JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The big problem you will find (not advertised) with most portable generators is they are not built for continuous use or long term heavy use. The cheeper the machine the worse this problem will be. To be cheeper they have to use less expensive parts somewhere and that is usually in the quality and amount of windings in the generator.

If you truly want something that is going to last you will need to look into something like Honda or true industrial units. They are going to cost a lot more but will also no burn out after a year of heavy use.

I dont have one yet but it is on my short list.
Compact Honda. Small, light weight, quietest of any on the market and able to run long hours.
My hunting buddies have them and we have used them extensively. I have used the 1000i model (not sure on that model number) which is the smallest and have run my trailer at full load with no issues. Thats, furnace, all lights, microwave etc....
I am assuming you are talking about a portable.

I have been punishing a honda 2000 since 2006. Runs 12-14 hours on a tank. Will run rv and micrawave but not a/c. Changed the oil once. Easy. Runs on a Three day weekend camping about 25-30 hours. No issues. Bought several cheapies first could have just had a good one for what I spent. If you don't need microwave then get the 1k or smaller. Actually abusing it so it will quit so I can get the 3k with remote start. But she wont give up.

I have two that I use. One is a Generac 4500 that I have used for my home and the other is a Honda 2000 for the RV.

The Generac was purchased in 2001 and I've used it many times, over the years. The longest usage was 24/7 for 4 days. It never has missed a beat.

The Honda is very quiet as previously mentioned and is a essential addition for the RV when needed. It's dimensions and noise level makes it a critical part of my SHTF bug out equipment.

To assure that each will operate at a moments notice, I run both for 10 minutes on a set schedule each month. It's a good habit to get into.

Best of luck in your endevour...

SOG165

Generac 5000-watt, runs on gasoline, purchased in 1997. It's seen periodic use for power outages and home projects, and we had it running continuously for 2 1/2 days after a major storm. It has been a great unit, and I had some work done on it after 15 years to replace the fuel lines and give it an extensive tune-up.

Peter

I am looking not sure what I am going to get yet, I keep going back and forths on what to get.

I was even thinking about a small diesel, I saw a Titan 5500 diesel for $900.00 Does anyone know anything about these, the price makes me thingk it would be junk, but not knowing anything about them i hate to make an uninformed decision.

Honewell 7500. Gasoline. I hope to kit it up some day to support gasoline, propane, and NG.

It's a costco special with pretty good reviews. It's loud. It is likely not going to run for 6 months straight, but I'm not insisting on that kind of performance at this point anyway.

My main concern is getting through short to medium term situations up to perhaps a few weeks.

For very long term SHTF scenario, a generator isn't going to help me. There's no way I could store enough fuel of any type to to last all that long and, if things go that far south, the likelihood of consistent access to fuel is remote. I'd be better off with an energy supply that is completely independent from any sort of supply chain such as solar.

I had a Honda eu3000 is was great generator super quiet and always ran great. But it was too much for one guy to move around easy. I sold it and bought a Yamaha EF2400is. The Yamaha is as quiet as the Honda. It weights half what the Honda did and is still big enough to run the a/c in my travel trailer

I had a Honda eu3000 is was great generator super quiet and always ran great. But it was too much for one guy to move around easy. I sold it and bought a Yamaha EF2400is. The Yamaha is as quiet as the Honda. It weights half what the Honda did and is still big enough to run the a/c in my travel trailer

But do you understand part of the reason the Yamaha is lighter? Less material in the generator core which will equal less life.

Not saying it is a bad thing but one has to understand the difference in products.

3500W Generac with a Honda motor, along with a gen-trans switch.

Can't power up everything, and certainly not once, ovens-no, towel warmer-maybe but I would need to back feed=a bad idea.

But I can power up the blower on the LPG fueled furnace, along with a few lights, TV, Satelite. Refridgerator, freezer.

If I want water turn others off and run the well, the start up on the well is large.

I have casually looked into a PTO driven generator for the tractor then I could have more power than I need.

I believe buying a generator, even if you never use it, is better than buying silver or gold. It will be a priceless item some day, if you can protect it.

5000W Generac with a Honda motor, along with a gen-trans switch.
No Main stove, dryer, or water tank as the switch was originally
wired for a 3500 which is now at Grandma's. Gives us heat, lights,
runs two freezers and the fridge. Cook with the Micro-wave.

Generac is noisy as hell, but that's the way it is. Going out to check
everything right now as a storm is expected tonight.

The plug got loose on the Generac once. I lost one leg and put 220ACV
on the whole house...Took out 3 clocks, Pellet stove control, 4 fluorescent
lights and 2 GFI's. DAM!!! Below freezing at the time. I repaired the circuit
board for the stove. That was the main thing. I'm more careful now.

Jack...:cool:

Another idea i been wrapping my head around is to get a couple of deep cycle batterys (and more as I can afford) and a small honda gen. Then I could use the Batterys to power lights (preferably LED) and bare essentials like a radio or whatever I need at the time. Then I could use the batterys thro the night charge with gen. in the morning and at different interevals thro the day and only use it as needed. This way I could really stretch my fuel out and get the most out of it.

If I take it that far... I will also want one of those bicycle gen. (human powered) for when I run out of fuel.

I really like the idea of this because I would have 3 power sources (and more if I made a wind or solar set up!) 1) Generator 2) Battery and 3) ME or any able body! Plus it is highly expandable and the possibilities would be endless (depending on $$ as with everything!)

Another idea i been wrapping my head around is to get a couple of deep cycle batterys (and more as I can afford) and a small honda gen. Then I could use the Batterys to power lights (preferably LED) and bare essentials like a radio or whatever I need at the time. Then I could use the batterys thro the night charge with gen. in the morning and at different interevals thro the day and only use it as needed. This way I could really stretch my fuel out and get the most out of it.

I did this I have a setup with solar as well as gen and two batteries to back up.
I advise against any electric start only as big generators that are noisey and if your battery dies your screwed.
Now in money is no object a gas powered inverter is both quiet and efficient and often lighter.

If I take it that far... I will also want one of those bicycle gen. (human powered) for when I run out of fuel.

I really like the idea of this because I would have 3 power sources (and more if I made a wind or solar set up!) 1) Generator 2) Battery and 3) ME or any able body! Plus it is highly expandable and the possibilities would be endless (depending on $$ as with everything!)

That's my exact plan. I have a couple deep cycle batteries. Looking next at wiring a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for 12 volt. Seem to get the mot amp hours out of that rather than single 12 volt batteries. I have a 700 watt inverter, so I CFL lights and the like for a a night or two and keep cell phones and laptops charged.

Part of the reason for 7500 watt generator was to be able to run it at about 50% capacity, run the home essentials including furnace fan, and charge batteries at the same time. If I absolutely need to, the generator will also run the oven and the furnace as well as 4 or 5 other circuits.

Got a onan 10,000 watt diesel generator that works together with 2 outback inverters.. powered by 8 L16 batteries. I keep the batteries charged with a small water powered pelton wheel... Turning a 12 volt altenator. Only downside I can think of is..Gen use's 1/2 gal diesel per hour.

I am looking not sure what I am going to get yet, I keep going back and forths on what to get.

I was even thinking about a small diesel, I saw a Titan 5500 diesel for $900.00 Does anyone know anything about these, the price makes me thingk it would be junk, but not knowing anything about them i hate to make an uninformed decision.

They are made in China and won't last very long.

The house we bought 10 years ago was wired for a generator and the sellers offered theirs to us at the time so we bought the 6500 Craftman and have used it about once, maybe twice a year for power outages.

This year I bought a backup propane model on CL, it's a portable 3500 wt model and states that it will run 10 hours on a 5 gallon propane tank.

So a little redundancy backup mainly for the essentials, well, kitchen, freezers, fridge & hot water.

Now if I had the money like the people across the street do, I'd love to have their 15K onan that self starts the second the power goes out, runs on propane and they keep a 500 gallon tank on the lot. It also run a test every two weeks on its own and lets you know if it needs service, a setup like this could go for months, very cool.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top