JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a Danner fanboi...normally switch between Rainforests and the all swuede Marine desert boots...added a pair of hiking boots last year because they were on sale.
I Looooooove the Marine boots, super comfy and all the ankle support I need, but they have been discontinued :(...Rainforests are my "go to", have had prolly 5 pair in the last 25 years, get excellent wear from them.
Anything footwear anymore is trial and error, my luck has been good with USA made Danners, but I know some people who have had issues...Whites are top motch also, may try a set after I burn theougj my current...

I'm on my 4th pair of irish setter elk hunter boots, no insulation.
I literally wear them daily both year round work (land surveying, I walk a lot) and through hunting season(also walk a lot) . I get a year out of them, and only replace each fall for super grip during hunting. Is hard to wear them out. great fit from day one and as I said great wear.

I laugh at all these posters That get years out of boots. I walk about 180-200 miles a month and i cant get more Than about 6 months out of any set of boots no matter how expensive. I agree columbia bugaboo boots are my go to work boots and cheap at the outlet stores but way to hot to backpack with.

Do you wear out the soles?

Depending on how you walk and the footwear, some people wear out certain parts of the soles faster than someone else might. So of the shoes I have worn, have worn out the heels. Some the ball of the foot. That is all a good reason to have multiple pairs and not to wear the same footwear every day. I have insulated boots, uninsulated, in between, and so on. Maybe at least 5 different pairs of boots and more shoes than that. It is mostly shoes that I wear unless I am going to be doing chores.

Do you wear out the soles?

Depending on how you walk and the footwear, some people wear out certain parts of the soles faster than someone else might. So of the shoes I have worn, have worn out the heels. Some the ball of the foot. That is all a good reason to have multiple pairs and not to wear the same footwear every day. I have insulated boots, uninsulated, in between, and so on. Maybe at least 5 different pairs of boots and more shoes than that. It is mostly shoes that I wear unless I am going to be doing chores.
Yep i kill the soles, i even use metal push pins on the worn spots to try and extend the life of the soles, a few month in the laces usualy mutany which i change out for 550 cord, then shortly after a seam will blow or the lace eyelets break. I use bugaboo boots for work, crocks for home ive got merrils for around town walking and speedcross5 's for any woods hiking and backpacking speedcross5's rock, traction like a dirtbike they are light the gtx are waterproof and they breath, i do immediatly change out the laces on them with 550cord tho but they wear out fast on pavement so they are off road only shoes.

I laugh at all these posters That get years out of boots. I walk about 180-200 miles a month and i cant get more Than about 6 months out of any set of boots no matter how expensive. I agree columbia bugaboo boots are my go to work boots and cheap at the outlet stores but way to hot to backpack with.
That's why I put it into context. :) I wouldn't even get 180-200 miles out of them for the hiking I do when I hunt. It got down to -3F last season, and 13F without windchill during the day. Anything above 40 or 50F I would find something less insulated to hike in for sure. Sweaty feet and hard walking with big elevation changes don't mix well. I may check out your other ones you listed. Thanks for the tip!

I've developed the habit of whenever I discover an important consumer good that fits, works, lasts, durable, affordable, etc. I buy several. Companies often change products, models, cut corners on manufacturing, outsource, etc. and once I have a product I like there's an advantage to having many.

This absolutely applies to shoes and boots. I have stacks of new unopened boxes of excellent pairs purchased on sale, deep discounts, clearance, etc. My feet size won't change, but finding quality and affordable pairs is a hassle...

For example, a few months back I posted a sale on Bates boots used by US Marines. I've worn the brand in the Army and was impressed. They were discounted from like $150 to $30. So I bought 1 pair to test and when they were perfect and well made, I bought about a dozen total. Pairs for bags, car trunks, different duties, and many pairs for another day...

I've found this system works pretty well and is very frugal and economically sound if they are products you will need at some point, especially with the risk of a devaluing dollar, trade wars, companies going out of business, supplies of various things being interrupted, demand spikes, etc.

I know a few people that have had their White resoled and/or rebuilt multiple times over the years, might be worth it to you checking them out.
Rebuilding: White's Boots, Inc.

While I live in a pair of boots 10+ hours a day 6+ days a week I find the most comfortable boots for me wears out quickly. The Cabelas Meindels are fantastic for me but rarely get more then several months out of them. Kenetrek lineman boots and my La Sportivas are almost as comfortable but last much longer. Danners and Keens are ok if ya dont need to dig with a shovel as they seem to destroy the sole when you stomp on the shovel. Last pair of Keens lasted a total of 9 work days.

Completely different approach.

Toughen up your feet!

I hike and jog as well as bike in Vibram 5 fingers.

Boots and socks are a luxury now.

1593057022910.jpeg

Right now I got Nicks and Danners and but I spend most of the time in some UA trail shoes. They all serve different purposes.

It is nice having Nicks and Whites here in town. If you go in, they have a clearance rack of custom boots someone never picked up, blems etc. I got my Nicks for $175, normally north of 5 bills.

I have odd shaped feet I can not find an athletic shoe to fit them without hurting even wide one ones. However I found a certain size of Danner that fits. Not any Danner boot most kill my feet but they don't just sell different sizes and widths they also sell different shapes so my feet fit what is called 650 last. This is what most of their higher end duty and hunting boots are made in and they are the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn. I can't find a sneaker half as comfortable. They are durable, waterproof and tough as I need them to be.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads