Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Galil Caliber?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jrc99, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jrc99

jrc99 Fairview, OR Member

So I know that an AK47 Galil that I found at J&G Sales is a .223 cal. Question does that mean I can't use 5.56? :huh:

2. Floyd91

Floyd91 Eugene Member

Generally yes.

3. jrc99

I kinda figured. But I do find it easier to purchase .223 ammo anyway. :thumbup:

4. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

That Galil is derived from military arms and is very likely chambered in Nato spec 5.56. The vendor probably just misnamed it as .223, not remembering that there is a difference. I find lots of oversight errors on gun vendor websites---no knowledgeable editors...................elsullo

5. jrc99

See that the thing that I figured that the NATO Spec 5.56 would have the same circumference in the casing as the NATO 5.56?

I'm plannig on getting one when I get my tax refund and I'm going to look for it at the Gun & Knife Show at the Expo and talk with the peeps I'll buy from about that.

6. Floyd91

Floyd91 Eugene Member

The barons den in eugene has one in stock right now. Better buy it before I change my mind and go back and get it. :laugh:

7. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

If the gun was built with an original military barrel, it will be 5.56.

If it was built with a new commercial barrel, it is more than likely .223.