JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20200606_174020.jpg
I took both of these rifles out for a day of shooting with some friends. We are all experienced with the Garand, but it was everybody's first time shooting the Johnson. It took some getting used to, but by the end of the day everyone could run the Johnson and Garand through a 24 round course just about equally. I have to say, having tested both of these rifles, I think the Johnson is superior as a service rifle. No gas system to worry about, easier to clean and maintain (just pop the barrel out), and Johnson was smart enough not to put the safety inside the trigger guard.

If I was going into battle, I would choose the Johnson over the Garand. What say you? Which would you rather have?

I would be looking at, "The most bang for my buck." How easy are they to load and what is the magazine capacity? I carried the M1 and empty, I think it would have made a good club.;)
The Johnson is fed by M1903 stripper clips, so it's pretty easy to load. If you've loaded a Mauser, you can load the Johnson. It's faster to drop an enbloc into the Garand, but the Johnson's 10 round magazine and ability to reload at any time pretty much equalizes them.

Two beautiful and interesting rifles.

Can You give the back story on the Johnson rifle?
How you came by it and how long you have had it?
This particular rifle was found in a pawn shop. I don't know anything about it's history, but I've ordered Canfield's book on Johnson rifles and he's printed serial numbers along with all of Melvin Johnson's records so hopefully I can find something there.

If I was going into battle, I would choose the Johnson over the Garand. What say you? Which would you rather have?

Which one do you prefer to hold... your Garand or your Johnson?

Which one do you prefer to shoot... your Garand or your Johnson???

As for me, I sometimes have a battle of wills with my Johnson. So there's that...

The garand can be completely tore down to the smallest piece very easily, the Johnson not so. Its a amazing rifle but IMO is fairly complicated
Have you taken a Johnson apart? I'm not being a smartass, I'm honestly curious. Because for me personally, I think the Johnson is actually easier to take apart. The barrel and bolt can be easily removed with just a cartridge, and reassembled twice as fast. My friend struggled with the Garand bolt for a solid ten minutes.

Maybe I'll make a youtube video with people who've never disassembled either gun and see which one they think is easier.

Have you taken a Johnson apart? I'm not being a smartass, I'm honestly curious. Because for me personally, I think the Johnson is actually easier to take apart. The barrel and bolt can be easily removed with just a cartridge, and reassembled twice as fast. My friend struggled with the Garand bolt for a solid ten minutes.

Maybe I'll make a youtube video with people who've never disassembled either gun and see which one they think is easier.

There is a learning curve on every gun.

When you learn the in and outs. You can make it look easy.

Im not talking about field striping but a complete disassembly
Its not about learning the "ins and outs" . Unlike the Garand the Johnson rifle has a good number of small parts, something you definatly would not want to strip in the battlefield.
And yes, I have "completely" stripped mine down

Ether one would do the trick, both are reliable and accurate, and both are easy to load and service! Both are complicated, and yet simple! I would say, it comes down to which each person finds works better for them!

I have owned 3 each M1's, 1 each M1941 Johnson, and 3 each FN 49's. All are good rifles for the purpose they were designed for and each has it's strengths and weakness. BTW I used to shoot the M1's in competition but after I shot the FN 49's I sold all my M1's.

M1941 Johnson had some accuracy issues elevation changes. But the Johnson is sure an interesting valuable rifle.
I don't know what your course of fire was but I would like to see it shoot with a Garand out to 600 yards at a Highpower match?:rolleyes:
IMG_3063.JPG

M1941 Johnson had some accuracy issues elevation changes. But the Johnson is sure an interesting valuable rifle.
I don't know what your course of fire was but I would like to see it shoot with a Garand out to 600 yards at a Highpower match?:rolleyes:
View attachment 709863
I would love to do that! I'd even let you shoot it too, just to keep the results consistent :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top