. But for me, it is M&P. (hmm, that rhymed :D) (I may dip into the Glock Koolaid at some time in the future though. I have a lot on my list of different firearms for my collection.)

The pistol that fits you will be the better shooter and, more than likely, you will shoot more and enjoy shooting more. For that, I'd go with the M&P. There are plenty of accessory out there for most of your need. ANd with how fast it's gaining popularity, there will be more to come in the future. The factory trigger is fine. But if you are looking for improvement, look no further than this drop in trigger job - APEX DCAEK

If I were you I woud also look at a Walther PPQ. I also have small hands. I really like how it feels inmy hands it is very accurate, great trigger, and only a trigger safety like a Glock. With my small hands I have a hard to hitting the mag release in most guns without changing my grip. With the Euro mag release that the PPQ has I can release the mag with my trigger finger without changing my grip. I only have a 1000 rounds or so through mine with no malfunctions with several diffrent types of ammo. They are striker fire like a Glock but the trigger is soooo much nicer. Did I mention I love the trigger. Go look at one, it may not be for you, or you may like it as much as I do. I like so much my next handgun will be another PPQ .40. When I bought mine Cabeleas had them on sale, I paid $535 out the door. They were cheaper then anyone else in town at the time. I think there regular price is $620. You shoud be able to buy one for less.

I own two Glocks, and my wife owns a Glock. I love my Gen4 G23, and with a 40-9 conversion barrel I can practice at a lower cost. (Doesn't help me practice my recoil compensation, but being aware of that, is in my opinion, the most important part). That said, my only experience until recently was with a M&P9c which lacks the beavertail of the compact and full sized. I hated the subcompact M&P and swore off the M&P line. Just recently I got to handle a full size .40 that had a trigger job and a RMR reflex sight and fell in love with the balance, grip angle and trigger feel. Based on that experience - I will shortly own both Glocks, and M&Ps and only time will tell which I decide to carry.
Both guns will put a smile on your face after some trigger work, and with the right sights and holster.
I'm about 99% sure that which ever gun I decide to carry will come down to which one points more natuaraly for me as they both feel "good" to me.

Good luck in your search!

I own two Glocks, and my wife owns a Glock. I love my Gen4 G23, and with a 40-9 conversion barrel I can practice at a lower cost. (Doesn't help me practice my recoil compensation, but being aware of that, is in my opinion, the most important part). That said, my only experience until recently was with a M&P9c which lacks the beavertail of the compact and full sized. I hated the subcompact M&P and swore off the M&P line. Just recently I got to handle a full size .40 that had a trigger job and a RMR reflex sight and fell in love with the balance, grip angle and trigger feel. Based on that experience - I will shortly own both Glocks, and M&Ps and only time will tell which I decide to carry.
Both guns will put a smile on your face after some trigger work, and with the right sights and holster.
I'm about 99% sure that which ever gun I decide to carry will come down to which one points more natuaraly for me as they both feel "good" to me.

Good luck in your search!

I own both Glocks and M&Ps and I agree with the above post.

If it's for personal defense and you plan to carry it rather than just being a range gun, treat it like the tool it is and get the one that fits your hand best, and gets the job done the best for you. Nothing else really matters.

I just want everyone that contributed their opinions and experiences with these or ary other handgun, I am tracking this thread. I really do appreciate the responses.
Both weapons feel about the same in my hand. Glock has been on the block for awhile now, tried and tested. It is an excellent platform. Very reliable and there is a ton of support for it. There are top notch shooters that choose this weapon over others or carry it WITH others. That says ALOT in my book. S&W has also been here,even longer,but in the poly platform it is trying,and I see it is,make leap's to "come up Glock standard's", as some would say. I personally think they ALL have there own shortcomings or advantages, but that is in the personal opinion of each and every shooter and what work's for them.
Maybe, like some here, I will be able to own both in the near future. Just at this moment in time, "more" income play's
apart, but I am working at that ;) trying to make the dollar stretch as far as I can and squeeze weapons with rounds (training cost's, effective weapon to get the job done "just in case") together..ahhh..
I will though have my "tool box" with the assorted " right tool's to get the job done" once again....shortly. This is easier then trying to figure out which ballistic vest is the "best bang for the buck" and won't get me killed..ha ha..

Cheer's everyone!!

I am a huge Glock fan myself. Honestly, they are the only handgun that I really care to own right now. For the price, they can not be beat, in my opinion. I have not tried an M&P, but looking at them, they look a kinda "trendy" instead of meant for business. If you like 9mm, get a 19 and you will be happy forever! Simple, reliable, tuff, accurate...what else can you ask for?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top