JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gym memberships wouldn't hurt to add in your budgets tbh.

Or at least investing in some basic gym equipment weights and adopt a regular training regime. For cardio you can do walks around the neighborhood aim for at least a couple miles daily. Don't have to run but running will help with endurance. If you have a local football field track go use that. 8 laps is 2 miles, again you can walk it every day.

Exercise is a good thing for the body and helps clear the head. Not saying you need to become rugged MMA fighters or Arnold's but like 3 or 4 days a week will help out long run.
Putting on a pack with some weight in it just requires your time

Doesn't change the facts.

An overweight 68 yr old with heart/lung issues, high blood pressure, failing eyesight, half deaf, sleep apnea/RLS/RSBD and a bad back is not a good candidate for the military, more like a future candidate for a nursing home
Crap! We're twins! I exercise my trigger finger through new eyes. Also ride MTB 6-8 miles several times weekly. Will have to suffice.
Being able to move is one of the most under looked aspects of being prepared. Not saying everyone needs to be Olympic athletes but somewhat efficient.
After 3 cancers, 5 remissions, 4 clinical trials, 20 chemotherapy drugs, a stem cell transplant and fourteen years of constant treatment, afraid I can no longer run a 5:28 mile. Or a 440 in 1:04 while jumping a 6 foot wall and climbing an 8 foot chain link fence. $#!†! what happened? Life did.

You have to be alive to have complaints.

Gym memberships wouldn't hurt to add in your budgets tbh.

Or at least investing in some basic gym equipment weights and adopt a regular training regime.
This. A thousand times this!

Join us over on the NWF exercise thread where we motivate each other to get fit and stay in shape.

As we get older and more out of shape we have to find ways to cut the weight down or cut the distance down. The easiest way to cut weight is to go someplace where there's plentiful water so you know you don't have to carry an extra 9 pounds of H2O you just have to carry a way to filter purifier and or boil. Dehydrated food is a great way to cut some weight but again water needs to be plentiful. Several hundred dollars on net you a top and pack from kifaru or mystery ranch which will shed a pound and a half or two. Several hundred more dollars net you a top end tent which can shed another pound and a half or two more if you can handle bugs and leave the nest at home. have found that any sleeping pad that actually helps me sleep and insulates me is a substantial amount of weight Say 4 to 5 pounds so if you can man up and sleep on the ground sheet. My kifaru woobie saves a lot of weight and space but it's small and you're either too hot or too cold. wool socks and underwear save a lot of space since you need less.Titanium bits, micro stoves, twig stoves. A lot about weight savings is where are you willing to be uncomfortable? Can you eat bugs,Have no problem sleeping Bent in half with a big rock in your back while being eaten alive by mosquitoes, are you OK sleeping in a soaking wet bag and spending all day in soaking wet clothes and shoes?

If you don't want to run a marathon in your gear, or battle the Crazy 88 as a career....Lace those shoes, the dance floor is clear.
:s0133:
This one is for @Certaindeaf 5.6.7.8's

Last Edited:
Some good points in here.

I'm an over packer for sure.

It's a lot easier to dump gear if it's going to be a very long trip home then to try to find the things I would want and didn't pack.

Just my way of thinking - YMMV.

A quality pack can make a huge difference as to how 'heavy' it feels as well.

g43hcw4z7ls91.jpg

I think the bigger task and purpose here is that the OP article has a firefighter running long miles in heavy gear.

This is a personal challenge and not a daily requirement tbh.

The typical weight I had to hump while exploring afghan was about 60-70lbs all kit included and assault pack. Guys with the heaviest would be the weapons squad with the 240B. If you weren't out in mission or the base wasn't getting a random mortar/rocket you'd be light in just a uniform and rifle. If you were in vehicles normally you'd leave packs and gear in them and just go with standard load outs.

The daily person going about a 40hr work week has no real reason to burden themselves with heavy weight carrying so much just going A to B.

I think the bigger task and purpose here is that the OP article has a firefighter running long miles in heavy gear.

This is a personal challenge and not a daily requirement tbh.

The typical weight I had to hump while exploring afghan was about 60-70lbs all kit included and assault pack. Guys with the heaviest would be the weapons squad with the 240B. If you weren't out in mission or the base wasn't getting a random mortar/rocket you'd be light in just a uniform and rifle. If you were in vehicles normally you'd leave packs and gear in them and just go with standard load outs.

The daily person going about a 40hr work week has no real reason to burden themselves with heavy weight carrying so much just going A to B.
I think the main takeaway is that one often overlooked prep is the overall general fattiness of the prepper.

101st Airborne, 1991, Desert Storm. ALICE Large
09a2da70952ccd48300b02a382067b02--military-gear-special-forces.jpg

Afghanistan, 2001, one of the airfields. USMC? MOLLE II packs 15th-MEU.jpg

Much later, Iraq. Marines. FILBE Packs
minasi.jpg

No matter what tech changes and gear gets lighter, brass will always require the most gear possible on the backs.

I think the main takeaway is that one often overlooked prep is the overall general fattiness of the prepper.
My personal point was to reduce weight where you can.

I am overweight and I need to reduce my body weight.

That aside, I will never be in the shape I was 30 years ago even if I lost 80-100 pounds. Just not going to happen with my heart/lungs and spinal trauma.

My GHB though, is minimal; water bladder & lightweight inline filter system, lightweight FD food, IFAK, extra socks, Ecotat bivy/poncho, lightweight compact inflatable sleeping pad, a small lightweight rechargeable flashlight and a headlamp.

That's it (firearms/ammo is separate and also lightweight/minimal).

The thread title refers to gear. I see these GHB/BOB lists of gear people will carry if SHTF and I think "that has to weigh at least 40-60 pounds, not including guns/ammo". I know I could never make it home with that kind of load, and if I had to bugout with a BOB, I am not making it far, maybe a couple of miles. I haven't weighed my typical GHB loadout, but I am guessing it is no more than 20 pounds with guns & ammo. I have to keep it light, I am not in shape to be carrying it any distance if it weighs more.

The point of the firefighter is that here is a guy who is young and fit, used to carrying this gear during his job, who has trained to carry this gear, as fast as he can. He has run four marathons before. Look how much it slows him down. Even if you are fit, and can carry all that gear, look how much it will slow you down, even if you can go the distance.

Trim that gear down to the absolute necessary minimums. If you are going to need a GHB or a BOB, it is quite possible you will need to move away from a threat, and/or reach home as fast as possible. It may be a long haul, or it may be a relative "sprint", but either way, time is likely to be a factor. Then there is the issue of what shape you will be in during the trek; you don't want to be exhausted if you have to defend yourself.

Embrace the suck. Through and through. Military makes you resilient that's for sure. Glad I got the privilege and opportunity to serve.

Semper Fidelis.
Being an Airbaby, the suck, was never that bad. Maybe not vacation spots, but I got to see the world. Air Force rucks were never that heavy. Sandwiches, beer and clean underwear for every day out.

My personal point was to reduce weight where you can.

I am overweight and I need to reduce my body weight.

That aside, I will never be in the shape I was 30 years ago even if I lost 80-100 pounds. Just not going to happen with my heart/lungs and spinal trauma.

My GHB though, is minimal; water bladder & lightweight inline filter system, lightweight FD food, IFAK, extra socks, Ecotat bivy/poncho, lightweight compact inflatable sleeping pad, a small lightweight rechargeable flashlight and a headlamp.

That's it (firearms/ammo is separate and also lightweight/minimal).

The thread title refers to gear. I see these GHB/BOB lists of gear people will carry if SHTF and I think "that has to weigh at least 40-60 pounds, not including guns/ammo". I know I could never make it home with that kind of load, and if I had to bugout with a BOB, I am not making it far, maybe a couple of miles. I haven't weighed my typical GHB loadout, but I am guessing it is no more than 20 pounds with guns & ammo. I have to keep it light, I am not in shape to be carrying it any distance if it weighs more.

The point of the firefighter is that here is a guy who is young and fit, used to carrying this gear during his job, who has trained to carry this gear, as fast as he can. He has run four marathons before. Look how much it slows him down. Even if you are fit, and can carry all that gear, look how much it will slow you down, even if you can go the distance.

Trim that gear down to the absolute necessary minimums. If you are going to need a GHB or a BOB, it is quite possible you will need to move away from a threat, and/or reach home as fast as possible. It may be a long haul, or it may be a relative "sprint", but either way, time is likely to be a factor. Then there is the issue of what shape you will be in during the trek; you don't want to be exhausted if you have to defend yourself.
I'd be curious as to the weight of everything I carry on a daily basis. I should go check that out just out of curiousity.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top