JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@receo - You are correct, the Honda EU2000i is a 120volt generator, but when you buy the Honda EU2000i Companion model, you can plug the 2 generators in to each other making one 240volt generator out of the 2-120's.[/QUOTE]

When you run a Honda eu20001 in parallel with another eu2000i or a Honda eu2000 companion it doubles the watts and amps yet maintains 120v.

Here's the specifications from the Honda website regarding the eu2000 companion:
Receptacles 30A 125V Locking Plug, 20A 125 V receptacle

I am no electrical engineer and only know enough to get myself into trouble, can you kindly explain how you manage to get the 240 v out of a 120v receptacle?

@receo - You are correct, the Honda EU2000i is a 120volt generator, but when you buy the Honda EU2000i Companion model, you can plug the 2 generators in to each other making one 240volt generator out of the 2-120's.

When you run a Honda eu20001 in parallel with another eu2000i or a Honda eu2000 companion it doubles the watts and amps yet maintains 120v.

Here's the specifications from the Honda website regarding the eu2000 companion:
Receptacles 30A 125V Locking Plug, 20A 125 V receptacle

I am no electrical engineer and only know enough to get myself into trouble, can you kindly explain how you manage to get the 240 v out of a 120v receptacle?

My apologies...... You are so right, they are in parallel, I have not a clue as to what I was thinking. When in parallel they are still at 125volts.

I'm editing my above posts, way too tired while posting apparently. Thank you for catching that and so tactfully to boot.

But do you understand part of the reason the Yamaha is lighter? Less material in the generator core which will equal less life.

Not saying it is a bad thing but one has to understand the difference in products.

The Honda has a battery and starter and holds more fuel. Is most of your weight savings. The Honda was a great generator but it was to big and heavy for my set up. I do not have a ton of extra room when loaded up to camp ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356327974.677367.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356327974.677367.jpg

My apologies...... You are so right, they are in parallel, I have not a clue as to what I was thinking. When in parallel they are still at 125volts.

I'm editing my above posts, way too tired while posting apparently.

Damn damn damn!
I really hoped it would work as you described. I've been brainstorming a similar project for awhile. There is a YouTube video of a fella who has his two eu2000 generators powering his transfer switch which has four conductors on it. Best I can figure is that you could put 120v on either side of the transfer switch but you could not power any 240v circuits.

Anyhow, I picked up an eu2000i today from coastal @ $999.99. Got a sneak peak of their January coupon book and it has the eu2000i for $999.99 and you get a $100 gift card with purchase. The manager said she would honor the gift card deal on jan1 even though I purchased it today. Happy me.

I go to matches out at COOSA in Bend where everyone is on generators. Have always been impressed with how quiet the Hondas are. I have a 5500 Onan Marquis in the 5th wheel that does a nice job. There are days I wish I had a Honda 2000 for when I need just enough power for the little things.

Go with propane!

Replaced my portable generator with a true standby generator from Home Depot with the automatic transfer switch. I got tire of pouring gas into the portable while it was running, this seemed like a Darwin award stunt in high winds and ice. Thought I could have blown myself into the next county.

I plumbed the generator into the new 1000 gallon propane tank that I got when we switched propane companies. The old company took the old 250 gallon tank and I purchased a 1000 gallon tank which will last for over a year at our current consumption and longer if we conserve. Propane never goes bad like gas or diesel fuel. I know you can add additives to prolong the life of gas and diesel but they are expensive and now that I own my own tank I can shop around for propane and I have been saving over $1.00-1.50 per gallon which makes it half the cost of diesel and almost half the cost of gas.

You can probably do the electric transfer switch yourself but I paid a local electrician to do it on his own time and it was not very expensive, less than half the cost of having the Home Depot electricians install it.

A quick FYI that there is a recall on the Honda EU2000i generator. I saw this in the news the other day and thought I'd post here.
Honda Power Equipment: Honda Generators, Lawn Mowers, Snowblowers, Tillers

The good news is that you can get it fixed at Honda's expense.

Peter

Thanks for that!! Just went out and checked my Generator.......here's more on the recall from Honda's website:
Recall Date: Oct 2012
Model: EU2000i
Affected Units: EAAJ-2260273 - EAAJ-2485025
Description: Fuel Tube Leak

You can find your serial number by looking at the front panel of your Honda EU2000i, rotate your generator clockwise 90degrees, look in the lower right corner....there's going to be a white sticker. There will be your Serial Number.

If you mainly want to run your 120V essentials in an emergency (i.e. fridge, furnace, lights) you might want to consider a Honda EU2000i generator paired with an APC UTS6H transfer switch. The generator is small, lightweight, portable, fuel efficient and quiet. You can also run it in parallel with another EU2000i for twice the output. It is also possible to hook it up to an extended run external gas tank. The transfer switch has load shedding ability and adaptive load management that works well with the small 1600 watts (2000 watts max) output of the EU2000i. .

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i
eu2000-large-724481.jpg

http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=371

Lost power last night. The Honda generator worked great. Pitch black everywhere in the neighborhood accept my house. Not sure that would be best in an unfriendly environment, but we were comfortable here. Down side is I was reminded again that my neighbors are unprepared.

I have an older Honda 4500w with low hours on it. Got it off of Craigslist for next to nothing because the guy thought it was broke. Turned out that the carb bowl was full of varnish. Cleaned it out and did a tune-up, and she runs like a top now!!

I did some rewiring in the garage today that involved shutting off power to the well, so I ran it off the generator for about an hour so my wife could make dinner and the renters could have water. Ran great and we had water.

I just solved our generator needs by buying a salvaged RV generator, converting it to propane and mounting it on a trailer to move with my garden tractor or riding mower. It is an Onan 6.5kw. One possible problem with this approach is that many RV's use 120V only so I got one that can be rewired for 240V. Rewiring was simple as was the propane conversion. This one will run continuously for as long as needed.

fin1.jpg

I have a Humless fueless generator that comes with a solar panel and a hand crank charger in case sun doesn't shine, like that ever happens in Seattle. :) I wanted it because I live in a cookie cutter housing development and I didn't want to draw attention to my generator in case someone decides they want it for themselves. (Of course they would have to get past my bear spray, then my Glock, and my weapon of last resort, my awseome Ithaca shotgun.) I digressed there for a moment... back to my generator. It can be recharged over 2,000 times before going bad and only loses 5 percent of a charge if left on the shelf for a year too. Has lots of different types of adapters you can plug into it and even comes with 12 volt and USB type cell phone charger cables plus rechargable batteries. It won't power the house but I'll have lights and TV so I can watch what's going on when the SHTF. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top