JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Semper-Fi brother. I'm also a Glock fan. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. But it comes close. I like the S&W, but it's just a clone of a Glock IMO. I have a buddy, fellow Marine, who was set on Sig's. I convinced him to by a 27, and if he didn't like it, I'd buy it off him for the price he paid. Now Sigs are great great guns, but cost quite a bit more than a Glock. He is now on the market for a 23 or a 22. The simplicity of the Glock is hard to beat. Though H&K has the prestige of the first polymer, I believe Gaston took to the next step and made it close to "perfect".

On a side note, I would not change a "stock" Glock for a number of reasons. One, most malfunctions are a cause of "upgrades". Two, more importantly, any "upgrades" can and will be used against you in a court of law. Now, I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread, and you can disagree, but if you study the law and past cases, you'll know what I say is true and has happened. Lightening a trigger or any additions will be used by the prosecution to add a win to the prosecutors belt. (Please debate this in another thread) and I'll answer any and all questions.

Bottom line, I like the stock Glocks for a number of reasons. From top to least, it would be: history of reliability, simplicity and accuracy.

NC.

I did actually consider a SIG P6. For the DA and decocker etc..Where I like concealing my pistol and folding Emerson is above my "junk". Or called the AIWB carry I presume. ( my reasons maybe different than yours but I like the thought of not being able to get to my weapon when thrown on my back, or grabbed from behind..it also hurts like a MOFO when you fall back on it, "mexican carry"...plus,other reason's) Just like the debate between different pistol manufactors to calibers...even carry styles. With the Glock and even the M&P, the safety is designed into the trigger. I am a firm believer that the finger is the safety and ALWAYS practice, "finger off the trigger until you are ready" or without a doubt dead certain. Too many factors and variables. Once that's rounds expelled..we all know. Until I get back up to speed I wouldn't feel too comfortable having a round in the chamber carrying like I do. Last thing I need is a round going off and shooting off my "narbles". That's one reason I wouldn't like a hair-pin trigger either. On the hip would be a different story perhap's.
Like stated above, and is correct, modifaction's could be used against you in a court of law. It would be hard to press and hate to try and prove my innocence on a righteous shooting of a perp. I will look into those after market triggers though and see what has been said about it being a.."legal issues" I guess to put it lightly. Just might it have a polishing of the internals and call it a day. Also, in a shooting incident, they will mostly likely confiscate the weapon and I might not get it back for awhile. Hate to have a ton of money tied up into it to have it sit in a "crime evidence" box for up to a year..or longer.ughh. I just want to make sure I cover my ***. I have my lawyer on speed dial #2, right under 911...

The 3.5 pound connector is a common upgrade in the Glock. Not sure about the cost but not expensive. In the Smith and Wesson, the Apex trigger is a common upgrade that I have shot and they're nice. Figure out what kind of sight you prefer and go for that... no big deal there. For either pistol, its important to get the web of your hand up high on the backstrap for recoil control. Glocks and Smiths are designed a little different so its just a matter of training with it a little.

Hope that helps!!

This...and, what fits your mits and which one can you shoot better with a quick-response/natural grip? Those criteria should lead your decision...not anyone's fan club.
I have an M&P that I've refitted with the APEX components. I chose it because I was "forced" to shoot one during a competitive event as S&W were sponsors...surprisingly, I shot it a lot better than any other modern pistol. I also have an XD. I chose it because it fits my odd hands better than a Glock or an H&K or a Sig.
Buying the pistol based on fit and performance in your hands in only the first step...them comes the modifying and customizing!

I am a huge Glock fan myself. Honestly, they are the only handgun that I really care to own right now. For the price, they can not be beat, in my opinion. I have not tried an M&P, but looking at them, they look a kinda "trendy" instead of meant for business. If you like 9mm, get a 19 and you will be happy forever! Simple, reliable, tuff, accurate...what else can you ask for?

What else could you ask for? Ergonomics that aren't stuck in the early 90s for one.

As a GLOCK shooter I am always looking for something else that is as nice to shoot. My buddy Earl bought the new M&P in .357sig. Man that stock trigger was a bear to pull, long and very heavy. He shopped his suppliers and found a kit to modify the trigger pull, it is now 4.5 pounds and very sweet!!
Can be done by Earl Nash my Sense' he runs the Lone Wolf GLOCK booth at the Rose City Shows, also does Centralia, and occasionally Albany shows.

That video should be a sticky..ha ha. I found a used (more like new never fired from what it looks like in the breech) Cabelas edition, flat dark earth, M&P 9mm range kit for a pretty good price.I picked it up. I do like Glock's also. I might pick one up down the road. I also found a set of Crimson laser grips and XS big dot sights I think I might throw on there latter. Thanks for everyone's suggestion. Much appreciated.

Do you have a video, AK vs. AR? ha ha...

I've never owned an M&P, but I've owned a couple Glocks. In my opinion the M&P would be a great weapon to own, but I feel they havent been around long enough to prove themselves reliable. A friend of mine has an M&P pro in 9mm that he loves, so I would say they're off to a good start. My personal experience with Glock has always been good. Like most people, I dont like their grip ergonomics, but I was still proficient with my Glock 22 after some practice. If you have military ID, some gun stores will sell you a new Glock at LE prices. I know this because I bought my G4 G22 brand new with my military ID, and I got a huge price break. Personally I think they're both great weapons. Purchase whichever fits your hand the best, and practice, practice, practice...

I own both.....
M&P .40 full size with mag drop safety
Mods: Originally had a trigger job done via a gunsmith. The did an Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit(during this upgrade I also got the newer larger spring sear housing block and striker spring. I also have the Crimson Tracer laser grip on it.
Glock 17 & 23(also have the conversion barrel)
Mods to the 17: Marine spring cups, grip plug, stainless guiderod, Ameriglow orange/tritium front sight.
Mods to the 23: Marine spring cups, grip plug, stainless guiderod, Kyle Defoor rear sight and Ameriglow orange/tritium front sight.

To start, I hate Glocks because they are blocks, they are ugly and the ergonomics stink, plus I used to really suck at shooting them(that was me), but hold on.......I bought my Glocks after I bought the M&P.

Here's why I own Glocks as well as my M&P: 1. They WORK! Pretty much always. 2. Parts are EVERYWHERE! 3. Accessories are available all the time and everywhere.

I agree with many that the M&P in time will be as prolific as the Glock, but it's still going to take another 5-10yrs. before the M&P is as entrenched as the Glocks.

M&P's - I have a 1st generation M&P and I think the new ones are probably much better than the older first generation ones. They are now on their 3rd generation striker and 2nd generation sear housing block. In fact the new ones in the stores just look a bit better/"crisper" than mine. I'm pretty sure the mag disconnect safety is part of the reason the trigger initially drove me nuts, I don't like the thing, but I bought the gun because it was a good deal. I was even going to turn a burn on it because I could have gone out and gotten something else..........Then I held it.........the M&P ergonomics are flat amazing........I knew from the moment I picked it up, it was a keeper.

What I don't like about the M&P: 1. Trigger(but we fixed that as well as we could), 2. Striker......the M&P has a lighter primer strike than the Glock, BY A LOT! I have some ammo. that has notoriously harder primers. A Glock 22-23 can fly through this stuff. My M&P is about a 60-80% gun on harder primers. 3. Magazines, I just like the Glock plasticoated mags. for ease of care/dent reduction.

This isn't a logical comparison mind you and I think I've equally critiqued my little complaints about them. I have carried both. Currently I am carrying the Glock 23. I'd love it if they made an M&Pc with the 4.25" barrel/slide personally. Full sized G17's/M&P's are a bit more bulk than is easy for my short fat frame to conceal, plus that butt digs in when you sit down.

In the future I'll get an M&P9 as well.
ps. how do you like the small backstrap? It's slick.

I like the S&W, but it's just a clone of a Glock IMO.

Because it has a polymer frame ? Or striker ? Or what ? M&P has at least half a dozen major differences from a Glock. Here are some of them :

1) 98% pre-cocked striker
2) Adjustable grip size from the start
3) Revertible mag release button
4) Properly sized chamber
5) Milled rails
6) Dovetail front (I already lost one expensive front on my Glock)

If you ask me, M&P has more specific design ideas from P220/226, than from a Glock - its barrel locking mechanism along with disassembly lever is almost identical to the Sig. And despite clearly more expensive manufacturing techniques in the M&P, it's very competitive in terms of the price.

What ammo is that ?

It's ammo made by RWS called Copper Matrix. I should have clarified, I don't necessarily blame S&W for this, because it's ammo I got cheap.....Copper Matrix is a "clean"/non-lead ammo. and from what I have heard when making primers with no lead they have this tendancy(hard/deteriorating primers).

But, if you take the EMPTY Glock and the M&P side by side, barrel to the ceiling(yes in a safe area/room with no ammo.) and place a pencil eraser first down the bore and pull the trigger.....the energy imparted by the Glock is MILES ahead of the M&P.

Because it has a polymer frame ? Or striker ? Or what ? M&P has at least half a dozen major differences from a Glock. Here are some of them :

1) 98% pre-cocked striker
2) Adjustable grip size from the start
3) Revertible mag release button
4) Properly sized chamber
5) Milled rails
6) Dovetail front (I already lost one expensive front on my Glock)

If you ask me, M&P has more specific design ideas from P220/226, than from a Glock - its barrel locking mechanism along with disassembly lever is almost identical to the Sig. And despite clearly more expensive manufacturing techniques in the M&P, it's very competitive in terms of the price.

Naturally there are differences. If it was an "exact" clone, S&W would have a lawsuit on it's hands. I agree it is very competitive in terms of price. How do you think Glock won over most police departments and why S&W is flooding the market with it's guns. By clone I meant it's relatively of the same design, a striker fired polymer gun that functions the same way. I don't blame S&W for "cloning" this design, it's a good design as proven over the years. However, as someone else said in an earlier post, it will take 5-10 years for S&W to catch up to the reputation of a Glock and I hope they do.

If you like the Smith, by all means, buy it. I gain or loose nothing. I was stating my opinion as the OP asked. For now I will stick with my Glocks as some will stick with the 1911 and that's OK. If you wish to venture out to try a "new" design, do so. For myself, I like what's been proven to work, be it a Glock or a 1911.

I trust glock with my life vary simple to use and the only mods I needed was the extended slide stop and the 3.5 connector for my 22 and 26. I haven't had a chance to shoot any m&P's but what I hear is that they are just as reliable but glock is what I put in my night stand

I'm in the "buy what you shoot the best" group. Personally my hand doesn't get along to well with Glocks, and I have never even handled an M&P. XDm's I've handled have felt better to me than any other double stacks I've handled. And as far as the 9mm vs 45 ACP debate, I broke all the rules. I generally carry a 9mm 1911 :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top