JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Humless fueless generator that comes with a solar panel and a hand crank charger in case sun doesn't shine, like that ever happens in Seattle. :) I wanted it because I live in a cookie cutter housing development and I didn't want to draw attention to my generator in case someone decides they want it for themselves. (Of course they would have to get past my bear spray, then my Glock, and my weapon of last resort, my awseome Ithaca shotgun.) I digressed there for a moment... back to my generator. It can be recharged over 2,000 times before going bad and only loses 5 percent of a charge if left on the shelf for a year too. Has lots of different types of adapters you can plug into it and even comes with 12 volt and USB type cell phone charger cables plus rechargable batteries. It won't power the house but I'll have lights and TV so I can watch what's going on when the SHTF. :cool:

Don't hold back, man. Share what ya got so others can pick up the same setup!

I saw this generator at Costco today. 6200 running watts, runs on gas and propane out of the box for $699. Has anybody tried it?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1360654846823.jpg

My apologies...... You are so right, they are in parallel, I have not a clue as to what I was thinking. When in parallel they are still at 125volts.

I'm editing my above posts, way too tired while posting apparently. Thank you for catching that and so tactfully to boot.

I don't own one of these, but if they are the inverter type there is no reason they could not be designed to provide 240V 2-phase power the same way that 2 120 circuits can be combined to provide 240.

I have a Kubota 6500 diesel generator that I've used for occasional outages over the last 13 years or so. I like diesel because they typically run slower, use less fuel, the fuel doesn't go bad as quickly and if feel ok about re-fueling it while it is running.
A few years back we lost power for 9 days and I ran it continuously, only shutting it down once to change the oil.

I bought a Lombardini diesel 10.5 KW about 10 years ago. I will run my whole house as long as i use common sense. In a typical 24 hour period it will use about 4.5 gallons of fuel. It has a newage camfield brushless generator. The motor is italian made and has been bullet proof. I opted for 10.5 rather than a 12.5 as the fuel consumption on the 12.5 was conciderable more. I havent look back.

Our motorhome has a 8.5KW liquid cooled diesel (Kubota 3 cyl engine). At full load it burns .71 gal. It'll do for a while but really wouldn't do for really long term use if diesel isn't available since I only have a 150 gallon tank. The MH also has 4 U-2200 Interstate batteries (232 amp hours each).
The last time I tried to start it I found that it will start but not keep running. Acts like it did about 8 years ago when the coils lost their magnetism. Need to "flash" the unit with a 12 V power source, not hard to do just have to move the MH to get to it though.

I have a pair of Honda EU2000i units and a parallel cable. It was mentioned earlier about trying to set up the inverters to produce 240V. That would be feasible but each unit would have to be wired to both legs of the other as inputs to synch to, but with the outputs NOT tied together in parallel, and the software would run them 180° out of phase (just like 240V regular AC), with the outputs connected together into one 240V socket.

I keep a 6kW separate generator in my shed but have never had a long enough outage to warrant using it. One thing I wish I still had is a good supply of AvGas, as the additives seem to keep it usable much longer than pump gas. I do make sure to only use non-ethanol gas in my generators.

I read through most of this thread and most folks correctly identified the problem that most small generators available today are not for continuous use. If such use is attempted on them, they won't last long. Other than the use of inferior materials, the RPM is the main issue. Most small generators turn at 3600RPM, or 60 revolutions per second. That is a bit too fast for long equipment life.

The answer? Get an industrially rated unit. You'll find that most are 1800RPM and have engines and bearings consistent with long life. A 900RPM unit is even going to last longer but most of those are large and very expensive.

So it would seem 1800RPM is a good goal. But when pricing units, especially diesel, one finds they are expensive too! What can one do?

The answer I came up with was to find an old ONAN unit off an RV. They can be had very cheaply. I got my 6500W continuous rated unit for $200.

Ditto. Mine is also a 6.5KW Onan rewired for 240V and converted to propane and mounted on a small trailer for towing behind my garden tractor. Finished the project a couple of months ago and had to use it already. Not sure if I posted this before. If I did....sorry.

100_3934internet.jpg

I have had about a Dozen generators. The question should be "How are you going to have power?" and how long will you have it?

After Multiple Hondas and very nice small to large generators ... I settled for a twin set of Kippor Generators that can work as one higher power unit 4kW.

Reasons:
Redundancy, flexibility, portability, price and decibels.

I did manage to also set up 3 AGM battery banks and solar panels.
So The Gensets would be used for critical needs and all overflow "juice" goes into the AGM banks.

Depending on severity and type of SHTF ... people could be without power for up to 6 mos or longer.

I have what it takes to meet that demand. Rationing and using solar to help refill my AGM banks.

Ditto. Mine is also a 6.5KW Onan rewired for 240V and converted to propane and mounted on a small trailer for towing behind my garden tractor. Finished the project a couple of months ago and had to use it already. Not sure if I posted this before. If I did....sorry.

What benefits are realized by running one of these on Propane? Is that a good SHTF fuel?

What benefits are realized by running one of these on Propane? Is that a good SHTF fuel?

I think it just gives you one more fuel option and propane is cheaper than gas. Most propane conversions work with gas as well with little adjustment. Also, some folks have tapped directly into their house propane line which gives you yet more flexibility during an outage.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Propane in sealed tanks does not degrade over long periods of time like gasoline and cannot absorb moisture either. Can be stored more safely. There is no cloggiing of carburators or fuel lines and no gum deposits to make genset useless. Lube oil does not get fuel contamination either. Much cleaner burning and far less carbonmonoxide emissions. No fuel pump to go bad. Propane is much cheaper (here) than gasoline ($2.69/gal).

The only drawback is that propane will mean slightly less HP in the same engine than when run on gasoline.

My engine can be converted back to gasoline quite easily, if needed. Carburator and fuel pump are still there and un-modified, so it is a simple task.

As mentioned above, they can be hooked directly to your existing natural gas or propane system.

The conversion is simple and easily done by anyone that has and can use hand tools.

Portable Propane Generator - Propane Powered Generator, Tri-fuel Conversion Kits

I have a lombardini 10.5 KW genset
I have had about a Dozen generators. The question should be "How are you going to have power?" and how long will you have it?

After Multiple Hondas and very nice small to large generators ... I settled for a twin set of Kippor Generators that can work as one higher power unit 4kW.

Reasons:
Redundancy, flexibility, portability, price and decibels.

I did manage to also set up 3 AGM battery banks and solar panels.
So The Gensets would be used for critical needs and all overflow "juice" goes into the AGM banks.

Depending on severity and type of SHTF ... people could be without power for up to 6 mos or longer.

I have what it takes to meet that demand. Rationing and using solar to help refill my AGM banks.

We have an 8KW PowerTech in our MH. Diesel, liquid cooled, 1800 rpm constant speed Kubota 3cyl engine with 150 gallon tank. Unit takes .72 GPH under full load. Hope we never have to use it for anything but dry camping when on vacation!

The only drawback is that propane will mean slightly less HP in the same engine than when run on gasoline.

Actually there is another drawback: they burn a LOT of propane. Our previous motorhome had a 6.2 KW propane unit (gas was rated at 6.5KW). In one five day period, not running 24 hrs a day we used two 10 gallon tanks and most or our onboard 40 (32 usable) gal tank. Will never have one again.

Actually there is another drawback: they burn a LOT of propane. Our previous motorhome had a 6.2 KW propane unit (gas was rated at 6.5KW). In one five day period, not running 24 hrs a day we used two 10 gallon tanks and most or our onboard 40 (32 usable) gal tank. Will never have one again.

A person needs to pay attention that the genset is a continuous duty cycle type and that the generator in not center tapped. In that case you would have to use all the outlets to get the rated output of the unit. Most os the time too the generators are rated at a surge current or peak. RMS is what a person needs to concider when getting a generator. That and fuel consumption (effeciency)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top